Author Topic: 30 Amp Fuse  (Read 1621 times)

Offline troutstreamnm

30 Amp Fuse
« on: February 27, 2008 - 12:02:13 AM »
I started to install a new main harness in my 71 Challenger and noticed the old harness had no 30 amp master fuse for the system  :scared:  My fuse box has a slot with contacts in the upper right corner (see pic of old box).  Is this where the 30 amp fuse goes (all four slots) or does this hold the 30amp and a remote 15 amp fuse.  The slots on the upper left are blanks.  Can I get the fuses at NAPA?  Thanks.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline FY1Cuda

Re: 30 Amp Fuse
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2008 - 12:37:04 AM »
That spot holds the horn relay. The circuit was protected with a "fusible link" which on your old harness was along the thick red wire going from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector and was wrapped in tape.  It was designed to melt like a fuse when the current got too high.  If your new harness doesn't have that, you can put an in-line fuse in that wire (and NAPA would have that).

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2008 - 04:33:06 AM »
That spot holds the horn relay. The circuit was protected with a "fusible link" which on your old harness was along the thick red wire going from the starter relay to the bulkhead connector and was wrapped in tape.  It was designed to melt like a fuse when the current got too high.  If your new harness doesn't have that, you can put an in-line fuse in that wire (and NAPA would have that).

I agree, but that fuseable link was actually part of the front light harness.

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline troutstreamnm

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2008 - 08:56:30 AM »
I bought an M&H exact match replacement harness so if it came from the factory with a fusable link, it should be there.  The service manual shows a 30 amp fuse plugged into the fuse box at the top which is why I thought that was the main fuse.  It also shows a horn relay to the left (where my fuse box has blanks).  This is the source of my confusion.  Thanks for the input.
08 SRT-8 Challenger
71 GA4 Challenger
70 FK5 Charger 500

Offline PlumCrazy

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2008 - 12:43:25 PM »
I started to install a new main harness in my 71 Challenger and noticed the old harness had no 30 amp master fuse for the system  :scared:  My fuse box has a slot with contacts in the upper right corner (see pic of old box).  Is this where the 30 amp fuse goes (all four slots) or does this hold the 30amp and a remote 15 amp fuse.  The slots on the upper left are blanks.  Can I get the fuses at NAPA?  Thanks.
The horn relay goes in the four slots, a circuit breaker goes in the two slots to the left for power windows/convertible top.

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2008 - 07:11:24 PM »
no such thing as a 30 amp master fuse.
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t