Author Topic: Bad news & good news - engineering drawings on my site  (Read 1417 times)

Alaskan_TA

Bad news & good news - engineering drawings on my site
« on: February 26, 2008 - 11:47:02 PM »
On the 28th of this month, the engineering drawings at this link will be going away;

http://www.hamtramck-historical.com/photos-engineeringDrawingsMenu.shtml

One of the Chrysler LLC employees that works in Chrysler Brand Protection has notified me that these drawings are copyrighted and owned by Chrysler LLC. He has asked me to remove them from my site before the 29th of this month, and I have told him that I will comply.

Several people have worked very hard to scan these and make them available for all to see, I was quite happy to provide a venue for that. I mentioned to him that I would hate to see these "go away" forever, so I offered to send him all the scans I have of them if they could be hosted on the Chrysler Heritage website.

His response;

"Thank you for the offer to provide us copies of the prints although it will not be necessary."

This is where the good new comes in! This is another direct quote from him;

"To give you more insight, the reason for my request is that the Chrysler Heritage website is preparing to display these on their site (I don't have timing)."

I of course have asked for more details. I am sincerely hoping that they have other drawings that we did not have on the HH site. Time will tell of course, but I sure hope so!

I have asked him to keep me in the loop and let me know when the engineering drawings on their site go live. I will post an update when one is available.

Barry Washington

Offline 70_challenger

• Suburban Detroit, Michigan
Re: Bad news & good news - engineering drawings on my site
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 - 12:54:01 AM »
Well, that IS both bad and good.  I certainly appreciate your effort to cooperate with Chrysler, and to ensure that the information remains available.  I have had many difficult discussions with people who don't understand the importance of protecting those copyrights, trademarks, and IP.  Your cooperative attitude to find a 'win-win' solution speaks well for the hobby.   :clapping:

I hope that they now do their part, and follow through on the plan to make these drawings readily available.  We will be looking forward to seeing these drawings on their site, along with (hopefully) some others.

-Tom

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 - 01:11:03 AM »
I'm going to be on a very short timeline to get my car running, I can't afford to wait while Chrysler putzes around before making these available.  I get two months while working a full-time job, going to school part-time and being a father and husband.  :22yikes:  (Look for a restoration thread soon.)  So I'm downloading like crazy tonight.  I love my high-speed connection.

And if any of you trademark lawyers see this - I'm only using them to put my car back together.  I promise! :angelwings:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2008 - 01:14:43 AM by Greg's HO R/T »
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 - 09:28:43 AM »
Thanks Barry,are those the only docs in danger of being deleted?
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008 - 11:48:47 AM »
Thanks for all your efforts, Barry.  I'm glad a lot of those files were on PDF form!
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Pistol Gripper

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 - 12:57:00 PM »
Barry,

Thanks for the head's up.

P.G.
O ne
B ig
A $$
M istake
A merica

Offline kissalien

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2008 - 03:53:47 PM »
Protecting copyrights on 40 year old engineering documents seems a little ridiculous to me.

Hey Barry, ask him for some more info on the Aquarius in exchange for your compliance. :)

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2008 - 05:57:48 PM »
I don't see what they would hurt to have them on both web sites. Those have a ton of info for the people putting a car togather.  :clueless:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2008 - 08:56:45 PM »
Hey guys,
He complimented us on the HH site and mentioned that we had been very thorough. He only asked that the engineering drawings be taken down. So, I am assuming everything else is safe, it sounds like he spent a lot of time browsing.

Barry

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2008 - 09:10:22 PM »
I still don't understand why theu would care if they are on 2 sites :clueless:
Seems stupind and petty to me,but....Americans dont own Chrysler anymore :violin: :poopoke:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2008 - 09:11:12 PM »
LOL sticky keyboard from all the coffee spilt on it,lol
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline Cuda Cody

• Resident
  • Vancouver, WA
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2008 - 11:53:42 PM »
Thank you Barry for all the hard work you do keeping the site up and the information accurate.   :clapping:
The funniest thing about this particular signature is that by the time you realize it doesn't say anything it's to late to stop reading it.

Offline 70_challenger

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008 - 12:17:23 AM »
I still don't understand why theu would care if they are on 2 sites :clueless:
It's not that they care if it is on 2 sites.  Chrysler is protecting their copyrighted information.  No matter it's age, the information was copyrighted by Chrysler, and they have to act to protect it, or risk losing their own rights to it.  Same goes for trademarks.  I'm no lawyer, but here are two quick examples:
1) When AM General launched the Hummer (the consumer version), they copied the Jeep 7-bar grille.  (Remember how people confused them for a big Jeep, before they knew what Hummers were?).  Well, Chrysler did not pay much attention, because it was low volume, and not competing with Jeep.  Then, when GM launched the Hummer H2, which competed more with Jeep, then Daimler decided to sue for infringement on the trademarked Jeep grille design.  They lost the case, because they had not acted to protect their rights for the Jeep grille when it was first copied.

2)  Another US auto company did not protect the rights to the names of some of their cars, and ended up losing them.  Since they let others use their names, they lost the rights, and had to rename some cars just before launch.  Did you know that the Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV is called 'Challenger' outside the US?  Chrysler DID act to protect their rights to the name...and it's good they did.  Otherwise, they would not be able to call this new car 'Challenger'!

So I don't think Chrysler has anything against the great work that Barry has done for this hobby.  But, if they KNOW about his posting of copyrighted work, and they don't ask him to remove it, then they can't legally go after someone else who might be posting more current copyrighted information.  It's a legal precedent issue.

Seems stupind and petty to me,but....Americans dont own Chrysler anymore :violin: :poopoke:

This is either a joke I don't get, or you've not seen the news recently.

-Tom

Offline 70_challenger

« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008 - 12:20:43 AM »
Sorry, I accidentally double posted, and I can't remove this post. 
Ah well, how about another round of applause for Barry?   :clapping:
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 - 12:25:47 AM by 70_challenger »

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008 - 12:34:52 AM »
It's not that they care if it is on 2 sites.  Chrysler is protecting their copyrighted information.  No matter it's age, the information was copyrighted by Chrysler, and they have to act to protect it, or risk losing their own rights to it.  Same goes for trademarks.  I'm no lawyer, but here are two quick examples:
1) When AM General launched the Hummer (the consumer version), they copied the Jeep 7-bar grille.  (Remember how people confused them for a big Jeep, before they knew what Hummers were?).  Well, Chrysler did not pay much attention, because it was low volume, and not competing with Jeep.  Then, when GM launched the Hummer H2, which competed more with Jeep, then Daimler decided to sue for infringement on the trademarked Jeep grille design.  They lost the case, because they had not acted to protect their rights for the Jeep grille when it was first copied.

2)  Another US auto company did not protect the rights to the names of some of their cars, and ended up losing them.  Since they let others use their names, they lost the rights, and had to rename some cars just before launch.  Did you know that the Mitsubishi Endeavor SUV is called 'Challenger' outside the US?  Chrysler DID act to protect their rights to the name...and it's good they did.  Otherwise, they would not be able to call this new car 'Challenger'!

So I don't think Chrysler has anything against the great work that Barry has done for this hobby.  But, if they KNOW about his posting of copyrighted work, and they don't ask him to remove it, then they can't legally go after someone else who might be posting more current copyrighted information.  It's a legal precedent issue.

This is either a joke I don't get, or you've not seen the news recently.

-Tom
I dont watch the news...ever......too depressing with all the child molesters,murderers,thieves ect
What happened?Was it sold again?
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3