Dash Power

Author Topic: Dash Power  (Read 3567 times)

Offline PLUM 70

Dash Power
« on: February 26, 2008 - 07:41:28 AM »
Should the 12 volts going to the voltage limiter be static, or should it be through accessory?

My clock has the new style board so it requires static power, can I jump my 12v from the ammeter guage?
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite
:Need a AAR CUDA just a few more pennies

Offline 71 DEPUTY

• IF YOU CAN'T DODGE IT--RAM IT!
    • Cardomain
Re: Dash Power
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2008 - 08:21:51 AM »
yep- get power from the alt stud like the factory did.

John Mac

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2008 - 09:11:14 AM »
All this wiring has made me stupid, can you please Elaborate :clueless:. As to where the power is going from the Alt.  Are you saying that all accessory power is driven from the alt.

Thanks for helping.

yep- get power from the alt stud like the factory did.

John Mac
« Last Edit: February 26, 2008 - 09:14:07 AM by PLUM 70 »
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2008 - 09:33:30 AM »
you can take power from the ammeter stud on the rear of the dash , it is not switched

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2008 - 10:23:34 AM »
The ammeter is live, it always has power.  I still don't understand if I should have 12v sitting static to my tach and voltage limiter? I would have thought ( scarry :thinkerg: ) that I wouldn't have power until the key is turned forward.  I just don't know if previous owner may have turned things around.
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2008 - 11:59:55 AM »
The ammeter is live, it always has power.  I still don't understand if I should have 12v sitting static to my tach and voltage limiter? I would have thought ( scarry :thinkerg: ) that I wouldn't have power until the key is turned forward.  I just don't know if previous owner may have turned things around.

You are correct. The voltage limiter and tach only get power when the key is turned on. The clock and amp gauge always have power.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2008 - 12:07:19 PM »
I don't have my wiring schematics handy, but I believe the "input post" of the ammeter has a number of wires leading to it - it's a junction point in the harness.

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2008 - 12:22:20 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I just need to locate a accessory spot and tap into that. What gets me is the proper black wire with the proper connector is just sitting with power without the key turned.  The guys at work are jumping up and down waiting for me to smoke something.  I am just being cautious.
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2008 - 01:39:49 PM »
I,m back and I would like to admit to being dumb :stomp:. Since basically everything in the dash is grounded it's no wonder that I have 12 volt all over the place since I was going back to the battery looking for power. Where should I be looking to get the hotwire 12v from when the key is turned on? It is much easier to admit to being wrong on the internet, I love this sight:banghead: Can I even achieve this without the ammeter and the rest of the cluster being hooked up? :clueless:
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2008 - 02:01:31 PM »
I suggest dowladign you wirign schematic form this site.  Should answer all you questions.

http://www.mymopar.com/66to71_wiring.htm

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2008 - 02:19:43 PM »
I have the schematics, that's what makes this worse. My hands have not been the first ones through this wiring. I,m abou to rip every wire out of the car and start over :stomp:
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2008 - 05:21:04 PM »
Thanks for the input guys. I guess I just need to locate a accessory spot and tap into that. What gets me is the proper black wire with the proper connector is just sitting with power without the key turned.  The guys at work are jumping up and down waiting for me to smoke something.  I am just being cautious.

What "proper black wire" are you talking about? The thick one on the amp gauge? That would be correct if so. It should have power.  I REALLY need to see your car as I've had my gauges out numerous times.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline PLUM 70

« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2008 - 07:28:40 AM »
First: I’m fortunate to keep my car at my work. It’s great until something on the car bothers you, then it eats at you like acid every time you walk through the door in the morning. It is a love hate problem.

Second: I don’t have internet @ home, but work has a full TI line it’s very fast. So when I do have a problem that I need help with ( Thanks to everyone @ cc.com ) the problem can only be addressed at work.

Ok thanks for listening to my rants, yes it did help. Ok I walked away from the car last night and thought about what I needed the car to do. This morning I  started by looking for continuity. It took all of  30 seconds to figure out that the wire I thought had ( Static) power did not.  I took a lead to the negative and then started probing around and I found nothing ( good ) then I turned the key on and praise all fricking wiring gods my wiring is exactly how it should be. 

Funny: I hooked up everything and installed the cluster and swith assembly, then I found out that everything didn't included the gastank sending unit signal :banghead:. So I had to uninstall everything again and hook-up one lousy little wire. ITS ALL GOOD NOW THANKS AGAIN FOR ALL YOUR HELP!
* THE MOTOR CITY *
Plum 1970 challenger R/T
Clydesdales
Drift Boat
Super EZ Homelite