Author Topic: Removing a 3rd Member  (Read 18220 times)

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
Re: Removing a 3rd Member
« Reply #30 on: February 24, 2008 - 08:31:56 AM »
Good thread, I am installing the Drdiff rear disc brake kit. Before I pulled the axles, I put a dial indicator on the face of the DS hub and got ~.045. FYI, from the 72 manual it says:

Turn the adjuster clockwise until both bearings are seated and there is zero endplay in the axleshafts. Back off the adjuster approximately four notches to establish an axleshaft endplay of .008-.018".....

I pulled the axles to install the kit, (slipped out, no resistance) but the bearings look a bit dry. Ok to grease them with regular wheel bearing grease before re-assembling?
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008 - 12:35:06 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
07' Toyota Tacoma Prerunner Dbl cab in Speedway Blue!
01' Honda 1100 Shadow Sabre
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #31 on: February 24, 2008 - 11:43:07 AM »
I asked the guy who I bought it from if it was clutch or cone and he said clutch. 

Did you ask him where the "T" type pins are that are supposed to come with your sure grip are?
Look through the axle end of your pumpkin. If you can see all the way through to the other side, then you are missing the pins.

(how did I know that yours are missing?)

I pulled the axles to install the kit, (slipped out, no resistance) but the bearings look a bit dry. Ok to grease them with regular wheel bearing grease before re-assembling?

Mike,  wash out all of the old grease and then use "FORD SPEC" wheel bearing grease that contains MOLY. Do not just add grease to the grease already in there. The 2 different chemical make-ups could fight like cats and dogs. Do not trust the guy that says "grease is grease".  Look for my other thread on changing then greasing those bearings.  Mine didn't need to be changed after 38 years but that was the only way to change the outer axle seals.

Rob

P.S. Edit.. The block style doesn't fall out. The pin style sometimes fall into the housing while pulling the axles out. That's why if you have the clutch style Sure-grip, you should pull the axle all the way out and see if it is still in place with a flashlight.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2008 - 11:49:35 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #32 on: February 24, 2008 - 01:51:06 PM »
Did you ask him where the "T" type pins are that are supposed to come with your sure grip are?
Look through the axle end of your pumpkin. If you can see all the way through to the other side, then you are missing the pins.

(how did I know that yours are missing?)

Shelbydigg,

I won't know until I get the pumpkin back from the guy either tomorrow or Tuesday.  I will keep you posted as to what kind is in there.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #33 on: February 24, 2008 - 07:59:26 PM »
A guy in the Show-Me Mopars club, Chris Schnieder, used to make the pins out of tool steel. The last ones I bought from him were at his swap space at the Mopar Nationals years ago. I think they were $15 for a pair. Before I found those for sale, I had to make a single rod out of a bolt, that went straight through the hole. It was long enough to touch both axles and let me adjust the preload.  That will give you a choice of what to do if yours are missing. Look up Chris, or use a bolt shaft. There is a 3rd option, green bearings, DON"T DO IT.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #34 on: February 24, 2008 - 08:02:59 PM »
Hey Rob - thanks. I hunted down your thread on axle bearing R&R. Good stuff.

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=35471.0

Two questions, where did you get your parts? I need to change my outer seals. May as well do bearings, gaskets and the whole shootin' match. Also, I guess it would have been too messy to pack the bearing first before pressing it on?  

72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: February 24, 2008 - 08:16:32 PM »
The seals and bearings are available at any good auto parts store. O-reilly, Napa, etc.  I also found the grease needles at AutoZone.  The stamped steel gasket and foam gasket may still be available at the dealer but I found mine at a swap space at the Mopar Nationals. It was easier to grease them right before installing the axles.
Rob

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2008 - 01:40:17 AM »
Fel Pro has the steel & foam gaskets

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2008 - 08:31:22 AM »
well, thats good to know. However, before I knew I didn't need it I went to a Chrysler dealer and Orelllys asking for large round differential gasket. Neither carried, suggested I check aftermarket. I wasn't surprised about Oreilly but thought for sure the dealer carried that.    :dunno:

Anyhow, I'll call around today and see if I can find them or order them. DrDiff has them all. 
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2008 - 08:52:32 AM »
The reason that most auto parts stores don't carry that diff (pumpkin) gasket anymore is because Chrysler themselves stopped using them.  They recommend a small bead of RTV all the way around, going close to the inside edge between the bolts and the hole.   Clean both surfaces very well with brake-cleaner and dry it before laying your bead.
Rob

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2008 - 08:57:48 AM »
hopefully, I wont have to go there. What I need to do now is find the axle parts and see if I can find a shop with apress to install them. Its holding up the disc installation. 
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 - 11:28:41 AM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2008 - 11:19:06 AM »
one other question, does the collar come with the bearing set?
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2008 - 11:27:54 AM »
Yes
Rob

Offline miketyler

• Resident
    • www.miketyler.net
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2008 - 12:58:50 PM »
Cool - I found the bearing sets and in and out seals but no gaskets. Called Napa and their descriptions don't differentiate on which is foam and which is metal and even so, they are 5 business days away.

CP, do you have the FP numbers on those gaskets? Really only need the metal one, I can make the foam ones out of paper gasket material.

EDIT:   Skip that, I ordered FPG 55032 today. No material description for it, hopefully it's not the foam back plate gasket.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2008 - 09:10:36 PM by miketyler »
72' Cuda restomod
70 Mustang Mach 1
96' Seadoo Challenger

Offline RDF

« Reply #43 on: February 28, 2008 - 08:54:52 PM »
Ok I got my 3rd member back and all looks good....I asked about the pins and he showed me them in the carrier.....they look like pins that go in on each side, but I can still see straight through to the other side.....will this be a problem?  I remember Shelbydogg stating something about the pins needing to be in the carrier and I shouldn't be able to see through it??  :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline RDF

« Reply #44 on: February 28, 2008 - 09:11:03 PM »
Here's a few pics of what it looks like.  Don't be fooled by the black in the hole, you can see straight through to the other side.
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build: