Author Topic: Heavy Fuel Smell  (Read 5380 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Heavy Fuel Smell
« Reply #30 on: April 16, 2008 - 06:51:44 PM »
Well, I did some investigation today, and at least one source is definitely the sender area. There's something like a paste around the sender that I'm guessing is road dirt mixed with gas, but it definitely smells strongly of gasoline. I'm going to check out the fuel supply hose and make sure it isn't cracked, and if that's not it I'll pull the sender and look at the gasket and the ears.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 - 08:44:12 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline LAA66

« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2008 - 11:20:45 AM »
 Just few a suggestions, I found the stock lock ring without the "bumps" works better then the one that came from Spectra. Gluing the rubber ring to the tank and keeping the sender centered while it is tightened helps also. Tapping the ring with a hammer and chisel can cause miss alignment of the sender, a spanner tool works better. Remember to drain down the tank to below half as it will spill out once the ring is removed.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2008 - 11:26:39 AM »
Thanks for the info, LAA. I used whatever ring came from Year One; it's been a while, so I'm not sure if it had bumps or not. I do recall having trouble getting it together, however.  Once I get it apart I'll know more about what I need, but if the seal is torqued I may get a spanner tool, if they're not too  :money:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline LAA66

« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2008 - 11:33:07 AM »
 I made one from an old motorcycle shock spring adjuster I had laying around. :2cents:

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
  • Can Ya HEMI Now! If you can't dodge it Ram it!
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2008 - 11:53:58 AM »
I kept smelling gas on the 73 challenger.. I got up and peaked at everything I could. It was not unill I lowered the tank and took the pad off the top, that I found out most of the top of the tank has rusted through
65 Satellite     361 Ruby Red Poly
72 Challenger    360 Top Banana     
73 Challenger    340 Triple Black
87 Dodge Ram     318 Blue
88 Dodge Ram     360 Grey (+)
04 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited 4.7L Pewter Met.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2008 - 12:01:27 PM »
Thanks, Treefrog. I had the same problem, although mine was actually peeing out the side, and right onto my muffler  :22yikes:. I replaced the tank about 5 years ago along with the sender, seal and retaining ring, and the pad.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2008 - 03:32:52 PM »
where did you find a new pad?

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2008 - 04:10:03 PM »
My memory is a little hazy on this, but I think it was a generic (i.e., non-repop) item from Year One.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2008 - 04:20:26 PM »
I might be wrong. When I did the fuel tank I bought some stuff from Year One and some stuff (including the tank, I just remembered) from Mitchell Motor Parts, so the pad may have come from them. Frankly, if I had a choice between Mitchell and nothing, I'd cut a piece of carpet to fit. OK, I'm sure that's a terrible idea, but I'd go way, way out of my way to avoid having to deal with Mitchell. Lousy delivery times, and the worst customer service I've ever encountered.  :stomp:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline TreeFrog

• Resident
    • TreeFrog
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2008 - 04:27:43 PM »
understand.  I will have to look at my old one.

I may spray the liner on the car above the tank as well...

moisture could go both ways.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: April 17, 2008 - 04:30:35 PM »
I'm thinking I might pull my gas tank and paint it anyway, at least along the top. I might get a pint of POR-15 silver and do the whole thing.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #41 on: April 17, 2008 - 04:34:23 PM »
Treefrog, I'm about 90% sure that this was the pad I ordered, from Year One:

Part #    Description                                            Price
JH101      Fuel tank pads, 1970-1974 E-body           $20.95

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #42 on: April 17, 2008 - 06:02:17 PM »
I might be wrong. When I did the fuel tank I bought some stuff from Year One and some stuff (including the tank, I just remembered) from Mitchell Motor Parts, so the pad may have come from them. Frankly, if I had a choice between Mitchell and nothing, I'd cut a piece of carpet to fit. OK, I'm sure that's a terrible idea, but I'd go way, way out of my way to avoid having to deal with Mitchell. Lousy delivery times, and the worst customer service I've ever encountered.  :stomp:

You failed to mention the Mitchell motors prices.   :eek7:   :o   :22yikes:   :eek2:   

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #43 on: April 17, 2008 - 06:04:32 PM »
My car had the gas smell too. I changed out the tank, sending unit, main fuel line with SS, and all the rubber hoses about two weeks ago. No more gas smell.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #44 on: April 17, 2008 - 06:28:05 PM »
You failed to mention the Mitchell motors prices.   :eek7:   :o   :22yikes:   :eek2:   

Actually, the price was great, lower than anybody else. Maybe that's what kept them from sending it for three (3) months.  :rofl:

- Han Solo, Star Wars