Author Topic: Just ordered XV level II suspension  (Read 36258 times)

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Just ordered XV level II suspension
« Reply #120 on: November 16, 2008 - 01:32:59 AM »
wow, that is really close to the fuel tank, don't the straps for the tank sit off the tank a little? At least there shouldn't be any fore/aft movement of the axle with the XV setup to contend with. Will be cool to see it all in there.
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #121 on: November 16, 2008 - 07:53:59 AM »
The supplied j-bar is to short, it would hit my exhaust, so I've made a new one. Here are some pics that show my TTI 2.5" exhaust.

Here is the car on the ground, next step is the holes for the sway bar..

Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #122 on: November 22, 2008 - 08:43:25 AM »
What does the rear upper control arm bolt to?Is the bracket just welded to the floor?  :clueless:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #123 on: November 22, 2008 - 10:49:03 AM »
If you mean the 3rd link, then yeah. There is a 2mm plate between the floor and the bracket to strengthen it.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2008 - 05:11:16 PM by jvike »

Offline gkring

« Reply #124 on: November 24, 2008 - 12:41:11 AM »
Did a little playing with the front end tonight. Mostly just fitting it up and visualizing what is left to do. The Dana has been shipped to Dr. Diff to get finished up. Will be ordering up the brakes soon. I'll need them to finish fitting up the rear even though they are a big expense that I will not be needing soon.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Travis72

« Reply #125 on: November 24, 2008 - 01:58:06 AM »
Looks interesting.... keep the pics coming.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #126 on: November 24, 2008 - 07:35:31 AM »
Nice work, is that an Datsun 240/260/280Z in the background? A friend of mine has a mint '71 Datsun 240Z. Nice little cars.

Did you decide to go with Wilwood or XV brakes? My brother has Wilwood 4piston/13" discs on all corners with a hydraboost. Got insane brakingpower!

Offline gkring

« Reply #127 on: November 24, 2008 - 09:43:52 AM »
Nice work, is that an Datsun 240/260/280Z in the background? A friend of mine has a mint '71 Datsun 240Z. Nice little cars.

Did you decide to go with Wilwood or XV brakes? My brother has Wilwood 4piston/13" discs on all corners with a hydraboost. Got insane brakingpower!

yep, series 1 240Z, then a Buick Grand national behind that one that is getting lost in the black. The Z is mine and has been converted over to turbo and fuel injection, the Buick is a customer car to help pay for the Mopars!
I am pretty sure I am going with 6 piston Wilwoods superlites in front and 4 piston rears, all with 13 inch rotors. I was going to do a hydroboost setup, but I keep hearing how using manual brakes with rotors this big is the way to go? So much stopping power that the assist is not needed and you get better feel without.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #128 on: November 25, 2008 - 08:35:25 AM »
I don't know... I realy like the hydraboost, I'm getting one for sure when I do the brakes someday.... Just get a big bore MC to match all those pistons. My brother can lock all 4 wheels no problem..

But on the other hand, I haven't driven a manual big brake car. I know Steven Rupp (Bad Penny) has a manual setup with big Wilwoods..

Offline gkring

« Reply #129 on: November 25, 2008 - 11:26:31 PM »
well, ordered the brakes today after numerous calls to Cass at DrDiff, Frank at Prodigy Customs, Wilwood, Moser, etc. Cass has assured me after everything is said and done it is still better to go with the Mopar housing ends and modify the Mopar brake kits to work with the bigger bearings he uses in the axles. Anyway it will be a couple weeks before the brakes show up. I went with 6 piston fixed calipers from Wilwood (in red) with 13 inch rotors in the front and 13 inch 4 piston rears with the parking brake built into the rotor like a late model. Manual brakes per Frank at Prodigy. He says better brake feel, less weight and clutter. If I decide we do not like it I can always add a booster or hydroboost later. I expressly stated that I wanted a car anyone could get into and drive without having to give them a list of the idiosyncracies of the brakes.
Sorry, couldn't find any pics with red calipers
Might have to start a brake thread
« Last Edit: November 25, 2008 - 11:28:20 PM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #130 on: November 25, 2008 - 11:32:18 PM »
Tell me a bit more......I thought Wilwoods with a parking brake (rear) weren't available for Mopar ends? Enlighten me please.
Thanks, Wes

Offline gkring

« Reply #131 on: November 25, 2008 - 11:57:42 PM »
It's available. My problem is I went with the bigger 3.15 Ford Torino bearing versus the typical Mopar Green bearing these kits are designed for. Here is a pic below of the internal parking brake setup. The calipers, mounts, rotors and hats are all mix and match stuff so ignore them in the picture. As far as the parking brake it is all Ford Explorer based/copied stuff? The center hub on the backing plate has to be opened up and the bearing retainer plate will either have to be modified or fabricated. Cass assured me he could handle it all. he has very similar parts already made for his 13 inch setups. I wanted the look of the fixed piston, otherwise his floating caliper Ford Cobra style brakes would have been perfect. Another reason I put Frank at prodigy and Cass at DrDiff together as they both have mucho experience in this area and know exactly what to ask for. The other option is the XV kits, but expect a $1500+ premium over the Wilwoods. The old XV stoptechs had an extra spot caliper for the parking brake, but I think their current setup uses the internal shoe style.
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline gkring

« Reply #132 on: November 26, 2008 - 12:16:42 AM »
I also came across these for my Z car project. Fixed piston witrh mechanical parking brake and not near as complicated as the in the rotor style setup. probably much easier to adapt. Problem is limited availability and fitments. maybe no bigger than a 11 inch rotor setup?
« Last Edit: November 30, 2008 - 12:36:14 AM by gkring »
Greg
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Travis72

« Reply #133 on: November 26, 2008 - 06:01:07 PM »
Should be a sweet setup.  I've got the red 6-pistons on the front of my Cuda.  I've also dealt with both Cass and Frank and they are really great, knowledgeable guys.  So you have the Ford "set 20" bearings?  If I would have thought it through, I would have had Cass narrow my rear end and add those housing ends.

Travis
72 Cuda

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #134 on: November 27, 2008 - 09:24:17 AM »
Greg,
A couple threads up you mention Cass said it's best to go with the Mopar  housing ends and mopar brake kits and modify, but the last thread you mention you went with the Torino bearings. Just trying to make sense...sorry. Did you have Mopar ends or Ford? Or was Cass just saying it would have been better to stick with the Mopar ends?

Thanks, Wes