1970 Cuda Tire Question

Author Topic: 1970 Cuda Tire Question  (Read 3622 times)

Offline elevenssc

1970 Cuda Tire Question
« on: March 04, 2008 - 12:59:38 PM »
I searched this thread for tire related postings and found one that was about 2 years old.  Unfortunately, most of the photos didn't load up...so I'll ask the question again and start a new discussion.

Will 275/60R15 BFG T/A's fit under the rear of my 1970 Cuda without rubbing the fender lip?  I've got the tires mounted on the rims and I placed the rim on the axle.  The back spacing looks OK (no danger of rubbing the leaf spring), but I'm concerned with the lip of the fender cutting the tire if I hit a bad bump.  The tire is definately inside the fender, and there looks to be enough clearance for normal driving/curzing.  But 4 people in the car could create tire rubbing issues.

I saw a post where someone fit the same tire under a Challenger without any worries, so I'm curious if the Cuda rear fender is similar/same as the Challenger rear fender with respect to tire clearance.

I'm putting 225/60R15 BFG T/A's on the front and I'm not expecting any issues with this set-up.

I do not want to roll the inner lip of the fender because of the fender trim ring that will complicate things. (besides I just dont think that is the right thing to do on this car).

Any help/comments are appreciated.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: 1970 Cuda Tire Question
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 - 03:07:49 PM »
assuming the wheel is normal offset you will not have any problems

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 - 03:34:37 PM »
That's the set up I have and no rubbing problems at all. :2thumbs:
Dave

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2008 - 03:46:52 PM »

It will fit with no problems but as Chryco said, the BS needs to be correct 4-1/2" is perfect IMO. I run the exact same tire size on my Challenger with stacks of clearance, 'Cudas are slightly narrower but I ran the same on my old 73, again, no worries. It's the best overall choice for fitment, size & looks. A search of the forum will confirm this.

:cheers:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 72Bcuda

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2008 - 09:45:55 PM »
Seems to how were on a 275/60R15 thread here I would appreciate an opinion.

I’ve gone through most of the tire combinations and this one is slightly different than I’ve seen (1/4” difference), so here goes.

I’m looking at some Cragar SS’s as interm wheels because I won’t be ready for rear suspension mods for a while. I realize I can’t get 295’s on without the mods so I’ll have to stick with the 275’s for now.

Cragar SS unilug has two appropriate options

15 X 10 (w) 4.25 BS
15 X 8 (w) 4.25 BS

1.   Will 4.25 BS  as opposed to 4.5 cause a conflict
2.   I’d rather the 10” wide rim to get a deeper appearing dish. Will a 275 fit on it? will this cause the sidewall to relax or offset to close to the fender lip? Would the 10” outer rim/tire  be to close to the fender lip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.
72 Barracuda - 07 RAM HemiSportQuad - 05 Durango SLT Hemi

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2008 - 09:56:26 PM »
I checked my back spacing and it is 4 1/8 (4.125).  There is about 7/8" between the wheel and leaf spring.  I checked the fender clearance with a straight edge and the pass side may need minor masaging.  the drivers side has about 1/8 clearance.  I'll probably make the minor mods to the fender to make things work.

Thanks to everyone for helping me out!!

PS...I realized after I posted this that there was an E body tire size post at the top of this list.  Funny how you cant find things when looking for them...especially when they are right in front on your face  :bigsmile:

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2008 - 10:43:46 AM »
Cragar SS unilug has two appropriate options

15 X 10 (w) 4.25 BS
15 X 8 (w) 4.25 BS

1.   Will 4.25 BS  as opposed to 4.5 cause a conflict
2.   I’d rather the 10” wide rim to get a deeper appearing dish. Will a 275 fit on it? will this cause the sidewall to relax or offset to close to the fender lip? Would the 10” outer rim/tire  be to close to the fender lip?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

4.25 will not be a problem on the 8" wheel. This sets it far enough back that it will clear the fender lip and the spring. Of course there are assembly variations from car to car and if replacement quarters have ever been installed it will alter the size of the wheel lip as well, but they should fit without issue.

4.25 back space on a 10" rim will cause interference issue with the wheel lip. The 4.25 back space with 275 tire on an 8 inch rim will give you around a half inch of space to the wheel lip +/- and eighth. Sticking the wheel another 2 inchs out with a 15x10 blows this clearance away. They flat out don't fit, at all.  The best way you can get that rim to fit is relocate the springs and swap the rear end to a B body unit, even then I don't think you'll get enough room.

BTW, yes, you can get a 275 on a 10 rim. It does stretch them a bit, but they will fit.

Offline 72Bcuda

« Reply #7 on: March 05, 2008 - 11:55:22 AM »
Thanks HP2, I lost my notes from previously having picked up a set of used SS’s off a guy with a B-Body. But they had 295’s and I wasn’t sure anymore if they were 8", 10" or 12" wide rim. Luckily I sold them the week after I realized they wouldn’t fit.

I realize I’m up for suspension mods all the way around. I need to get away from my Magnum 500 14”. Too many engine RPM’s with the flow of traffic on the highways here.
72 Barracuda - 07 RAM HemiSportQuad - 05 Durango SLT Hemi