Hydrotech

Author Topic: Hydrotech  (Read 7750 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: Hydrotech
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2008 - 09:56:36 PM »
Not bad, is it an e body specific kit.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2008 - 10:10:00 PM »
That doesnt include the master cylinder or proportional valve and yes it is for an ebody

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008 - 05:07:00 AM »
 :useless:

I just had too....................
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline dwbiggs

« Reply #18 on: April 25, 2008 - 10:16:28 AM »
That doesnt include the master cylinder or proportional valve and yes it is for an ebody

Wow  :scared:  Seems a bit pricey.  Guess I'll stay back up on the porch.

1974 Challenger Rallye - 440+.040, 0 decked, 10.5:1, Ross Pistons, Hughes 3844 cam (238/244, .536/.540), Eddy RPM manifold, Eddy aluminum heads, Holley 750, TTI headers, .96" T-bars, IAS shocks, 1 1/8" front sway bar, 3/4" rear sway bar, XHD 6 leaf springs, Firm Feel stage 2 steering box.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #19 on: April 25, 2008 - 10:36:13 AM »
Wow  :scared:  Seems a bit pricey.  Guess I'll stay back up on the porch.
It is a lot more than a new booster (around 100 bucks) but if you want to run a large cam to get the proper vacuum you would have to run a vacuum canister or pump which is going to cost you (how much I'm not certain). Also from the race guys I have talked to hydraboost systems are absolutely great way to go for high performance applications.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline HemiDog

• Do not Assume!
    • Hemi Dog
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2008 - 03:25:53 PM »
The guys at Hydroboost are great to talk to.  They will really walk you through your options and explain everything very well.  This is the only picture I can find at the moment of mine.  I have a picture of the installed unit, but will post it when I find it.   The kit that is sold, only has the Hydroboost unit with the e-body specific firewall mount and all the hoses and adapters to hook into your configuration.  Things like what power steering pump are you running, are you running a fluid reservoir, and what master cylinder will you be using will determine how much hose and what adapters they will include for you.   I am running a mini PS pump, so I need a reservoir (went with PSC) and decided on a Wilwood master cylinder.  Hydroboost was spot on with what they included. :2thumbs:

Still waiting to get the car on the road, so I can't comment on the feel and performance of the unit yet.  :hyper:

By the way,  I have a hemi and there is plenty of room.

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #21 on: April 25, 2008 - 07:48:30 PM »
heh hemidog did you notice the notch cut into your hydro boost unit  were your master unit mounts to it.  i looks like a seal drain but shouldnt it be located on the bottom instead of the top.  mine is just like the one you posted in your photo.

Otter

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2008 - 09:10:53 PM »
For those interested here is a picture of the hydro boost witht the hose kit for an e body

otter

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2008 - 07:42:19 AM »
Hey Otter24
Have you installed your booster yet? Pictures please.
I just recived my hydroboost so any thoughts you can share before I start with my install would help.

Thanks
Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2008 - 10:38:24 PM »
That sure looks like the one I got out of a GM Astro Van for $21. They just took the base mounting plate off and made the adapter. Believe it - the GM unit will fit the E Body mounts with a small amount of reaming the holes on the outer sides only. About 1/16" each hole. Then I used a 1" thick solid alum adapter plate to get some length on the master cylinder plunger shaft as the Astro unit does not fit in this case. Now I have to mount a Rod End off a airplane to adapt the pedal shaft to the Challenger and cut the original shaft and thread it. Sounds complicated but it is not. Getting the shaft to pop out of the MC plunger is quite a task but don't give up, it comes out eventually.

For the love of me I cannot post a picture on this site. I will try my darndest to get a set of pictures into Photobucket or something to explain this better once I am done. With hoses, the hydraboost, parts and pieces I should come in around $200 all up. I already have the schematic for the hoses and fittings required and the PS pump adapters etc.

And the unit can be mounted either way up or down. My friend's Corvette has it the way it is shown on the pics here
« Last Edit: May 19, 2008 - 10:40:16 PM by 73EStroker »
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008 - 11:36:51 PM »

I'm 95% sure the Hydro-Tech kit is the same thing XV sell, "Hydroboost".
They look good, I've got one for Madeline, more room, cleaner finish, better braking.

:2cents: :wave:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #26 on: May 20, 2008 - 07:30:44 AM »
  Hello Dodgeboys i did indeed install my hydro boost set up.     I had to open up the holes were it mounts on the firewall.    The plunger also mounts directly to the  brake pedal.   As for the brake light switch i just gave the braket a little tweak and it worked just fine.   The only real problem i ran into is that i didnt receive the proper fitting to go into the high pressure side of the powere steering pump.  Iam using my old power steering line for now.

Otter

Offline 73EStroker

« Reply #27 on: May 20, 2008 - 03:01:46 PM »
Otter - Russell fittings makes the adapter you need for the PS pump. That is if you want to make up a new teflon braided line. Pease respond and if you want me to, I will get ya the numbers of anything you need tonight. I had stated earlier that I would like to document this hydraboost install of mine for all to see with text and pictures somehow. If you took the cantilevered arm off the brake pedal system and connected straight to the pedal then there is one caution to watch for - that is you have altered the geometry of the brake pedal to the plunger rod which could cause a bad offset/sideload on to the plunger should you need a hard sudden brake application and where the pedal travels further down than normal brake application. I looked at the same idea and went with the adapter to bring the unit out from the firewall by 1".
Barry (Salmon Arm)

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #28 on: May 20, 2008 - 04:19:34 PM »
 :useless:
Please post pictures of your break pedal setup?

The kit comes with a rod to hook it the pedal as per the instructions 73stroker do you have pictures also yet of your install.

I am way  :clueless:

Go Fast & Have Fun...

Offline 0tter45

« Reply #29 on: May 20, 2008 - 09:41:55 PM »
I dont think the ofset of the plunger is to bad.  But there should be a spacer to keep the fork lined up properly.    73e stroker i wouldnt mind the part number for the fitting that would go into the pump.    Iam waitng for one from hydro tech so hopefully it shows up soon.  Other wise i might have to do my own searching for one.