Author Topic: My employer made my life "easier" - he laid me off!!  (Read 8820 times)

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
My employer made my life "easier" - he laid me off!!
« on: February 28, 2008 - 11:26:33 AM »
Heh, ya know, this is just funny.  It's kinda one of those, "Irony is a real B!TCH!!" situations...

In the "My apologies" thread, I've been talking about how bored I am at work - how I'm not getting any appointments, not making any good money, and generally just sitting around, post whoring on the 'Cuda board!

What I kept mentioning in that thread was that I didn't LIKE being bored - that I'd rather be busy, rather have people coming in and rather be making money!

So Monday, after our weekly after-work advisors meeting, I asked my manager if I could have a few minutes to chat with him.  We met up in his office, and I explained to him that I was simply coming for help.  I explained basically the same stuff - that I'm not getting any good appointments, that I'm making drastically less sales and thus money than the other guys, and that I didn't know if it was because of my unique schedule.  We had (what I thought was) a great chat, and he thanked me for coming to him, and said that he would see what he could do to change the schedule to give me a more fair opportunity at the business we had coming in.

So Tuesday - which I had already told him I had NO appointments coming in - I sat around all day, grabbing the phone whenever it rang, writing up customers for the other advisors just to help out (the other advisor still gets the ticket - I just print the actual invoice to get it out for a tech to pull) and pretty much just made myself available, ya know?  At minutes to 4, my manager comes out and asks to see me.  So I casually walk to his office, having no fear, right?  I mean we just had a great talk the other day - I felt great about things at that moment.  We sit in his office and he closes the door.  Hmm, another closed door meeting?  Was that necessary?  He starts off explaining that he was thinking about our talk the prior evening.  Oh, okay, I think, this should be a good meeting then!  Then he explains that he feels there just isn't enough work coming in for four advisors, and he's decided to run with a three-advisor set up.  Hmm, let's see, one guy has been there 6 years, the other guy has been in the building since its previous owner, and the other guy just transferred from our sister dealership (Cadillac) when it closed.  So I'm still the lowest guy on the totem poll...

So I got laid off.  I asked for help, I made it clear to him that I wanted to work harder, to be more prosperous for myself and for the company, that I WANTED MORE WORK.... ...and he laid me off...

I got the hell out of there - gathered up my few things and split.  I knew if I stayed for a minute too long I was going to go absolutely postal and probably wind up in jail for the evening.  Got out just in time - as I was pulling out of the parking lot, I swear I started to see red...  (Been reading too many thriller/action/serial killer novels...)

So that's the news!  I won't be on that much now I guess - gotta find a new job like, right away.  Wish me luck, and I'll keep you guys posted.

Jeff
« Last Edit: February 28, 2008 - 11:32:21 AM by 73Barracuda »
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
Re: My employer made my life "easier" - he laid me off!!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008 - 11:35:24 AM »
Wow Jeff, sorry to hear about this.   :sadwavey:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008 - 11:39:10 AM »
Well, that sucks!!  :swear: I've been let go once, so I know how it feels to lose your job, but I deserved it and was more angry at myself.  

You know, I'm sure doesn't feel like it right now, but this could lead to a real opportunity to find some more rewarding place to work.  I spent about four days sulking, then got a call from my "mentor" at the former employer telling me of another opportunity doing the same thing somewhere else.  Long story short, there were more opportunities at the new employer which eventually led me to where I am today.

Good luck on your job search - keep us posted.

Greg
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline darkhawk

« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008 - 12:42:42 PM »
Bad break Jeff.  Sorry to hear the news.  I've gone through that a few times.  Each time was the same nothing personal, just business.  For me in the end it worked out but not without some pain and soulsearching.  Don't give in to the anger, keep the faith, lean on your friends and take a look at all your options. 
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008 - 12:47:06 PM »
Wow, Jeff, real sorry to hear about this.  :o  :-[

I was just reading your apologies thread and figured your boss would up your hours or something then I cam upon this thread.  :-\

Again, real sorry this happened.   Hope you find something fast.  I guess the bright side is that you can find a job that you like better that'll keep you a little busier than the previous job.

Maybe time to explore new avenues?  Go back to school?  :dunno:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Black340

• 1973 challenger 340 4 Speed
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008 - 01:27:04 PM »
Sorry about it Jeff, I been there before and it is not easy.. keep the faith and even that it is difficult to believe at first, sometimes things happen for the best..

Swedefish

« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2008 - 01:27:53 PM »
So thats the thanks for being honest.
Sorry to hear about your job, lets hope that it`s a opportunity to find something better.
Good luck with your search, :2thumbs:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #7 on: February 28, 2008 - 02:09:39 PM »
Sorry to hear that you're now laid-off, Jeff.  Best of luck with finding another job that you will enjoy and the pay is well. :2thumbs:  It sucks you were so sincere with him in your previous meeting and they decide to do this to you.
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline Winston

« Reply #8 on: February 28, 2008 - 02:21:19 PM »
Sorry to hear about this, Jeff.  Hope things get better and that you end up with a much better position elsewhere. 

Offline ViperMan

• Resident
  • 2017 Carlisle or BUST...
    • JS Custom Cars
« Reply #9 on: February 28, 2008 - 04:23:39 PM »
Super Blue 72,

I already tried the new avenue - I went back to school for automotive!  That's how I can GET jobs like the one I had.  I like this industry - I enjoy working with and around cars.  The nice thing is that my education and training and experience will help me find someone else quickly.  Whether it's a job I want or not has yet to be seen.

StreetChallenged73,

Yeah - that's what I thought.  I come to the guy for help - something most employees won't bother doing, and THIS is his solution!  Just a total, jack-ass maneuver, if you ask me.  I would think that if you had an employee come to you and say, "Help me make more money - help me be more productive," you'd do everything in your power to do just that - that's the kinda guy you'd WANT working for you, wouldn't you??  I could have just said, "Hey I need a raise so that I can get more money and not work any harder for it."  Ya know?!?!  It's total bullsh!t.... 

Jeff
2000 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe - 8.0L V10, 6-Speed Tremec
2005 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited - Trail Rated - 4.7L V8, Auto
2010 Dodge Challenger SE Rallye - 3.5L V6, Auto (Wife's!)

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2008 - 04:51:15 PM »
That guy sounds like a total a-hole. I wish you the best of blessings in finding a way better job. Keep your head up, there are still people in the world who value honesty and integrity, too bad that jerk you worked for isn't one of them.  :swear:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #11 on: February 28, 2008 - 06:01:30 PM »
Best of luck and keep your head up and pound the bricks. It's hard to take now but it usually works out for the better. The next job will have better pay and more opportunities for you!!!!!!!!!
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

nivvy

« Reply #12 on: February 28, 2008 - 06:02:27 PM »
everything happens for a reason............  :2cents: keep your glass halfful  :thumbsup:

Offline 426HEMI

• Sr. Resident
  • My M46 Barracuda! Member Since:October 01, 2005
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2008 - 06:02:34 PM »
I know that feeling Jeff.  Been done the very same way.  Just keep the faith and a new door will open for you.  I hope that it is very much better than the last one.  I have had several managers that have done me that way.  Even with Ford motor co.  I got the biggest percentage raise of anyone there at the hot line and was laid off without reason.  I took more calls than almost all of the 250 guys there but still was not good enough I think it was my age that did that to me.  Most are afraid of my education and training background.  O well now I have the best opertunity to make a very good wage for the next year and possibly more.  

Gordon
Got a pretty good start on my M46 optioned Barracuda restoration but now it is on hold till I can gather more funds.  Still need a few parts for it.  SIU Graduate 75 AAS Automotive Tech, 94 BS Advanced Tech Studies, 1997 MSED Workforce Education and Development

1970 M46 Barracuda
1998 Dodge Darango

Gordon

Offline back n black

« Reply #14 on: February 28, 2008 - 06:07:41 PM »
You got to keep up your hustle, don't let your dreams die....you got to stay on the grind and keep your head high...

Sorry that you are on a lay off as I am sure that would be hard.  Believe in yourself and identify the possibilities available to you.   You will find yourself in a better place.