Author Topic: I finally have reverse  (Read 1292 times)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
I finally have reverse
« on: April 02, 2008 - 08:43:19 AM »
I  have been on the road for 5 weeks repairing my 4 speed reverse problem in my head. There was a post someone else made having reverse problems as well and they made a call to (brain fart on name) and they said to undo the side cover plate and raise it up and forward when installing the bolts.

I tried it yesterday and it worked. That was exciting enough, but what really excited me was the trans was coming out of 2nd and 4th when I let off the gas. Now for some reason since I adjusted the side cover, it works as it should. I find it amazing how little the plate was moved to make such a big difference in the shifting performance.

I also put my new speedo pinion gear in while I was under the car, so I have a speedo now too. And now all the gauges work again.
The only grief I have is the pressure plate is too light and when the outboard carbs open up, the clutch slips. So I still cant run w.o.t. till I buy another clutch set up. I bought this new one out of Summit and it was for performance muscle cars under 500 hp. When my tach hits around 3k under throttle it lets the clutch slip.
I hate pulling a trans laying on my back at my age. It's no fun.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: I finally have reverse
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008 - 09:55:40 AM »
Good to hear you are home Alan..................

What chances have we got of you posting some pictures of your Barracuda with the side scoops installed.......... pretty please. :swaying:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2008 - 09:58:16 AM »
Funny you should ask that. I am getting ready to fire up the car and take the scoops over to the body shop today to see about having them painted and when I can pick them up. I was also going to go look for some speakers for the rear package tray. Only having the small front speaker makes it impossible to hear it driving down the road.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2008 - 10:01:10 AM »
I'm glad that someone else was able to benefit from my situation. I couldn't believe how much of an impact on the operation of the transmission that slight adjustment of the side cover had. I spent so much time fighting that issue with my 4 speed.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2008 - 10:02:39 AM »
Just keep us posted of the progress please Alan.   I have been waiting a long time to see your scoops mounted and look forward to those pictures :drool:

Must be getting close to finish now your back if you are looking for rear speakers to finish off with. :2thumbs:

What is your preffered driving music in your Barracuda old mate...................... :ylsuper:

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2008 - 10:09:42 AM »
Music from the 60's and 70's.  I still have lots of small things to do to the car. It's just a driver and not a show car :ylsuper: So everyday I tinker with it is a fun day for me. I really need some better oem rear black panels. Mine are dry and cracked from the California sun. The car sat for 34 yrs dis assembled.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2008 - 11:44:14 AM »
there is a special bolt with a double deep shoulder that postions the side cover correctly , it goes in the center hole @ the rear of the cover , most people miss this & either stack washers to use the bolt or toss the bolt & replace it with another

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2008 - 01:04:33 PM »
In my much younger days I was also having a problem with my Challenger popping out of gear when letting off the gas.  I always thought it was a syncro problem and traded my hemi 4 speed to a guy I worked with that had a newly rebuilt fine spline one. To this day I wish I could get it back but, live and learn.  :faint:

1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2008 - 02:12:09 PM »
Al - I took CPs advice and bought the B&B style clutch for my B Stroker 451. It is the 3100lb race clutch from Mopar (McCleod in disguise) as it was less than $200 and have a McCleod ceramic clutch disc. the disc was about $210. This baby aint gonna slip - it will be the tires that slip  :woohoo:.

BTW - just to add to this thread. If you are going for a B&B style replacement I demonstrated to CP the easy way to get the over center spring on a car. That was to place the spring in the firewall side and rest it on the pedal pin. It has to come back just over half inch or so. Use 10" Channel lock pliers - one jaw behind the pin and the other on the spring. You will figure out which way the pliers go as it will only work one way. Think the easy way. Keep everything tight against the pin and squeeze the pliers together at the same time rotate the pliers toward the back of the car and the spring will "climb" over the pin. Be careful as it will just sit on the edge of the pin and will require a tap into the pin groove to secure it properly. So easy, no swearing or bent/skinned knuckles.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008 - 02:18:35 PM by 73EStroker »
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2008 - 06:49:09 PM »
Yeah, I need to do something about the clutch soon. I have a borg n beck in there now, so the over center spring is in the pedals. I had to re install all that stuff since my car came to me in boxes and totes. It was tanken apart in 1974.

Hemiken, they started on my scoops right when I got there today. I hope to have them back by this weekend. I also went and purchased 2 6x9 30 watt speakers and may do some tinkering tonight. I got a daytona shelby I am trying to chase the wasps out of to get it in my shop so I have a little turbo 4 cyl car to play with. If I dont v8 it

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2008 - 07:18:47 PM »
 :woohoo: That will be great Alan, the scoops will be on very soon.  Can you post a picture of a Daytona Shelby please, never got them here. :clueless:

Offline Changin Gears

« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2008 - 11:31:17 PM »
Popping out of 2nd and 4th is a common problem with E-bodies.  It's because the shifter boot is too stiff and/or hitting the console.  Try unscrewing the boot and see if that fixes the problem.  A new boot might be more flexible.

The not going into reverse problem is covered in the factory shop manual.  It is the interlock that prevents engaging reverse and 1st at the same time. There are 2 different internal 1/2 shift levers marked "A" or "B".  They have different clearance to adjust for this.  I have have clearanced this myself with a 4" side grinder on the 1/2 lever reverse interlock radius.

The shoulder bolt is not meant to position the side cover (although it does on the back half), it is to keep the cover from sliding back and forth on the case while jamin' through the gears.  It is positioned directly in line with the pivots of the shift levers.  This extra deep shoulder bolt was not on the early A833's, I believe is was added in the late 60'.  By the way, on the later model O/D A833's, the shoulder became "triple thick" for strength in the aluminum case.

The goal never changes - Stop the 60' timer with your back tires

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2008 - 11:40:17 PM »
Popping out of 2nd and 4th is a common problem with E-bodies.  It's because the shifter boot is too stiff and/or hitting the console.  Try unscrewing the boot and see if that fixes the problem.  A new boot might be more flexible.

The not going into reverse problem is covered in the factory shop manual.  It is the interlock that prevents engaging reverse and 1st at the same time. There are 2 different internal 1/2 shift levers marked "A" or "B".  They have different clearance to adjust for this.  I have have clearanced this myself with a 4" side grinder on the 1/2 lever reverse interlock radius.

The shoulder bolt is not meant to position the side cover (although it does on the back half), it is to keep the cover from sliding back and forth on the case while jamin' through the gears.  It is positioned directly in line with the pivots of the shift levers.  This extra deep shoulder bolt was not on the early A833's, I believe is was added in the late 60'.  By the way, on the later model O/D A833's, the shoulder became "triple thick" for strength in the aluminum case.

CG, welcome to cc.c and thanks for making my post your first post. I realized today driving back from the race track that my rubber boot, which is new, was bound up on the cosole and causeing it to slip out of 4th once in a while. The rest was internal binding behind the cover. I have resolved that.

Would you please go to the newbie section and make a start up post on your behalf so we can all greet you and introduce ourselves. And also, the gang loves pics, so be ready. Thanks for your advice...ALAN