Author Topic: Anyone like jigsaw puzzles?  (Read 1183 times)

Offline 72bluNblu

Anyone like jigsaw puzzles?
« on: April 08, 2008 - 03:28:34 AM »
When I bought my car it came with a gallon size ziploc bag. The PO gave this to me as "what's left of the broadcast sheet." The bag was filled almost entirely with upholstery foam, carpet bits, etc...and a some little chewed up bits of paper. Seems like a mouse used it for some insulation in his house!  :crying:

I finally donned my mask and gloves to deal with the contents of the bag, which included all of the little seat parts, some petrified turds and, at the very bottom, the mummified remains of the source of my problems. It also had a lot of pieces of my broadcast sheet of various sizes and conditions, along with a few random scraps of paper (McDonald's scratch and win, gum wrappers, the usual). I found a couple larger scraps in the glovebox. Seems to be mine, I can make out a few numbers on the sheet that seem to relate including the last 2 of my VIN. Sadly, my car seems to only have one sheet in it, I looked in all the other places but I suspect it was under one of the front seats, which were recovered before I got there. At least they saved it! I've thought about trying to sort it out and put it on some kind of contact paper, but I'm really not sure it would be worthwhile.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: Anyone like jigsaw puzzles?
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2008 - 10:08:47 AM »
That's sad.  I thought it was like a car jigsaw puzzle or something...  :(

Definately save it while you still can.  :grinyes:  It is worthwhile.

The one under my front seat was almost like that but definately not as bad.  I was fortunate to find one more intact in the rear seat back and used that as a model.

What I did was using the better one as a model or else go on the internet and find a pic of one to use as a model and go to town putting it together like a jigsaw puzzle, matching up pieces by color and looking at the letters/codes on each piece which will clue you into the approximate location on the buildsheet.  I did this on a white piece of paper.  Once I knew where all the pieces went, I glued them to the white paper then put the whole deal in a clear plastic sleeve.

Here's a pic of my better one to look at:

I thought I had a better pic of a blank buildsheet but I can't find it.  Here's one I had.  Hope it works out for you!  :thumbsup:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2008 - 01:56:47 PM »
I have run into this also.  They way I do it is to get an adheasive board.  This is like the ones in older photo albums.  You can use one of those also.  You can only stick the piece once and it is there.  You have to make 100% sure that is where it goes.  You can rebuild the sheet this way, a piece at a time, and then cover it will a clear plastic sheet.  If it is a photo album page the clear sheet will already be there.  Before you cover it with the clear sheet, I would take a pic of it.  Sometimes the glue can get old after a few years and peices may move.  There is only maybe a 20% chance of that but just in case it is good to have a pic.  If you take the pic after the clear sheet is there you will have glare and reflection.  Good luck.  It just takes time and it is worth it.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2008 - 03:00:38 PM »
That's pretty much what I was thinking, some kind of contact paper. I'd have to lay it out as best I could first, then just transfer it over piece by piece. As the picture shows I have about 4 or 5 decent size pieces, but after that some of them are really small. Some are pretty damaged (soiled) by rodent activity too so they can't even really be made out as to what's there. I'll give it a go one of these days when I'm feeling bored...

And I'll keep checking the registry and hoping someone finds an extra in their car!