Author Topic: Parking Brake question  (Read 783 times)

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
Parking Brake question
« on: March 02, 2008 - 06:26:22 PM »
I understand that there were 2 different parking brake cable configurations on E bodies.
After the parking brake cable, it goes to another cable.

1.One Cable ran down to rear diff and split to each drum near the diff.
2. Cable distributed to each side from one cable from the Trans cross member hook.

Was this determined by power plant or by assembly plant where the car was built?

What I'm trying to find out is what did Hemi Cuda cars come as originally. 
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
Re: Parking Brake question
« Reply #1 on: March 02, 2008 - 07:09:04 PM »
I thought 70/71 had one type and 72/74 had a different type

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: March 02, 2008 - 07:55:41 PM »
the 70 had a single cable from the pedal to near the diff & 2 individual cables out to each wheel
 the 71-74 had a short front cable from the pedal to the trans crossmember , then there was an intermediate cable from the leaf spring front mount around across the trans crossmember back to the other spring eye , then 2 individual cables to each wheel

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2008 - 08:28:31 PM »
Thanks CP

Now I'm wondering does anyone have the split to each side cables off the hook with US CARTOOL subframe connectors on their car.

I have some questions to ask about where it comes out thru the connector on the inside D/S of the connector frame.  Seems as if the parking brake cable is very short to reach thru the frame to the guide for the cable to go out to the left side. Need to see what its like when the depress the parking brake cable.

Does the guide move and hit the frame? May have to get a little longer 2-3" parking brake cable assembly (one off the pedal) a few inches longer so that the guide is a little further away from the subframe connector.
Mike, Fremont, CA.