Rubber fuel line

Author Topic: Rubber fuel line  (Read 5156 times)

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Rubber fuel line
« Reply #15 on: February 29, 2008 - 07:48:03 PM »
71bigblock,
If you don't like bending steel tubing, how about getting a roll of 5/16 or 3/8 aluminum tubing? You can bend that a lot easier than steel tubing and it's also a lot safer than running rubber hose from the tank to the carb. I've used aluminum tubing on a few cars and it's worked real well for me. Just a thought.

agree. alum from the tank here
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2008 - 06:08:00 PM »
Mopar says 58 psi on the hemi so keepthat in mind. Also what about the return line?

Areomotive.com says you should put the regulator up by the motor not by the tank. The factory gets away with one line by upping the pressure of the pump under high loads and lowering it at speed.  :2cents:

Keep us posted please... :cooldancing:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2008 - 10:55:42 PM »
I have fuel injected setups now all using 3/8 brake line. get the lengths needed and you can extend them with brass fittings and some fuel injection fuel filters screw right on to the ends. All available at the the local auto parts store. If you need any other fittings look in the HELP section for "fuel line repair" parts.  I only used aluminum line in my race car. It is fragile compared to steel. Steel brake line is easy to bend without kinking it. I only used smallest amount or rubber hose possible.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2008 - 11:02:33 PM »
shelbydogg, your PM box is full, so I copied it, and will post it here.  You can PM me back if you want, or see this.   :lol:

Shelbydogg-

After looking at a lot of options, I think I will go with the steel line. 

I remember you saying a long time ago that you used a fuel pump from an econoline.  Just wondering what year, and about how much it cost.  I can buy an MSD pump that is going to run about $100.  Also, is it an external pump, in line or in tank? 

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #19 on: March 06, 2008 - 08:14:17 AM »
Whats best intank or inline out of the tank pump?
 I know for cooling in the tank is best, I just dont like the wires in the gas?
 :feedback:
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2008 - 08:38:16 AM »
Here you go.  Some stuff pasted from the Megasquirt website. The ones I got from the junk yard as spares are under the chasiss, right below the drivers area.

Fuel Pumps:

You will need a high pressure pump with enough volume at your operating pressure to feed you engine under maximum load. Typical pressures needed in the neighborhood of ~45 psi for port fuel injection, ~10-20 psi for TBI injection. A port injection pump will work with TBI, but not vice-versa.

OEMs usually place pump inside the fuel tank. In an EFI retrofit it is generally easier to use an external fuel pump. Ford used external fuel pumps on 1989 era 150 trucks which may be a candidate for use. These are high pressure [port EFI] pumps that will work in most applications. Econoline vans have these as well.

The external pumps used in Ford F150 fuel injected trucks from the 89-93 model years are Delco EP286. At 12 volts, the operating pressure is 70-95 PSI with 36-40 gals per hour. The biggest Delco pump is the EP424, which is 75-90 PSI at 40 gals per hour. EP 268 is a GM# 25117086, EP 424 is a GM# 25176156."

Here is a picture of the Econoline pump below:

The Carter pump #P70199 (the outlet is 7/16 standard pipe thread and the inlet is 15/32 clamped hose type fitting or 3/4 standard thread. The specs are 95-PSI max, 68-93 G/Hr wide open). This is the highest flowing Carter external fuel pump in the book. It will produce up to 95 psi, and crosses over to EP7107 at Kragen for about $80 (unfortunately one end does not come off like the Carter). You might want the Ford style pump EP7109($80). You will need this if you want to be able to modify ends to be 3/8".

Others have had luck using the external pump from various fuel injected VolksWagen models (87 VW Fox, for example). Part number is: Bosch 0 580 254 957 reportedly rated at 90 GPH@ 70PSI, you might find them for about $130 new from www.germanautoparts.com. This pump consists of a fuel pump, filter, and an "accumulator". You can leave the accumulator in place since it does not affect the running volume or pressure, and on used pumps they are often rusted so you might not want to mess with it.

Auto Performance Engineering has many high volume Walbro pumps (and their specifications) on their site.

Fuel Line:

Steel tubing is recommended, but you MUST have short sections of rubber line in the feed and return lines between the engine and frame to allow for engine movement. The return line should have minimal restriction. For reference, GM systems typically have 3/8" feed lines and 5/16" return lines.

You may be able to use your original fuel line as a return line, plumbing a new 3/8" (10mm) line for fuel supply. You can run the return line into the tank, or reroute it to a fitting or nipple you install in the fuel tank filler neck/tube assembly (in which case you may be able to use the original pick-up for your supply line). If you run a new pick-up into the tank, it will need a filter. GM sells a sock-type filter that is a good fit for 3/8" lines. It is part number 5651702 and costs about $15.

See the rest here: Click on the "Injectors and fuel Supply" section on the left.
http://megasquirt.info/
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2008 - 02:25:39 PM »
Whats best intank or inline out of the tank pump?
 I know for cooling in the tank is best, I just dont like the wires in the gas?
 :feedback:

Most cars now have their pumps in the tank so wires in the gas is now safe. If you run a return line, the pump stays cool by running the fuel through it.   Mine is mounted externally so If I have to change it, it is right next to the frame rail after taking off my right rear tire. It is a little noisy, but I know it will save me time if I don't have to drop my tank on the side of the highway.

Sweet, thanks.  I found it to be pretty affordable on ebay:
And most people doing the 3rd gen swaps use this filter/regulator:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ACDelco-GF822-Fuel-Filter-03-03-CHEVROLET-All-Models_W0QQitemZ110227419905QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item110227419905&_trksid=p3286.m20.l1116

That's a good price on the pump.  Pricey for the filter though.  I go to AutoZone and look through all of the Fram fuel filter boxes till I find the one that I need. I don't think any are over $10.
Rob

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2008 - 05:50:45 PM »
Most cars now have their pumps in the tank so wires in the gas is now safe. If you run a return line, the pump stays cool by running the fuel through it.   Mine is mounted externally so If I have to change it, it is right next to the frame rail after taking off my right rear tire. It is a little noisy, but I know it will save me time if I don't have to drop my tank on the side of the highway.

Thank You...
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2008 - 06:59:24 PM »
Shelbydogg-

That is a filter AND a regulator.  I wouldnt buy a plain in-line filter for that much.   :2thumbs:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2008 - 07:54:28 PM »
Shelbydogg-

That is a filter AND a regulator.  I wouldnt buy a plain in-line filter for that much.   :2thumbs:

A regulator will cost you more than that price.  If that is a regulator, where is the vacuum port that hooks to the engine?  Having a regulator that is vacuum regulated lets you get more from your injectors by increasing the pressure when needed.   Are you sure that that is a regulator?
Rob

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2008 - 08:24:16 PM »
A regulator will cost you more than that price.  If that is a regulator, where is the vacuum port that hooks to the engine?  Having a regulator that is vacuum regulated lets you get more from your injectors by increasing the pressure when needed.   Are you sure that that is a regulator?

Its a regulator about $30.00 from Napa
The return is on the edge and the exit is on the back side that you cant see I have looked at this setup as well trying to get the best system for my efi.
I just dont know yet what I will use. I have seen some vacume boosters but I am not sure about that style eather.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2008 - 08:27:13 PM by thedodgeboys »
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2008 - 09:36:38 PM »

Its a regulator about $30.00 from Napa
The return is on the edge and the exit is on the back side that you cant see I have looked at this setup as well trying to get the best system for my efi.
I just dont know yet what I will use. I have seen some vacume boosters but I am not sure about that style eather.

They're right, the dodgeboys.   :grinyes:

Down at Street and Performance all of their builds use that setup, along with Tony Squier.  Its really simple.  I have called and talked to them about it, along with Tony.  I have the DVD that Street and Performance made, and they talk about it 2 or three times on there. 

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2008 - 09:58:39 PM »
It's still not a vacuum regulated style.   If you look at the factory style regulators on most of the EFI cars in the junk yards, you'll notice that everyone of them has a vacuum regulated diaphram.

I won't run one. My :2cents:
Rob

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #29 on: March 07, 2008 - 04:10:36 AM »
 :popcorn:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar