Just ordered XV level II suspension

Author Topic: Just ordered XV level II suspension  (Read 36271 times)

Offline gkring

Re: Just ordered XV level II suspension
« Reply #90 on: July 04, 2008 - 12:51:47 AM »
More issues. Looks like a Dana is going to cause even more problems. No room for the panhard bar with a heavy duty cover. I don't have a stock sheetmetal one to install to check for clearance. I am starting to wish I had just went with an air ride and an alterkation front end. This setup is definitely not a bolt in deal or even close to it. Hopefully XV will continue helping. I'm going to contact them to see how many Danas they have put in. All their magazine cars have 8.75s.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #91 on: July 04, 2008 - 07:56:15 PM »
from the camera angle it almost looks like the cover is going to get up close and personal with the fuel tank too. Hopefully there is an easy solution.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #92 on: July 04, 2008 - 07:57:31 PM »
It even looks as though the tank will not fit with the panhard bar :clueless:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #93 on: July 04, 2008 - 08:29:25 PM »
wow that sucks  :banghead: you may need to change to an 8 3/4 or a small gas tank.  :faint:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #94 on: July 04, 2008 - 08:33:11 PM »
Sorry you are having trouble with the setup Greg. I bet XV will step up to the plate to help you though, seems like those guys have a good understanding of what customer service means.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline gkring

« Reply #95 on: July 04, 2008 - 08:48:08 PM »
It even looks as though the tank will not fit with the panhard bar :clueless:

It doesn't.
Going with the XV measurements the panhard just barely hits the gas tank. I was going to move it, but was waiting on the cover to get it as close to the rearend as possible. Obviously that won't work with this cover. Worst case will be to build a smaller tank which may not be a big deal if I was going to build one anyway. With this cover the panhard bar won't work, even without a gas tank. maybe if the mount on the diff was 4 or 5 inches longer to keep the panhard parallel to eh diff tubes, but that will require more bracing and fabrication. Not out of the question, just not looking forward to it.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #96 on: July 05, 2008 - 12:23:33 AM »
Would you have enough room if you mounted the diff cover and converted the Panhard in to a watts link ? :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline IMNCARN82

• Resident
  • LeDZeP
« Reply #97 on: July 05, 2008 - 05:37:53 PM »
Hang in there man!!  It will be worth it...   The XV stuff(at this level) IMO should only be done by them. You are transforming the car into almost something totaly different.Not to say it can't be done by a very mechanically skilled and patient person.But I'd want it done by someone who's done it. :2cents: Keep your chin up and keep making progress somewhere on the car.We are pulling for you! YOU CAN DO IT!!!! :2thumbs: :drunk:
'73 340 5 speed,RMS,BAER,... "Supercuda" (O[   ]||||[   ]O)  
'69 Dodge Charger 383,Auto                  (OiiiiiiiiiiIiiiiiiiiiiO)
13' Challenger R/T BlacktoP  6spd. (OO________OO)
71' Demon
75' Duster
87' Conquest TSI
56' Plaza
Boulder CO
Robert    "cuda bob"

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #98 on: July 06, 2008 - 04:10:59 PM »
I vote for putting the stock cover back on the dana and selling the cast aluminum one to a drag racing guy. You won't break that rear end anyway. The added space would be well worth it.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline 808cuda

• RARE Fish!
« Reply #99 on: July 06, 2008 - 06:02:38 PM »
More issues. Looks like a Dana is going to cause even more problems. No room for the panhard bar with a heavy duty cover. I don't have a stock sheetmetal one to install to check for clearance. I am starting to wish I had just went with an air ride and an alterkation front end. This setup is definitely not a bolt in deal or even close to it. Hopefully XV will continue helping. I'm going to contact them to see how many Danas they have put in. All their magazine cars have 8.75s.

The first pic you have with the cover loosely on is not accurate. Once you have set some preload on those adjuster screws, the screws should stick out no more than a 1/4".
I had the same issue whe I installed a S60 Dana into my '98 Trans Am. The panhard rod (tubular) would interfere just as in you pic. Once the preload was set, I simply ground the exposed scews 'till they were flush. Tight fit but never rubbed.

Good luck in whatever you choose and keep us posted with your progress! Thanks for sharing!
1970 N96 Cuda 340 4speed (now Keisler 5 speed)

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #100 on: July 07, 2008 - 01:21:56 AM »
I have an S60 and the girdle cap too, My threads don't stick out but  a 1/4" either. If you cant get her done you could always get an 8 3/4. It is a lighter rear end and should match with the performance parameters of the rear suspension system.
Did they not warn you about using the Dana. I called them up and asked them about this when they first came out with it. I noticed they only used 8 3/4 rears. They said something to the effect that it is a better for handling suspension since it is lighter and that's just the rear they designed the suspension with.

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #101 on: July 07, 2008 - 01:24:27 AM »
Also, you could mill the "Jegs" off the cover and get another 1/4" or so. You don't need to advertise for free for anyone anyway. Coupled with cutting the threads on the pre-load adj. and thinner nuts I'd say you may squeak by. just use a dab of loc-tite on the threads.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2008 - 01:27:55 AM by go-fish »

Offline gkring

« Reply #102 on: July 07, 2008 - 01:46:57 AM »
There is room for the cover and the gas tank, but not the bar as well. The pictures don't really show how close the cover is to the tank due to the angles. The bar hits the cover, not just the preload screws. in my pics the bracket on the diff tube isn't welded in place, just ziptied. I got a few options to try and make it work. A slightly smaller tank will probably be a must. The only reason I went with the Dana is the convert had a small 7.5 rear and I had to buy an all new one anyway. If I had known i would have put the Dana in the cuda for future racecar use and used the 8.75 from it in the convert. That is assuming the 8.75 does fit better. The only thing XV said was to not use a Moser Dana since it didn't work well with their third link brackets. After it is all said and done it will be worth it. This cover was for looks anyway, the Dana itself is already overkill.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #103 on: July 07, 2008 - 05:54:50 AM »
Do you have the ball type or cone type axle bearings. The S60 is overkill for me as well. I have the Air Bar four link with coil-overs from RMS.

Offline gkring

« Reply #104 on: July 07, 2008 - 04:35:48 PM »
I am pretty sure it is the ball type, but I know it is the larger ford bearing. Supposedly the "big Ford" bearing ends?
I was going by what Cass from DR. Diff recommended.

Greg
1970 Barracuda driver