Author Topic: Hydrotech  (Read 7748 times)

Offline 73EStroker

Re: Hydrotech
« Reply #30 on: May 21, 2008 - 12:16:09 AM »
The power steering to hose adapter for the pump should be Russell fitting #640380 which is the -6 hose adapter to 5/8"-18 inverted flare fitting on the pump. If the pump has a 1/2"-20 inverted flare fitting you need Russell # 640330 to adapt to -6 hose. I have the rest of the numbers for the Astro type hydraboost if you need them. They are metric to imperial fittings for the -6 braided teflon hoses. Let me know if this is enough.
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #31 on: May 21, 2008 - 07:17:22 AM »
Thanks for the numbers.  Mine is the 1/2 20 thread.  I will wait a bit longer to see if the one i need arrives .  Then i will think about ordering one.

Regards,

Otter

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #32 on: May 25, 2008 - 12:54:03 PM »
Is there anyone here I can take pictures (at lowest memory setting) and send them so that they can publish them? I have my booster setup installed and I cannot stress the importance of this plunger rod angle issue such as Otter45 has. I see why it was done this way though - easier to install and no cutting the rod down as I had to make mine so short it hardly fit in the vice to thread it down and have something to hold. My setup was a bit of a nuisance to make up but now it is EXACTLY the same as what came from the factory power vacuum booster setup. IE the angle is virtually straight onto the plunger rod. Remember how many times you touch the brake pedal during a normal drive. Especially if you have an auto tranny. Each time you push the pedal with excessive side load you increase the wear and tear on the side of the plunger piston. One day it may bind - not good. Also the stock setup reduces the pedal pressure with that small counter lever arm. It's all physics and geometry and won't be explained here but believe me. Direct from the pedal to booster will make your car seem like you are touching the brakes on an empty semi truck.

Otter45 -  all of this assumes you removed that little counter shaft that is activated by the brake pedal?
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #33 on: May 25, 2008 - 02:31:57 PM »
Hello 73 estroker.  I have the hydro tech system installed in my cuda.  And yes the counter shaft is removed and the plunger from the hydro boost is connected directly to the brake pedal.   I really dont see the angle being a trouble spot.  As for the counter linkage allowing for less pressure that is not an issue either.   You dont have to put my pressure to put your self thru the windshield.   I have a 74 dart with manual brakes  so i have to be really carefully from jumping from one vehicle to another.  Iam happy with the set up  put there should shims added to the kit to not allow the rod end to float so much on the break pedal rod

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2008 - 11:39:35 AM »
73estroker,
Do you have any pictures (or anyone) of the astrovan installation and backplate?
Thanks, Wes

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2008 - 10:41:11 PM »
MoparCar  -I went to take some pics and the damn camera has flat batteries. So I will get some tomorrow and send the pictures to DodgeBoys as they have offered to shrink them down to fit on the website. I had also planned to give the members a material list as well so that this job can be done with the minimum of hassle. Don't you just hate being the beta test guy!
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline MoparCar

« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2008 - 07:22:50 AM »
Thanks!
Wes

Offline redfastback

• my shop
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2008 - 10:45:42 AM »
all i can say about hydroboost is WOW!!!!  i have installed 1 kit on a car with 4 wheel disc and you push that pedal down 2 inches and your butt comes off the seat you stop so fast.  it pushes about 1200-1400 psi to the calipers and makes them clamp like no tomorrow.  what a difference compared to vacuum power assist.
"barracudas are like the pitbulls of the ocean"