Author Topic: Heavy Fuel Smell  (Read 5370 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Heavy Fuel Smell
« on: April 06, 2008 - 05:51:16 PM »
A while back I posted about a heavy fuell smell when I top off the tank. I thought I found the problem when I was under the car checking things out during the suspension upgrade, and found that two of the caps over the lines that would go to the vapor separator had blown off. I reinstalled the vapor separator and ran all the lines to it.

Just finished the suspension work last weekend. I took the car to the gas station, filled up, and the fuel smell is still there. The only other thing I can think of that would cause this would be the grommet at the top of the tank the goes around the filler tube; I replaced both the tank and the grommet three years ago. I didn't notice any problems installing the grommet or sliding the tank onto the filler tube, but could I have installed it incorrectly? Is there anything else I'm missing?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Heavy Fuel Smell
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2008 - 05:58:40 PM »
it could be overflowing out a vent tube if it is not plugged or connected to the line

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2008 - 06:04:13 PM »
Are the vent tubes different than the vapor separator tubes?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2008 - 06:40:01 PM »
Check around your sending unit too. I had a small leak. Not enough to drip on the ground over a few hours, but enough to drip and run down the tank and stink it up.   :eek4:

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2008 - 07:14:43 PM »
Check around your sending unit too.

Mike

I hadn't thought about that. This begs the question, "What's the best way to lower the fuel tank?" When I put this one in it took me about 1/2 an hour to tighten the straps. Is there some tool that makes this easier/faster?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:05:02 PM »
as long as they are a deep well and ratched probably wont do it but I bet a ratchet wrench would do wonders in speeding up the loosening part.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:15:49 PM »
See if it appears to be coming from the sending unit....you should be able to tighten it on the car with a long screwdriver & hammer.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:47:32 PM »
See if it appears to be coming from the sending unit....you should be able to tighten it on the car with a long screwdriver & hammer.

I'll check it. I remember having some trouble installing the sending unit when I put it in. I wonder if maybe the gasket kinked?  :dunno:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:50:53 PM »
I'll check it. I remember having some trouble installing the sending unit when I put it in. I wonder if maybe the gasket kinked?  :dunno:

PLEASE USE CAUTION , gas and hammers is a scary thought for sparks. If you dont have a brass chisel, then put tape over the screw driver, or use wood.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2008 - 09:58:34 PM »
PLEASE USE CAUTION , gas and hammers is a scary thought for sparks. If you dont have a brass chisel, then put tape over the screw driver, or use wood.

Good catch Alan 
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:00:29 PM »

I've read several times folks having problems getting the replacement rings to tighten up well....I think they had to flatten them a wee bit to get them to seat completely
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:03:32 PM »
Good catch Alan 

:iagree: I like being unexploded  :)

I've read several times folks having problems getting the replacement rings to tighten up well....I think they had to flatten them a wee bit to get them to seat completely

Good to know. How can I check the flatness of the ring?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:06:44 PM »
If your sending unit went south, I will send you mine out of my 70 barracuda and the ring. I had to install a 3/8ths sender for my 440-6

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:08:19 PM »
I don't know how to answer that exactly.....but if the little ears have too much bend then they will lock up before they seat completely  is how I understand it....maybe best to wait for someone who as actual experience with this issue.
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:09:07 PM »
Thanks, Al, you are truly a gentleman. That said, I think the unit is OK, unless it was delivered bad; like I said, it's only about 3 years old. Although, my gas gauge hasn't registered properly since I put the sender in. I was following that other thread about how to diagnose that particular problem.

- Han Solo, Star Wars