Author Topic: Hardtop roof brace  (Read 992 times)

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
Hardtop roof brace
« on: March 03, 2008 - 01:45:14 PM »
Has anyone repaired one?  Is it spot welded on the sides where it attaches to the upper door frame or just a tight fit??  Is it a structural piece or just something to keep the roof from oil-canning?

Why I ask:
The roof brace on my car is a bit bent in the middle near the light, as if someone pulled down on one side of the light resulting in about a 1/2-3/4" space between the brace and the roof.  Plus the seam sealer has mostly popped off.  I was planning on cutting it, bending it back into shape, and welding the two pieces back together.   I'm looking for opinions on this or better solutions.  Any help would be appreciated. 
- Jerry

Offline moparclown

• Resident
Re: Hardtop roof brace
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2008 - 05:08:29 PM »
I have a real nice one if your interested? already removed at the spot welds,stripped and primed.

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2008 - 05:21:18 PM »
Heres a pic I just took of it

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2008 - 05:52:50 PM »
So it is spot welded at the ends.  Was it removed with the roof on or off?  Are the end tabs hooked or straight?  I'm wondering if it can be taken off with out cutting it...

Thanks for the offer, moparclown.  I will keep it mind.  Would you happen to have pictures of the end where it attaches to the top of the window frame available?
- Jerry

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2008 - 06:50:50 PM »
On ours, we put a scissor jack on the inside floor with a 2X4 upright against the brace. We then cranked up the jack and pushed the brace back against the ceiling.  We did it at a few different spots, and when we were satisfied that the shape was good we used a tube of silicone sealer (in a caulking gun) and applied a bunch all along between the brace and roof.  We let it sit for 24 hours and it was solid.  Before we did that, we had a pop-in spot on the roof above the brace that couldn't be filled and leveled because it kept popping inward.  The silicone solved the issue. 

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2008 - 06:57:04 PM »
I tried to get a pic for you?I removed this with the skin off,but you can remove the brace from the two end caps by drilling the spot welds and then drill out the two caps attached to the roof side rail.With the support in place it's very hard to get a straight shot with the drill bit.Hope this helps
                                                     The Clown

Offline moparclown

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2008 - 06:58:53 PM »
You shouldn't use silicone,use seam sealer

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2008 - 07:34:39 PM »
 :thumbsup:  Thanks for the pic, that helps.

Good idea on using a jack.  I'll try out that method first and see if I can push the brace back w/o damaging the roof.  If not, out comes the drill bits.

Agree on not using silicone.  The caulking emits acetic acid (think vinegar) as it cures which promotes rust.
- Jerry

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2008 - 07:41:29 PM »
Make sure you do not use a product like Sikaflex either as it will keep bonding and actually pull the roof panel towards the brace which will be seen from above, so nothing too strong of an adhesive. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.