Author Topic: galvanizing the frame  (Read 764 times)

Offline BruteForce

• '72 Dodge Challenger 340 5spd
galvanizing the frame
« on: March 04, 2008 - 08:17:34 PM »
I see a lot of resto shows where they media blast the frame, or chemically strip it. Then, the usual route is to powder coat it. But I wonder what happens to the insides of the boxed in frames. It would seem to be difficult to get a good coating on it. If you get the outside super well protected, what happens if the insides of the rails are bare metal?

I also don't see much attention being paid to the seams between riveted and bolted flat sections. Just painting the outside won't work for long, as moisture will be wicked up between the surfaces via capillary action. The only solutions are to separate the parts, coat them, then reassemble. Or (less effective) try to run a bead of sealant around the edges.

My '89 truck has been sitting outside for 10 years, with no rust. None. The factory has done a great job with improving corrosion resistance. Are they galvanizing the frames at the factory now? And has anyone considered galvanizing the frame during a resto? That would cover the inside inaccessible areas, too.

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: galvanizing the frame
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2008 - 10:01:23 PM »
It would be better to dip the entire body, to remove rust, the dip it again to e-coat it. That would get everything.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2008 - 10:18:51 PM »
It would be better to dip the entire body, to remove rust, the dip it again to e-coat it. That would get everything.

While this is the best way and costs alot more, another way to just stop whatever rust is inside the frames is to get one of these.

https://www.autobodytoolmart.com/p-14347-17830.aspx

I just bought one and will be spraying Rust Bullet or POR 15 this week end inside where all the holes are throughtout the frame and lower rocker panels. You connect it to a shutz gun.
Check out the Rust Fighter stuff on the same page that could be used also.

« Last Edit: March 04, 2008 - 10:20:56 PM by Topcat »
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2008 - 07:49:27 AM »

I just bought one and will be spraying Rust Bullet or POR 15 this week end inside where all the holes are throughtout the frame and lower rocker panels. You connect it to a shutz gun.

Hey Mike, What flavor paint will you be using in your Gatorade shultz gun buddy. :drunk:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2008 - 09:30:56 AM »
Hey Mike, What flavor paint will you be using in your Gatorade shultz gun buddy. :drunk:

For inside the frame, Rust Bullet.
Mike, Fremont, CA.