Author Topic: rear swaybar & traction  (Read 1785 times)

Offline leanburn

rear swaybar & traction
« on: April 06, 2008 - 03:45:07 PM »
i have a serious traction issue with my 74 cuda. i was planning on useing a set of caltracs since i have had good luck with them in the past but then i got talking with a local hot rodder and he claims that a rear swaybar made a night and day difference on his road runner. now i'm thinking of a sway bar and snubber that way i get some better cornering too. anyone have any input, does a swaybar actually aid traction that much or is it strictly for body roll?

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: rear swaybar & traction
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008 - 04:54:46 PM »
Others who know much more than I on this topic will chime on soon I'm sure. I don't see how a sway bar could affect traction very much, though.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008 - 04:59:47 PM »
I don't see how a sway bar could affect traction very much.

Me either.   :screwy:

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008 - 05:00:24 PM »
Most drag racers remove the front sway bar as it aids in letting the front end rise transfering wieght to the rear tires.Never heard adding a sway bar could aid traction???
    :clueless:
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008 - 05:14:27 PM »
Wouldn't a rear sway bar would off set some of the rear weight transfer on a launch from all going to the right rear wheel? For lower horsepowered cars, I wouldn't think it would be a big deal. But once you start going up in the torque on takeoff and launch, it most likely would increase the ET. right?
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008 - 05:50:15 PM »
 :iagree:

The swaybar will help equalize the load between the rear tires. If you're loading just the right rear the body will roll as well, and the sway bar will help keep the back end level, which should help a little keeping things hooked up. I'm not sure it would make a HUGE difference, but it should help.

Offline Topcat

• C-C.com Expert
  • Member since 9/16/04
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008 - 05:55:28 PM »
Probably explains why Chrysler never put rear sway bars on Danas.
Mike, Fremont, CA.

Offline gkring

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:51:56 PM »
Somewhere around the 400 horsepower level you will see benefits from a rear sway bar as far as drag style traction. You want the car to leave as level as possible. That's the idea behind the RT and Cudas having extra leafs in the springs on one side. The drag race style we used on faster leaf and coil spring cars around here are stiff, welded to the frame, and allow very little side to side load transfer. www.wolferacecraft.com shows the style Ihave used in the past. if you want to try a stock style one for serious drag racing get one that is much stiffer than what you would want for road course handling.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008 - 11:01:23 PM »
My 72 cuda bickel pro stock tube chassis car has one on it. It helps keep both wheels planted. All pro stock cars have them. Wanna see mine. I will be driving my car spring 2009

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2008 - 02:34:05 AM »
my tube chassis Cuda had a rear sway bar to help keep both rear tires planted equally

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2008 - 07:08:05 AM »
  Front not neded on a drag car, if you put one on the rear for a drag car then you should preload it so as to offset the body roll, use a strong bar though.    :working:
  On a cruiser it can enhance the cornering of the vehicle.    :woohoo:
Dave

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:03:59 AM »
given the slowness of my car, i dont think it would be an advantage. since the body comes 'up' as soon as i'm rolling
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2008 - 10:30:40 PM »
It isn't so simple as add a sway bar and you'll have increased traction. Ultimately traction is all in the tires. However, how you do the initial hit and then continue to load the tires can be a big factor. It really depends on the chassis, power level, and violence of the launch on whether or not a rear sway bar would make an appreciable difference.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2008 - 10:38:10 PM »
Mine is rather large now that you mention it, it goes in this car, which the body is off right now, and re doing some tubes

Offline Nereth

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2008 - 11:06:11 PM »
In a corner, the rear sway bar will increase the difference in loadings on the rear, and thus cause oversteer.

With an IRS, under straight acceleration, ideally it would do nothing at all.

With a live axle under straight acceleration, I'm thinking the only way to counter the load transfer left to right or right to left, will be either asymmetries, or to try to transfer the torque back to the front (where, at this very moment, there is an equal and opposite torque acting! yay!). I'm not sure... but I think the only way to do that would be with a stiffer chassis and then maybe also more roll hardness in the rear, less in the front? The idea being to make the front suspension need to deflect a whole heap to react the torque (hence softer front roll hardness), then the stiff chassis helps transfer as much of that deflection as possible to the rear, where it puts pressure through the springs on the rear tyres, and hopefully reacts some of the torque through them, which should reverse some of the load transfer.