Author Topic: Cleaning Rust Stains  (Read 796 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Cleaning Rust Stains
« on: April 09, 2008 - 05:48:43 PM »
A while back I started a thread looking for ideas about how to remove rust stains from my trunk mat; I think that thread was lost in the last purge. The consensus at the time was that it would be very difficult to do if it could be done, and that I'd be better off getting another mat.

Since I've never been after a show car, and since I have a lot of time of my hands right now, I decided to keep after it. Long story short, my research lead me to a substance called oxalic acid which is used to bleach wood and to remove rust stains from concrete. I got a small amount, tried it, and it works. I will say, though, that it was a lot of work, and from a time-investment sense it probably wasn't worth it. If you have something with a rust stain that's very expensive or irreplaceable, however, this would be one way to go.

Pics show before and after in roughly the same area. The after pic is still wet from a soapy wash to get rid of the rest of the acid.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2008 - 05:58:59 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
Re: Cleaning Rust Stains
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008 - 08:30:23 PM »
Glad to see you got it off.   :2thumbs:

Tom :woo:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008 - 12:31:13 AM »
Cool!  How did you figure out oxalic acid?  I wonder if that's in that stuff called CLR-calcium, lime, and rust cleaner?  :clueless:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2008 - 09:14:01 AM »
Cool!  How did you figure out oxalic acid?  I wonder if that's in that stuff called CLR-calcium, lime, and rust cleaner?  :clueless:

I googled "remove rust stains"  :bigsmile: I read about three pages worth of responses and oxalic acid kept coming up. I'm not sure about CLR, but I did find one page that sayid oxalic acid is in a laundry detegent that goes by the brand name of Zug; I've never heard of it.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars