Author Topic: Removing a 3rd Member  (Read 18197 times)

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
Removing a 3rd Member
« on: February 21, 2008 - 04:35:01 PM »
I'll be attempting to remove my 3rd member from my 73 Cuda (8 3/4 rear end) Friday night.  I've never done it before, but I think all I should have to do is:

1.) Remove the driveshaft
2.) Remove the wheels
3.) Pull rear axles out part way.
4.) Unbolt case from axle housing.

My biggest question is, how do the rear axles come out?  Is there a bolt or c-clip that holds them in?  If I remember correctly, I think there is just a c-clip holding them in place, right?  :clueless:

Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
Re: Removing a 3rd Member
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2008 - 04:41:46 PM »
There are 5 nuts behind the axle flange which can be accessed with a socket extension through the hole in the axle flange itself  (between the lugs).  You will have to turn the axle after removing each one to get at the next.  once those nuts are off just pull on the axle and slide it out about a foot.  No need to remove it completely.  You might want to have a jack under the center section when you slide it off the studs as it can get heavy quick.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2008 - 04:58:29 PM by FJ5_440 »
** Shane **

sleepychallenger

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2008 - 04:48:24 PM »
might want to add drain fluid to your list before unbolt case from axle housing  :working:  :roflsmiley: your prefrence though

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2008 - 04:51:46 PM »
Also I think it is five bolts on the axle flanges not four. It is really a straight forward simple procedure. I've done complete 3rd member swaps in about a half hour, from parking the car to back on the road.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2008 - 05:01:22 PM »
Also I think it is five bolts on the axle flanges not four. It is really a straight forward simple procedure. I've done complete 3rd member swaps in about a half hour, from parking the car to back on the road.

Thanks, I don't know what I was thinking with 4?
The ease of this swap is one of the best things about the 8 3/4.  I can keep a 2.76, a 3.23, and a 3.91 set up and ready to go and swap them in depending on how long the road trip will be.
** Shane **

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2008 - 05:13:04 PM »
Exactly. I have about a half dozen center sections for various applications.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline matt63

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2008 - 05:41:53 PM »
You could spend a half hour cleaning the gasket off if it hasn't been change before.   :icon16:
Chasing the threads on the studs isn't a bad idea either.  The center section is very heavy so a floor jack under it is a good idea unless you are very strong.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline RDF

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2008 - 05:43:17 PM »
Damn.....I wish I had that many setups floating around my garage.....in due time I suppose.

Thanks for the tips....It didn't seem like a hard (or long) job to do, I just wanted everyone's input and advise before moving forward.

Thanks again! :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:21:34 PM »
Use that floor transmission jack that you have robert. Will make life easier going in and out with the 3rd member.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline RDF

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:36:11 PM »
Use that floor transmission jack that you have robert. Will make life easier going in and out with the 3rd member.

Yeah I was thinking about that...I just have to be sure I jack up the car enough to get it out!  That's the only problem I had with the trani....the trani jack sits high, so it makes it tough....
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:37:50 PM »
Do you still have those little jack stands? Check harbor freight's ad, you can pickup some 6ton (aka tall) jackstands for like $25. You'll wonder why you ever used little jack stands lol.
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2008 - 06:38:06 PM »
In real life and being your first time, it will take a couple of hours to 3 hrs to do it right. Cleaning gaskets, hooking all back up, installing gear oil. Be sure you dont over tighten your u joint bolts and break them off.  There is no oil drain plug , so you may want to wiggle the 3rd member loose and let it drain before you pull it out. by hand or jack. It's around 70 lbs. The end play axle bearing adjuster will be on one of the 5 nuts you take off the bearing axle retainer. If a sure grip, be sure to install the propper lube for it. Now will be a very good time to inspect, clean and adjust your rear brakes and check wheel cylinders.

Offline RDF

« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:08:25 PM »
In real life and being your first time, it will take a couple of hours to 3 hrs to do it right. Cleaning gaskets, hooking all back up, installing gear oil. Be sure you dont over tighten your u joint bolts and break them off.  There is no oil drain plug , so you may want to wiggle the 3rd member loose and let it drain before you pull it out. by hand or jack. It's around 70 lbs. The end play axle bearing adjuster will be on one of the 5 nuts you take off the bearing axle retainer. If a sure grip, be sure to install the propper lube for it. Now will be a very good time to inspect, clean and adjust your rear brakes and check wheel cylinders.

I'm taking it out and having the Open carrier replaces with a suregrip.  Any suggestions on gear oil and/or lube?  How much?
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2008 - 07:12:41 PM »
Dont forget limited slip additive so your clutches slip
1976 Dodge Warlock

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2008 - 09:43:46 PM »
For what it's worth, every time I've done this it's been with axles that have been in place for decades, and I've needed a slide hammer to free them.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars