What Could It Be?

Author Topic: What Could It Be?  (Read 4085 times)

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
What Could It Be?
« on: April 08, 2008 - 11:45:10 PM »
  Ok, right up front i'll admit my mechanical knowledge is a weak point so at this time i'm stumped. My '86 D250 has slightly over 232k miles on it. Fresh rebuild on an '87 360 topped by an Eddy Performer carb on a stock manifold at 228k. New distributor, water pump, plugs, wires, battery, control module, and fuel pump. It's been running fine, although a bit on the rich side. Last sunday i drove it about 20 miles north of town to a small cruise-in at the local O'reilly's Auto Parts parking lot. Just under a mile from the O'Reilly's i noticed, or rather felt, a slight hesitation at speed (55mph). By the time i limped to a parking spot, it was spitting and sputtering and basically dying out.
  I knew that the folks involved with building my Challenger were there, so i went up to them (Gerry and Johnny) to explain what had just occurred. During the few minutes Johnny spent checking things out i heard a couple of loud backfires followed by the news that my timing was slightly off combined with an errant vaccuum hose. I was told to bring it by the shop where the timing could be more accurately set. Cool.
  Now, the truck sat for about half an hour before i drove half a mile to a Wally World for some quick shopping since i was in the neighborhood again leaving it for about 20 minutes. As soon as i began to drive away the sputtering and backfiring started again, though not quite as bad as the first time. I called Gerry who was just finishing putting up the cars he had taken to the cruise-in who suggested meeting him at his house about 3 -4 miles away where i could leave my truck for Johnny to look at. I barely made it halfway before the spitting, sputtering and loud backfiring (think gunshot loud :22yikes:) forced me to park on the side of the road. I again phoned Gerry who said they'd be there in a few minutes. After arriving Johnny checked things out, and finding nothing out of sorts, drove it the remaining couple of miles to Gerry's house.
  Johnny's educated guess was the computer and it was this morning before one could be located and pulled from a donor '86 truck with 80k on it's odometer. After replacing the computer this evening and test driving, all was said to be ok. Gerry picked me up from home after i had gotten off work and brought me to his house where i happily picked my truck up and headed the 25 miles back home.
  She drove fine, and even felt a little stronger than before so i topped off the tank about halfway home. But then with about five miles to go i noticed the surging start up again along with a slow but steady loss of power followed by the spitting and sputtering - the loud backfiring has not returned. I pulled off the road just a couple of blocks from home, phoning Johnny to let him know what had happened. He's now considering the distributor cap and will get up with me in the morning which i agreed to. In the meantime after sitting for about 15 minutes, i was able to limp home and shut it down.
  I trust Johnny as he not only built the 360 in my truck as well as the 440 to go in my Challenger but also regularly maintains Gerry's cars including the Viper i got to ride in last sunday. I'm just trying to make sense of things :clueless: :dunno:
  (Bad) fuel related? Electrical? I'm not sure but we'll see what happens tomorrow...

:working:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U
Restoration thread: http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=27173.0
Member since December 13, 2002

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
Re: What Could It Be?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008 - 03:28:48 AM »
I would tend to think that you have a "lack of fuel problem."   Could be a restricted fuel filter or maybe a bad fuel pump.  Hope you get it solved!
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2008 - 03:34:54 AM »
I agree possibly a bad fuel filter or pump

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2008 - 06:39:50 AM »
Well i was thinking that loss of power was fuel related but the that it seemed to happen after becoming fully warmed up had me thinking of vapor lock. I've not experienced vl but it makes sense. A motor needs electricity, air, and fuel to operate; in this case maybe it was choking for lack of fuel. A fuel filter is simplest to replace; i'll begin there. Thank you!!
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008 - 06:53:29 AM by onefornow »
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline DAYLEY/CHALLENGER

• Resident
  • Still My Inspiration..1971, Rockingham, Nc
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2008 - 06:59:21 AM »
Does sound like a fuel related item.  My Toyota truck did this to me twice.  It was the fuel filter.  Got stopped up and restricted the flow.  Didn't backfire though!!  :popcorn:
Dave or David

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2008 - 07:34:37 AM »
Around 1970 or 1971 we had a bus driver who drove some of us kids back and forth to day camp from Brooklyn to Staten Island. On the return trip after leaving the Verrazano bridge and getting under some of the elevated highways on the Brooklyn side he would sometimes cut the motor off, then fire it back up causing a loud bang from the exhaust. Same as what happened to me sunday, but at least that symptom hasn't returned.
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2008 - 10:41:20 AM »
Check the fuel tank venting, maybe the gas cap. 

Sounds like fuel starvation as you drive the pump keeps sucking out of the gas tank until it can't overcome the vacuum, then it leans out.  Let it sit for a while and the vacuum is slowly released.  Sometimes the inside layer of any rubber gas hose delaminates and blocks the fuel delivery also. 

I'm a great believer in starting to look for a problem with the easiest (cheapest) solution!  I'm also so old that a computer in a car seems just scary!   :scared:  I've watched Terminator too often!
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2008 - 02:36:35 PM »
Coils sometimes are faulty and heat causes them to act up.
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2008 - 06:17:43 PM »
At this point it seems to be a combination of issues. Here's a pic of the original computer - it wasn't such a bad idea to replace as the connector areas have seen better days. Also the distributor cap and rotor button were toast; they've been replaced by new parts. I began by replacing the fuel filter which had no effect on things. Now it's hard to crank and has a rough idle. Giving it gas at speed results in popping and sputtering though not nearly as bad as before and so far no backfiring  :working:
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline MEK-Dangerfield

• C-C.com Expert
  • I don't get NO respect! Member since 1/25/2002
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2008 - 06:20:04 PM »
Russ,

It certainly could be the carb. Has it been rebuilt at all? Just curious, but what type and size is it?

Mike

Mike

1970 Challenger - SOLD
2016 SXT+.  1 of 524 SXT+'s in Plumb-crazy for 2016.

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2008 - 07:24:28 PM »
I bought the carb new last year; so far as i know it was installed straight out of the box; Eddy 1405.
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U

Offline Challenger6pak

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2008 - 09:36:26 PM »
Have you checked the ballast resister?  I do not know if this year even has one.  My '85 does. When it heats up it could be shorting out.
1969 Sport Satellite H code convertible, 1970 Cuda 440+6, 1970 Challenger R/T 440+6, 1970 Challenger 383 R/T auto, 1970 Challenger R/T 383 4 speed,1971 Challenger convertible.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2008 - 09:53:06 PM »
We had a 89 6cyl Dakota that started & ran OK but under any kind of acceleration or load would shudder, no power, can't remember it backfiring....on it's 4-5th trip to the shop they found the distributor shaft was broken.

Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2008 - 03:13:22 AM »
 :clueless: Do you have a catalytic converter on your D250?  Could be plugged up causing severe exhaust back pressure.   :clueless:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline RusTy/SE

• Sr. Resident
  • Just havin' fun
« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2008 - 09:07:36 AM »
Have you checked the ballast resister?  I do not know if this year even has one.  My '85 does. When it heats up it could be shorting out.

No ballast resistor. By the time the 86 models came out it's function had been replaced by the computer.

We had a 89 6cyl Dakota that started & ran OK but under any kind of acceleration or load would shudder, no power, can't remember it backfiring....on it's 4-5th trip to the shop they found the distributor shaft was broken.

I have a fresh reman distributor on hand just in case...

:clueless: Do you have a catalytic converter on your D250?  Could be plugged up causing severe exhaust back pressure.   :clueless:

It was removed when the tailpipe and muffler were replaced in '04.

I'll readjust the carb later today...

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=18414.0
Russ
2001 Durango     1B4HS
1970 Challenger  JS29U