front end rebuild instructions

Author Topic: front end rebuild instructions  (Read 3028 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
front end rebuild instructions
« on: February 29, 2008 - 11:06:33 AM »
I just purchased a complete set  of front end rebuild tools from a chrysler dealer on ebay,t is the pro mopar muscle tool kit.There is instructions for the rebuild in the box and i wanted to share.I had to change it to text even tho there are pics in the instructions because of the file size.Thot i would post it if anyone needed it.

Restoration Tools & Parts www;americanmU5cle.biz

TOOL TIPS

Upper Ball Joint Socket

1. With the upper control arm still attached to the body and the ball stud removed from the steering knuckle, place the ball joint socket on the joint and remove by turning counter clockwise. Helpful Hint: Cleaning and soaking with penetrating oil will assist in removing the ball

joint out.

2. To install the new ball joint, simply thread the ball joint in with the use of the socket.

Torsion Bar Remover

& Installer

1. To remove the torsion bar, first remove the retaining clip at the rear of the torsion bar where it fits. into the body,

2. Clamp the tool onto the torsion bar (about in the middle).

3. Use a hammer to tap on the tool, tapping toward the rear of the car. The torsion bar will move slowly out of the lower control arm, Be certain that all tension is off of the torsion bar prior to the above removal procedure.

Ill. To install the torsion bar, insert the torsion bar into the torsion bar socket in the body.

5. Place the hex part of the torsion bar into the lower control arm.

Iii. Attach the tool to the torsion bar and tap with a hammer toward the front of the car until the torsion bar is fully seated in the lower control arm.

1. Replace retaining clip at back of torsion bar,

Upper Control Arm Bushing Remover & Installer

1. To remove the bushing, remove upper control arm from body.

2. Place cup of tool outside of control arm, over the bushing.

3. Place the threaded rod through the cup and the bushing.

4. Place the nut and washer on the threaded rod at the top of the cup.

5. Place nut, washer and 1" di,ameter tube on the inside of the bushing,

Ii. Tighten the nuts, which will pull out the bushing.

1. To install the new bushing, place large cup on the inside of

the control arm with the threaded I rod through the large cup with the ' nut and washer on top of the

large cup.

8. With the threaded rod through the control arm, place new bushing on the threaded rod and align the bushing to the hole in the control arm.

9. Place the small cup over the threaded rod and the large end of the bushing and install the nut and washer. Tighten nuts to press the bushing into the

~nntrnl ;:,rm

Lower Control Arm

Pivot Remover

1. Thread the coupler to the end of the control arm pivot and thread the 1/3·13 threaded rod into the other end of the coupler, :/!. Slide the long barrel over the control arm pivot making sure the threaded rod comes out the hole in the top at the barrel.

3. Place the washer and nut on the threaded rod and tighten until it pulls the control arm pivot out.

Lower Ball Joint Stud Remover

Upper Ball Joint

Stud Remover

1. Remove the nut from the upper ball joint, and place tool with the bolt head against the upper ball joint stud. (The other end of the tool will fit on the lower ball joint stud nut.)

2. Place pressure on the upper ball joint stud by turning the bolt counter clockwise.

3. With pressure on the stud, hit the steering knuckle with a hammer. The stud will then pop out. (It may take several tries in some cases.)

1. Remove the lower ball joint stud nut.

2. Place the tool over the ball joint kunckle so the large bolt with the recessed face is over the stud.

3. Tighten the large bolt until it forces out the ball joint stud.

American .,~uscleoffers. thefinestquality. American', made toolsand·parts. For more information about other tools or parts, stop in your parts store or log. on the at web.www.americanmuscle.biz

American Muscle is aninnovative CNC manufacturerof high-precision specialty restoration tools and restoration parts for Chrysler A-Body, B & E-Body and C-Body cars. We use only the best materials, such as 8620 alloy steel and 7075-T651 aluminum.

70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline darkhawk

Re: front end rebuild instructions
« Reply #1 on: February 29, 2008 - 11:09:12 AM »
Thanks Moparnut.  Very helpful instructions. :wow: 
Nigel
73 Cuda
65 Valiant Convertible
04 Dakota

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: February 29, 2008 - 11:30:16 AM »
Thanks Moparnut.  Very helpful instructions. :wow: 

:iagree:  Thanks for taking the time to type all that out!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: February 29, 2008 - 11:37:07 AM »
These are helpful, and thanks for posting. Having been a technical writer, this part immeidiately jumped out at me:

3. Use a hammer to tap on the tool, tapping toward the rear of the car. The torsion bar will move slowly out of the lower control arm, Be certain that all tension is off of the torsion bar prior to the above removal procedure.

Rough translation: "If you've been banging on it for a while and it's not moving, make sure you've backed off the adjusters"  :bigsmile:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #4 on: February 29, 2008 - 12:59:31 PM »
 :clapping:  Thanks for posting that!!!!!!!!!    :2thumbs:
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
« Reply #5 on: February 29, 2008 - 07:53:19 PM »
Of anyone wants it in PDF I scanned it.The original has pics,just PM me your email addy.

PS I didnt type it,I Just scanned it in various formats,Text in Bitmap,PDf and Jpeg.If i dont do this when i get instructions for something,they tend to always disapear when i need them :bigsmile:
Glad to help
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3