Author Topic: Heavy Fuel Smell  (Read 5369 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Heavy Fuel Smell
« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:10:06 PM »
I don't know how to answer that exactly.....but if the little ears have too much bend then they will lock up before they seat completely  is how I understand it....maybe best to wait for someone who as actual experience with this issue.

So what you're saying is that the ring itself might be flat but the ears are bent too far down, too far toward the tank, in theory?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:14:42 PM »
I think the other way around....ears stick out...what you hit to tighten..
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:17:41 PM »
Note to self:

1) Get wood dowel
2) Remove fuel tank sender
3) Check ear aligment

:D

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:19:43 PM »
Note to self:

1) Get wood dowel
2) Remove fuel tank sender
3) Check ear aligment

:D

Also bend to adjust fuel level rod... :bigsmile:

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #19 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:21:39 PM »
I've read several times folks having problems getting the replacement rings to tighten up well....I think they had to flatten them a wee bit to get them to seat completely

Still working on getting my replacement ring to tighten up...   :pullinghair:

The ring has 3 points that provide the tension to make the seal.  It seems that the replacement rings don't have enough height to provide the tension against the sender.  In my case, it wouldn't even apply the most basic of pressure and the lock ring would move about with minimal ease.  I've been trying to bend it at the points to create more and more tension, but it must not be even because I still get some leakage.  It is possible that yours is doing something similar.   One day I hope to be able to put more than 5 gallons of gas in my tank ...  someday....   :clueless:
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008 - 10:26:23 PM by Scatterbrain »

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:22:25 PM »
Also bend to adjust fuel level rod... :bigsmile:

Any guidelines on getting this right, or is it just trial and error?

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #21 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:26:29 PM »
I will confess also. I had to adjust mine tighter after I filled up.  But I wonder if the vapor is coming from another sorce on yours. Bad or wrong cap, charcoal canister filter plugged. Bad vaccum lines to the breather system, ecs not tight

Take note as to when it is full if it is low or over full, then bend a little bit. Up for full and down for over full. won't take more than an 1/8 to 3/16. But the brand new brass float I had caused mine to be off. It was 1/4 full of fuel going in through the seem

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:33:12 PM »
I will confess also. I had to adjust mine tighter after I filled up.  But I wonder if the vapor is coming from another sorce on yours. Bad or wrong cap, charcoal canister filter plugged. Bad vaccum lines to the breather system, ecs not tight

Cap - what denotes a vented cap? I thought that, with Challengers with the ECS, none of the caps were vented?
Canister plugged - very likely, as it's original. I know that these are supposedly not serviceable, but a friend of mine told me that some guys have cut them open and replaced the filter material with stuff for acquariums. Possible? Good idea? How to reseal the canister?
I don't have a Thermoquad any more (Holley 4160), so that complicates things, as the line that would have run to the carb is open, but I don't detect any stronger odor there than anywhere else.

When absolutely topped off my gauge reads about 3/8 tank.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #23 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:40:47 PM »
vapor cannister filter is available...this info from Rockauto
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER 5.6L 340cid V8 (H) : Emission : Vapor Canister Filter    Related Parts

Item Price Core Total 
STANDARD MOTOR PRODUCTS Part # CF1  {CANISTER FILTER}
With 4.5 Inch Diameter
Choose: ($1.34) {5}+($1.59)
+ Sold in packs of {x}; Price reflects cost of each individual item, not the pack

FRAM Part # BA357  {AIR Vapor Cannister Filter}
Fuel vapor canister filter.

$1.36 $0.00 $1.36 
AIRTEX Part # 7F1001   

$1.40 $0.00 $1.40 

order from Advance
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?MfrCode=FRA&MfrPartNumber=BA357
« Last Edit: April 06, 2008 - 10:42:35 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #24 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:50:11 PM »
vapor cannister filter is available...this info from Rockauto
1973 DODGE CHALLENGER 5.6L 340cid V8 (H) : Emission : Vapor Canister Filter    Related Parts

Thanks Bullitt

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:51:47 PM »
I have a very fresh 72 thermoquad rebuilt by holley and hasnt had fuel put into it yet :bigsmile:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2008 - 10:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the thought, Al. While I'm jobless I'm avoiding spending money on the car (And a load of other things too), but if you've still got it when I get re-employed and get rid of the debt I've incurred I might take it off your hands.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2008 - 12:40:36 AM »
I'm real curious to see what you find.  I run my car for 5 minutes and sit in it and I smell like gas.  Wife always figures out when I sneak out to work on the car!  :roflsmiley:  I'll be getting ideas from you here!  :thumbsup:  :popcorn:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2008 - 01:04:53 AM »
I'm real curious to see what you find. 

So am I  :). I can tell you that it doesn't happen unless I top off the tank. 10 gallons, it's fine. Running the engine doesn't affect the smell one way or another (except that it's mixed with exhaust), so it sounds like we might have different issues, but I'll report back whatever I find.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:55:52 AM »
Sounds good!  Thanks!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger