Author Topic: Removing a 3rd Member  (Read 18195 times)

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Removing a 3rd Member
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:46:30 PM »
Approx 2 qts of gear oil , i use synthetic 75-90 but regular 80-90 works too

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2008 - 11:29:45 PM »
Hey Chryco should synthetic oil only be used on new or freshly rebuilt 3rd members or is it okay to run it on 3rd members with a lot of miles on them?
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2008 - 12:53:05 AM »
As long as the friction modifier is used I cannot see it damaging anything , the oil is superior is shear & load

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2008 - 03:49:56 PM »
This may sound like a silly question, but do I need to dissasemble the brakes to get the axles out?  I was told that I didn't need to, but then again that friend owns a chebby, not a mopar..... :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline matt63

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2008 - 03:54:30 PM »
Just pull the drums off.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline RDF

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2008 - 05:48:12 PM »
ok, got them out and dropped the third member.....I took Goodys advise and took off all the bolts except the top one and opened the gap to let it drain.  I tried the trani-jack, but it was too big (too wide and bulky) under there so I just used a floor jack as recommended by Matt63 and lowered it slowly as I guided it with my hands.  All in all, it took about 1.5 hours to do.

It's definately an open carrier and it's confirmed with 2.76's...I read it on the ring gear and the rear-end tag.  So off they go tomorrow to get replaced with a suregrip unit and 3.91's.  I'll keep everyone posted as to how the install progress goes and what the end results are like on the street.  Stay tuned!!!  :burnout:
« Last Edit: February 22, 2008 - 05:57:18 PM by RDF »
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2008 - 06:07:33 PM »
I just moved the brake setup out of the way. You don't need to take them apart. I had never done it before until recently. It was pretty easy though.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2008 - 10:48:40 PM »
Sounds good robert, for the books i've had my axles out twice and yet to pull the brake assembly  with minimal resistance  :2thumbs:

We'll have to line 'em up once you get all set  :naughty:
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline RDF

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2008 - 09:12:04 AM »
We'll have to line 'em up once you get all set  :naughty:

You're on pal......I just have to tune my carb next and then it should be good to go!  :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2008 - 10:56:37 AM »
When you get your center section back, make sure that you have the center pins or block in your sure grip. Some use a block, some use 2 "headed-pins" that insert from each side.
Some of those guys expect you to run green bearings and don't include the pins when installing your sure-grip.
ASK THEM ABOUT THIS!  Those pins are available aftermarket and without them you will never get your axle end play adjusted. Hopefully you will have the block type. It doesn't fall out.

When installing your axles, install the left one first and tighten down it's bearing retainer. Move to the passenger side, back off the adjuster, then tighten the 4 retainer bolts that don't hold the adjuster lock. You should be able to spin the adjuster with these 4 tight. Now adjust the endplay.

While you have your axles out, get 2 INNER grease seals and install them in the alxe housing (cheap and easy)
  Do not use green bearings.

Rob
« Last Edit: October 25, 2009 - 08:57:30 AM by ShelbyDogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline RDF

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2008 - 01:25:07 PM »
When you get your center section back, make sure that you have the center pins or block in your sure grip. Some use a block, some use 2 "headed-pins" that insert from each side.
Some of those guys expect you to run green bearings and don't include the pins when installing your sure-grip.
ASK THEM ABOUT THIS!  Those pins are available aftermarket and without them you will never get your axle end play adjusted. Hopefully you will have the block type. It doesn't fall out.
 When installing your axles, install the left one first and tighten down it's bearing retainer. Move to the passenger side, back off the adjuster, then tighten the 4 retainer bolts that don't hold the adjuster lock. You should be able to spin the adjuster with these 4 tight. Now adjust the endplay.

While you have your axles out, get 2 INNER grease seals and install them in the alxe housing (cheap and easy)
  Do not use green bearings.

Rob

Pins, blocks? What?  I've never heard of this  :clueless:.....and what's the endplay??  I didn't know you could adjust endplay in the rear end....where? how?  more important, why??  Now you got me scared putting this thing back in.... :faint:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: February 23, 2008 - 01:43:26 PM »
You have to adjust the endplay of the axles. When you pulled the axles you probably will see a tab hooked to one of the studs, and it locks into a adjuster to hold. I beleive the spec is ~.030" endplay
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #27 on: February 23, 2008 - 06:13:28 PM »
Ask the guy doing your "pig" about the block or pins. The axles will butt up against this center piece when installed into the center section.  It allows you to adjust the right axle, which pushes the left axle into it's bearing.
When you get your gear assembly back, look through the splined ends where the axle go, if you can see through to the other side, through a hole about 3/8" then yo are missing the pins. 

ASK THE GUY SETTING UP YOUR PIG.  If he doesn't know about this then he is a Chevy guy.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2008 - 01:28:57 AM »
there are 2 different types , the cone style uses a 1 piece floating pin or block that both axles press against allow the end play to be set , the clutch uses a 3 piece floater with to T shaped buttons & a rivet pin to hold the 2 together
 the end play is .008-.018

Offline RDF

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2008 - 07:25:51 AM »
there are 2 different types , the cone style uses a 1 piece floating pin or block that both axles press against allow the end play to be set , the clutch uses a 3 piece floater with to T shaped buttons & a rivet pin to hold the 2 together
 the end play is .008-.018

Ok, that clears one part up for me....I asked the guy who I bought it from if it was clutch or cone and he said clutch.  Now how would I go about checking end play and making sure it's within range?  :clueless:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build: