Just ordered XV level II suspension

Author Topic: Just ordered XV level II suspension  (Read 36262 times)

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
Re: Just ordered XV level II suspension
« Reply #45 on: May 02, 2008 - 05:37:24 AM »
   :wow:   :clapping:   :working:  you must have liked doing jig saw puzzles as a kid, will work fine when finished.  Keep us posted.   :picture:  love the pics.   :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #46 on: May 02, 2008 - 07:23:02 AM »
 :woo: thaks for the update  :woo:

It is looking very cool  :2thumbs:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #47 on: May 02, 2008 - 07:29:39 AM »
Very nice! I think this is one of the first XV II builds by a DIY guy. Keep the pics coming. Great stuff! I'm interested in your brake decision on the rear also.
Wes

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #48 on: May 03, 2008 - 07:39:06 PM »
 WOW looks like its going to be fun when done!
Very nice! I think this is one of the first XV II builds by a DIY guy. Keep the pics coming. Great stuff! I'm interested in your brake decision on the rear also.
Wes
  :iagree
for the rear brakes did you see dr diffs rear brakes? they maybe a bit small diam for you but maybe a set of aftermarket big diam rotors for the stock mustang and some custom brakets to move the calipers out farther than dr diffs brackets? They at least use the stock mopar brg's :dunno:
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #49 on: May 04, 2008 - 11:35:06 AM »
Yes...Thanks for the pics!!   Looks great! You are really getting at it!    :woo: 
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline gkring

« Reply #50 on: May 04, 2008 - 01:05:43 PM »
WOW looks like its going to be fun when done!   :iagree
for the rear brakes did you see dr diffs rear brakes? they maybe a bit small diam for you but maybe a set of aftermarket big diam rotors for the stock mustang and some custom brakets to move the calipers out farther than dr diffs brackets? They at least use the stock mopar brg's :dunno:

Well sonce the front uses corvette knuckle all the C5 corvette stuff will bolt up. the dealership where i work also cas a GMC/Cadillac franchise so I can get the new C6Z06 brakes at cost. The Z06 stuff has 14 inch front rotors and 6 piston calipers, rears are 13 inch 4 piston. The corvette lettering is just painted on and easily removed. The Strange S-60 rear uses big ford bearings, but has a standard Mopar flange pattern. knowing what I know now it would have been better to just put Ford ends on it. Lots of aftermarket brackets for the ford 9 inch, but not much for a big bearing Mopar. I want the front and rear calipers to match. The XV stuff is kind of out of the question. I have spent too much with them already and their prices on brakes don't fare well against the competition. Still looking at all my options. If I can find the correct rear bracket or have one made to duplicate the corvette mounting then it opens up all the corvetter factory and aftermarket options. The rear has a parking brake inside the rotor, which is what is keeping us from making a simple bracket.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #51 on: May 04, 2008 - 01:11:02 PM »
Before and after on the rear shock mount. I wanted to cut this out while the car was still on it's side before I set it down to jig up the rear end. The factory shock mount just holds the shock, but the new setup will be coilover which are supporting the whole rear of the car. It will get replaced with a 2 inch square tube mount in about the same location. Also will free up some room. As you will see it starts getting crowded with the three link mount, through the frame swaybar, panhard bar, etc.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 - 11:40:39 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #52 on: May 04, 2008 - 01:14:53 PM »
The plan last night was to get the diff in and all mocked up to start tack welding the brackets, third link mount. Since I am using the Dr Diff 1 inch offset front spring mounts I have to move the mounts on the diff in as well. I started out by squaring the diff to the ground, then setting the bracket on and equalizing them from end to end and leveling them as well. In this pic the rear is upside down and you can see how the three link bracket is made. Designed to be sandwiched between the rear and the cover and bolts to the stock pinion snubber mount that is no longer needed. All I need to do is tack weld the brackets in place and Dr. Diff is going to finish out the rest. All I have at this shop anyway is a 110 Lincoln using flux core wire. My bigger 220 setup is currently at my brothers. Any weldng that needs to look pretty on this car I am going to let someone else do!
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 - 11:41:18 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #53 on: May 04, 2008 - 01:33:26 PM »
This is as far as I got last night. Trying to get an idea where everything will lay out before I start welding. the instructions are decent with the kit, but you are on your own as far as measurements. I will need to drill a 2 inch hole to mount the sway bat through the framerail on both sides. That is going to be tricky as it has to match up with the diff axels, go over the three link mount, but clear the floorpan, and line up with a second hole on the other framerail. They sent a template, but it is about worthless as it doesn't look to be to scale and won't match up to the framerail. I will end up having to make my own. I think I will go get some 2 inch PVC to mock it up inside the framerails and make sure it clears before drilling. Still have swaybar, panhard bar, and lower shock mounts to locate. So far it is looking pretty good. There have been quite a few issues with XV sending all the parts and the correct parts so it has been delaying the build. However they have taken care of everything so far, it just puts a frustrating delay in there to deal with. Good thing I am doing this myself, if I had this in a shop paying someone and we had a week delay because we had two left side widgets or was missing the muffler bearings I would be in trouble with them. Cars are hard to move out of the way with no suspension and you have everything tied down and level.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 - 11:41:50 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #54 on: May 04, 2008 - 01:48:44 PM »
Keep the pictures comming! :thumbsup: I have also bought the Level II rear. Like you, I'm waiting on some missing parts before I can begin to install the system. I think I'm going to copy your offset hanger solution.   :cheers:
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #55 on: May 04, 2008 - 07:07:30 PM »
Looking great!  :thumbsup: I really like the "install" pictures. Please continue posting these as you proceed.

Offline gkring

« Reply #56 on: May 05, 2008 - 01:17:40 AM »
Another day and another few inches of progress. The rear sway bar mounts through the frame. You know how hard it is to drill two 2" holes through both framerails and have them line up exactly while clearing other suspension parts? I do now! I had to oval the holes out a little to be able to get the hollow sway bar straight so it rotated freely. As you can see in the picture the sway bar is almost sitting right on top of the third link. I couldn't raise the swaybar any higher as the bars on the end would be to close to the floorpan and would not be able to rotate. I think the Dana 60 rear is just so big the three link bar is higher up than it would be on a 8.75 rear. The lower arms are supposed to be level at ride height and I'm guessing the third link should be pointed down. My experience before has always been with four link style rears as far as moving them around to change a cars instant center and how it affected the launches. I'm kind of lost on this third link deal. It is too short for me to be able to accurately measure where it should mount on the body to get a good instant center, but since XV doesn't address it I guess it is not critical on a setup like this? Once I get the swaybar just right I can tack the lower shock mounts and start on the panhard bar. Then that big heavy rear can come out to get finish welded, powdercoated, and assembled. As fancy as the front setup looks, the rear is way more complicated to install.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2009 - 11:42:54 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #57 on: May 05, 2008 - 07:10:12 AM »
 :2thumbs:

looks good but what a lot of work  :faint:

please keep the photos comming.  :picture:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #58 on: May 05, 2008 - 11:53:23 PM »
Awesome. Keep working out the kinks so we can learn........ :bigsmile:
Seriously, it looks great and I can't wait to get to that point of an install!
Wes

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #59 on: May 07, 2008 - 07:59:55 PM »
Keep the great photos coming! Love to see a real-world install of some out of this world stuff! :clapping:
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!