Author Topic: dynamat and other similar products?  (Read 9022 times)

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
dynamat and other similar products?
« on: April 03, 2008 - 12:29:34 AM »
what are you guys using? the true dynamat seems pretty expensive... is it worth it? do the cheaper brands work as well? what about the lizard skin spray on stuff?

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
Re: dynamat and other similar products?
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2008 - 01:02:09 AM »
I used the LIzard Skin stuff on my Firebird and can say it so far hasn't made much of a difference in my sound levels.  I have to wait till summer hits to find out about the heat, but I may not wait that long.  I have Borla exhaust and even though at first they seemed a little more "muffled", it wasn't enough to make a big difference when my RPMs went above 2k.  Under that I can control the noise and the little sound proofing it does helps, but as soon as I hit 2.5k the unlucky person in the back seat starts complaining.  I have to really be conscious of when I shift when I have my 3 year old in the back.  I have heard some good things about Fat Mat and they seem to be cheaper than DynoMat, I may be purchasing that for the Firebird. 

BTW, my chally has a 318 with Flowmasters and doesn't sound anywhere near as loud as the 'bird.  Don't get me wrong it still has umph, just not as obnoxious as the Firebird.  I put down some factory replacement sound deadner and then lined the care with Reflectix for the heat. 

Oh, and if you do decide to use Lizard Skin don't bother with their 150 dollar sprayer.  Just use a 18 dollar sandblaster gun from Harbor Freight.  What a rip off, it did the exact same job.  The real key is steady flow from your air compressor and proper mixture of the product prior to spraying.

hannah

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008 - 01:22:08 AM »
A lot of people here rave about B-Quiet
You can check it out here

b-quiet.com

Suppose to work amazing !! And most only went with the Extreme not seeing a need for the Ultimate...the stats look better but...

Inexpensive...they ship fast...located in Calgary, Alberta Canada

Some say that Dynamat is over priced and over rated and today there are other choices

I believe they still have a store on E-Bay.ca and at one time the price there was cheaper than on their site...sorry I have not checked recently

If you go that route the Canadian Car Audio forum had a discount code...believe it was CAA and it got you a 10% discount

:wave:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008 - 09:02:06 AM »
Thanks for the link Hannah

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bart

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008 - 10:38:46 AM »
Here a good read about product and how to make it your self.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html?highlight=LIzard+Skin
1970 Cuda 383
2008 Titan
2010 G37s
1996 Advantage Victory 27 502ci
2013 HD Roadking

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008 - 11:18:13 AM »
Here a good read about product and how to make it your self.

http://www.hotrodders.com/forum/alternative-lizard-skin-103610.html?highlight=LIzard+Skin

Wish I would have seen that article before I spent 190 bucks on Lizard Skin.

Offline shawge

• Zoiks!!
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008 - 06:33:43 PM »
- Jerry

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008 - 11:17:43 PM »
I just received yesterday the Ultimate product from B-Quiet. They are located in Lethbridge, Alberta. Each roll was 1ft x 50ft and I got 2 rolls (100sq ft)  Each roll was $119CDN -8% discount at the moment. The link is www.b-quiet.com
Barry (Salmon Arm)

hannah

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008 - 11:50:59 PM »
I just received yesterday the Ultimate product from B-Quiet. They are located in Lethbridge, Alberta. Each roll was 1ft x 50ft and I got 2 rolls (100sq ft)  Each roll was $119CDN -8% discount at the moment. The link is www.b-quiet.com

Lethbridge now huh? Well thanks for the correction

:wave:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008 - 11:57:06 PM »
I used brownbread the last time I sound deadened something but I dont even know if they still make it. Just read the comparison test and I agree with it. The asphalt type like I have in my car is messy in the heat. When I do my Challenger I will undoubtedly use some sort of butyl product like second skin. I do agree that sound deadening a car with a multi-amp setup and good quality speakers is a must. It makes all the difference in the world when you can hear the little things like a breath in the mich or fingers sliding lightly over frets. If you love good clean music then sound deadening is the only way to go.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2008 - 12:11:14 AM by bb71challenger »
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2008 - 09:01:44 AM »
I used Dynamat on the ceiling before the new headliner went in.  Also on the bottom of the package tray.  It worked well.

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2008 - 07:18:26 PM »

Dynamat is great but almost works too good, the 440ci in Lucy is quiet inside the car, great cruising etc but I wouldn't have minded a little more noise, after all, it's a muscle car not a Bentley. At WOT or in higher rpms you can hear the rumble nicely. I'll be putting some down in Madeline but only in the feet area up front for heat protection. I want to HEAR the Hemi and engine in the 'Cuda so Dynamat is not going over the pan. If you like to hear your engine you may want to think of skipping or using it sparingly. :dunno: :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline wally426ci

• Sr. Resident
    • maryland mopars
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:34:30 AM »
 :popcorn:
{OOI====I====IOO}
      '71 Challenger
      [O[]=====[]O]
      '68 D100

Offline black71

• eph 6:12
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:20:41 PM »
hmmm i'm kinda thinkin secnodskin, but carl does bring up a good point

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:24:57 PM »
I can appreciate wanting to hear the engine but for me I want it as quiet inside and I can get it. Our cars did not have the best NVH grades around because of cost cutting of interior materials and such so I wanna help my car out. But if I had Carls engine I would probably leave the windows down in winter just to hear that hemi scream  :swaying:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*