Adding Front Window Molding Rivets

Author Topic: Adding Front Window Molding Rivets  (Read 835 times)

Offline NorthWestcuda

Adding Front Window Molding Rivets
« on: February 22, 2008 - 01:07:34 AM »
I'm working on my 73 cuda. If I remember correctly there are 3 moulding rivets on each post before the front window turns in and goes a cross the roof.  Is that correct?

Assuming there are three rivets on each post (I only have the bottom one), how do I add #2 & #3 rivet on each post with the window in and the vinyl on the post and roof?  I don’t really want to take the window out yet.  I tried small #4 by 3/8 & #6 by 3/8 screws but the rivet holes seem to be larger than that. What should I do?  I'm sure I'll need these revel clips rivets to hold the moulding down tight.

I'm also noticing that the front window moulding will not fit tight against the car because the vinyl seams that turn into the window channels keep the moulding from fitting tightly agaisnt the car.  The vinyl roof seams create about a 1/8 inch gap at times between the moulding and the car.  I don't know what to do about this.  Do I trim the vinyl seems down (this doesn’t seem right)?  Or do I slightly bend in the side of the moulding to compensate for the vinyl seam??  I know this is as clear as mud.  If you want me to post some pics to help explain let me know.

Thanks in advance for your help
1973 Cuda, 440 engine
1972 Chevy 4x4 PU stepside
2003 Ford F-350 Diesel

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
Re: Adding Front Window Molding Rivets
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2008 - 09:29:59 AM »
someone has been there, there are no rivets from factory, but welded pins/studs, and you will have to cut the glass out to do it right 
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline dougs bs23

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2008 - 09:40:08 AM »
someone has been there, there are no rivets from factory, but welded pins/studs, and you will have to cut the glass out to do it right 

:iagree:
You'll have to plug those holes and have new pins welded in, or possibly you could try Stainless steel clip screws. They are available from different sources, possibly you could  try R/T specialties
http://www.rtspecialties.net/
see Bill run  go Navy football///fly navy

Offline elitecustombody

• Supra collector
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2008 - 10:06:29 AM »
yeah, I forgot to add, you do not want to use the existing holes, unless you know for sure the metal is solid enough in that area ,or you will end up with a huge screw,before installing new screws,dab some thread-lock,etching primer or something simillar,install screw while it's still wet

Stefan
Stefan B

Elite Custom Body = AMD Sheetmetal & Glass at great prices !!

Don't do what's easy, do what's right!!

Offline Chlngrcrzy

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2008 - 10:10:50 AM »
 :eek7: I need to weld in the window trim posts before paint, etc.? I thought there were replacements that screwed in, and could be added later? :clueless:I suppose that also goes for Challengers? Does anyone have measurements for spacing for the front and back? Looks like i am going to have to do this also before i get ready for paint. Sure glad i saw this post before.

Offline NorthWestcuda

« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2008 - 02:46:31 PM »
I'll try some new holes (drilled at an angle due to the window still in it) and see if I can put some small screws in to attach the clips to. 

What are guys doing about the vinyl top and the seams that folding into the window channel.  The moulding doesn't fit really tight becuase of this.  Help
1973 Cuda, 440 engine
1972 Chevy 4x4 PU stepside
2003 Ford F-350 Diesel

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2008 - 03:59:05 PM »
theres a sweet tool out there (pin welder?) a gun that you weld these studs on with, it takes about 20 seconds per stud, i used one on my driver fender to assist in my slide hammer skills. Im almost certain it can be used for theses studs as well, but definitely do it without the paint, vinyl top, or windshield in.  :working:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100