Author Topic: Just ordered XV level II suspension  (Read 36276 times)

Offline gkring

Re: Just ordered XV level II suspension
« Reply #75 on: June 29, 2008 - 04:15:22 AM »
quick pic of the clearancing on the body for the lower control arm. I don't know why the just didn't use a bar liek the air ride setup. The aluminum control arm looks cool, but is pretty tall and some trimming is required to clear. I currently have this one in the upper hole of the DR diff mount. The idea is for this lower bar to be level at ride height. Between this bar being level and the forced ride height of the shock setting you are pretty limited on where the axle will end up at. I can move this bar down one hole if needed and I have tried to give myself as much adjustment room as possible in the coilovers. I won't know 100% how the car will end up until I get tires, wheel, axles, etc. I also don't have years of experience building ground up suspensions or chassis setups so I am just going off what I read and think will work as far as trying to get it all set right.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #76 on: June 29, 2008 - 04:20:31 AM »
Shocks installed, rear at ride height. Panhard bar clearance is also very tight since the shackle was moved in 1.5 inches. probably would not be a bad idea to leave the shackles where XV recommends and just offset the spacers on the lower control arm instead. That way the panhard bracket clears and the shocks remain in the original location. Unless you are determined to run the 330 size tires it won't be necessary to try to sneak the extra inch per side.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #77 on: June 29, 2008 - 04:27:59 AM »
One thing I didn't jack with was the measurements on this panhard bar bracket. Set it up just like the XV instructions, but the panhard bar interferes with the gas tank, so it will get cut back off and moved an inch or two forward. I will probably end up cutting the panhard bar and adding an adjustable link in it to both shorten it for cleance and to be able to sset the length perfectly. The J bar brace also will get removed and replaced with a longer one I will have to make. The way it is now gives no room for exhaust clearance. What is weird is that the XV pictures on their site and the instructions show this J bar brace to reach almost to the middle of the car. That would allow the exhaust to go over it and have plenty of clearance. Here is a pic of mine  followed by a picture from the XV site. Obvious difference in the lengths of the J bar brace. Also notice how short their bump stops are on the shocks. They are almost nonexistant!
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #78 on: June 29, 2008 - 04:38:45 AM »
I think it is about as good as it can get right now. The rear needs to come back out and get sent off to get finished. Brakes will get ordered, 90% sure it will be the Wilwoods. The front will be the next to tackle, but the upper control arm and shock mount assembly is going to take some professional welding to install and has to wait. Gotta save up for some wheels and tires so this thing can roll and get on the ground for the sheetmetal work to start.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #79 on: June 29, 2008 - 10:48:54 AM »
Looks like it is really coming along Greg.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #80 on: June 29, 2008 - 10:55:21 AM »
One thing I didn't jack with was the measurements on this panhard bar bracket. Set it up just like the XV instructions, but the panhard bar interferes with the gas tank, so it will get cut back off and moved an inch or two forward. I will probably end up cutting the panhard bar and adding an adjustable link in it to both shorten it for cleance and to be able to sset the length perfectly. The J bar brace also will get removed and replaced with a longer one I will have to make. The way it is now gives no room for exhaust clearance. What is weird is that the XV pictures on their site and the instructions show this J bar brace to reach almost to the middle of the car. That would allow the exhaust to go over it and have plenty of clearance. Here is a pic of mine  followed by a picture from the XV site. Obvious difference in the lengths of the J bar brace. Also notice how short their bump stops are on the shocks. They are almost nonexistant!
Hey gkring,

I keep coming back and looking and for the life of me........... i can not work out how that panhard would work with a solid mount on the chassis side. :clueless: Am i missing something :dunno:

Other than that everything is way cool :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline gkring

« Reply #81 on: June 29, 2008 - 12:24:39 PM »
Hey gkring,

I keep coming back and looking and for the life of me........... i can not work out how that panhard would work with a solid mount on the chassis side. :clueless: Am i missing something :dunno:

Other than that everything is way cool :2thumbs:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

Panhard bar will allow the rear to move side to side in an arc as the suspension moves, just not very much. You have to remember the suspension only has about 4 inches of total travel from fully compressed to wheels in the air extended. The Watts type linkage is what the really serious road race guys use, but it is usually more weight and way more complicated. You have to use something with a three link suspension to keep the rear stable. if it was a four link with nonparallel arms like most coil spring musclecars you wouldn't need anything.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2008 - 09:00:49 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #82 on: June 29, 2008 - 07:28:41 PM »
Thanks for the hands on updates. All the work you are having to do to make this fit really makes me question buying their rear suspension. Great work by the way. Nice job you're doing!
Wes

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #83 on: June 29, 2008 - 07:35:28 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panhard_rod

Panhard bar will allow the reaqr to move side to side in an arc as the suspension moves, just not very much. You have to remember the suspension only has about 4 inches of total travel from fully compressed to wheels in the air extended. The Watts type linkage is what the really serious road race guys use, but it is usually more weight and way more complicated. You have to use something with a three link suspension to keep the rear stable. if it was a four link with nonparallel arms like most coil spring musclecars you wouldn't need anything.

I know exactly how a Panhard works :grinyes: What i mean is do you have a pivot knuckle on the chassis bracket side, it looks to have a slide for adjustment but no means of pivoting.  The diff side of the panhard most deffinetely has the pivot point.  Do you understand what i mean buddy :swaying:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #84 on: June 29, 2008 - 07:39:53 PM »
Hey Ken, the joint is inside the U shaped pass side bracket mount, it's just hard to tell from the photos
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #85 on: June 29, 2008 - 07:44:32 PM »
Oh i see now............. Thanks Eric. :2thumbs:

It kept looking lik the tube was welded to box tube until you said that.  Now i can see the cut away section for the panhard to slide up and down inside the box section with the teeth to hold it at certain set heights :crazy:

Thanks again. :woo:

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #86 on: June 29, 2008 - 08:00:21 PM »
Hi Greg,

Though I haven't seen it mentioned, is the XV front mount for the upper control arm 1/2 or 5/8 material that you weld into the car? I'm assuming that is the welding you mention.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline Travis72

« Reply #87 on: June 29, 2008 - 10:29:33 PM »
Great pics and info. Thanks for detailing the installation.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline gkring

« Reply #88 on: June 29, 2008 - 10:46:59 PM »
Hi Greg,

Though I haven't seen it mentioned, is the XV front mount for the upper control arm 1/2 or 5/8 material that you weld into the car? I'm assuming that is the welding you mention.

It is a prewelded assembly witht he mounts for the upper control arms and the coilover shock mount as well.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #89 on: June 30, 2008 - 02:06:45 PM »

Ah ok, haven't seen pics of that piece before except welded into the car already.
thanks!