Author Topic: Any other bracket racers?  (Read 458 times)

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
Any other bracket racers?
« on: April 07, 2008 - 07:36:34 PM »
This year since I bought the Duster drag car I`m going to sign up for IHRA membership and run in the points program.I`ll be running Modified class starting off with my Barracuda running on drag radials till I get the Duster sorted out and running hopefully before mid season.I`ve been flogging my cars on street nights for a lot of years and doing pretty good but I don`t expect to go too many rounds my first season racing the big boys but it should be fun!Anyone else bracket race here?
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Any other bracket racers?
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2008 - 07:37:46 PM »
i've always wanted to try, but really i'd prefer to have a 'race car', abody or so to tear and tweak on. have fun!
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline torredcuda

• Sr. Resident
  • Epping NH joined 11/23/03
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2008 - 07:44:13 PM »
Yup,that`s why I bought the Duster so I don`t have to worry so much about blowing up my Barracuda at the track.The Duster will also be way more consistent with an automatic,slicks and suspension setup for launching and going straight not cornering like the cuda.I am kinda proud of the fact I won street night a couple years ago with my four speed,BFG radial T/A(no traction) tired car right off the street agianst some cars set up for the drags.
Jeff
72 Barracuda 340/4spd  Torred
70 roadrunner 383/auto  In-Violet
70 Duster 360/auto drag car  (Petty Blue soon)
04 Ram 2500 5.7 Hemi

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:45:20 PM »
I've been doing it for many, many years, but not too much in any single year. 12 years straight at last count, with at least another 6 some years under my belt prior to that. I'll admit it up front, I suck at it. With all those times down the track I have yet to win a race. I've won many rounds, but never the whole enchilada.

Funny thing about drag racing; I have a dedicated drag car. It is a bit tempermental, subject to variations in power and e.t. because of changes in atmosphere, is fairly quick and fast so I'm doing the chasing most the time, and sits around the vast majority of the year. My other cars that are not a purpose built drag cars are not as quick or fast so I'm usually being chased, vastly more consistent, less tempermental, more fun to drive, and have taken me deeper into rounds than the dedicated race car ever has, plus I get to drive them anytime the weather is nice.

I'm ditching the dedicated drag car....

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2008 - 08:56:57 PM »
I love drag racing, but really cant run NHRA the class I want anymore, getting old and health acts up. But here's my 499 dart. It is just a toy. It only ran low 10's untill I did a different intake n fuel system. Then it only ran like 9.80's.  I had 3 miles on the engine since 1997. Never time to drive it. I took it out last year. And then sold it to someone who will drive it. My 72 cuda runs high 7's now, but here's a pic when it was a street car running mid 9's with the slicks on it, oops gotta find the cuda pic