Author Topic: Caliper Rebuild Question  (Read 3459 times)

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
Caliper Rebuild Question
« on: April 11, 2008 - 11:48:07 AM »
I am going to rebuild the calipers on my 74 Cuda.

The FSM indicates that I should use a lube on the seals when reassembling.

Is this lube something that I can get a the local Chrysler dealer, or auto parts store???

Thanks,

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Caliper Rebuild Question
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008 - 11:56:35 AM »
you can use the brake lube or just use brake fluid as a lube

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008 - 06:47:47 PM »
 :iagree:  10 times easier and they slip right on :2thumbs:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008 - 06:55:40 PM »
The book says to use compressed air (blow through the brake line connection) to balloon the dust seals out during re-install....amazing how well this works, I don't think it can be accomplished otherwise...don't ask me how I know.

« Last Edit: April 11, 2008 - 11:33:20 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008 - 07:07:53 PM »
I use the McKay brand clear assembly lube for disk and drum pistons, seals and such.
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline quagmire

• Traction Impaired......
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008 - 09:24:30 PM »
Caliper rebuilding is quite easy.  Use a blow gun with a rubber tip on the brake hose fitting hole to push the piston out, put a block of wood in the caliper bridge to catch it and watch your fingers!  When removing the old seal and boot, use a plastic or wooden pick or you will gouge the bore and cause a leak.  Use crocus cloth to clean the bore and steel pistons up, replace if they are pitted badly.  Brake fluid or a slicone lubricant like sylglide should be used to assemble it back together.  You should be able to seat the piston completely easily by hand if you rock it gently while pushing down.  Use a block of wood to tap the new dust boot in place. 

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008 - 07:35:56 AM »
  All of the above, don't use too much force, the piston should be able to be pushed in by a firm hand if lubed correctly.   :thumbsup:
Dave

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008 - 09:12:34 PM »
Thanks for all the replies guys.

I got one of the pistons partially out on the weekend and it is badly rusted and the chrome is flaking. 

So for the cost, I think I will just put on some reman calipers.  I am concerned that the caliper bores will be scored and prone to leaks.

Man it never ends... 
74 'cuda 360/727

Gearhead: car nut, automotive enthusiast, one who loves hot rods, muscle cars, hot trucks, burnin' rubber and neck snapping performance. 

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2008 - 09:59:35 PM »
Would it not be easier to just buy a remanufactured caliper instead of the headache of rebuilding?? :clueless: Unless of course you enjoy the mechanical side of it. I haven't tried to purchase a caliper for my Mopar in years, but years ago used to rebuild a master cylinder or two when I realized the rebuild kit was as much or even more than just buying a rebuilt master cylinder!! :screwy: I just bought Duralast lifetime warranty remanufactured brake calipers for my Ford Explorer for around $25 bucks each (with core). Not too bad. I don't know what I would have saved doing a rebuild. Are the Mopar calipers expensive?? Just some thoughts!!

Matt B.

Matt

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2008 - 10:20:59 PM »
Would it not be easier to just buy a remanufactured caliper instead of the headache of rebuilding?? :clueless: Unless of course you enjoy the mechanical side of it. I haven't tried to purchase a caliper for my Mopar in years, but years ago used to rebuild a master cylinder or two when I realized the rebuild kit was as much or even more than just buying a rebuilt master cylinder!! :screwy: I just bought Duralast lifetime warranty remanufactured brake calipers for my Ford Explorer for around $25 bucks each (with core). Not too bad. I don't know what I would have saved doing a rebuild. Are the Mopar calipers expensive?? Just some thoughts!!

Matt B.

Yep that is the plan now. Reman calipars are about 40 bucks (20 for the core) from Rock auto.  Already have a reman MC for the car. 

The caliper rebuild kits are a couple of bucks and I do enjoy the mechanical side of it, but, I did not expect that the pistons would be so bad, so I am rethinking the rebuild.

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008 - 03:05:36 AM »
I just did the seals on a set of the 4 piston calipers , we polished up the bores & the pistons , installed new seal & it slide back together easily , there were no rebuilt cores available so we had to fix the ones we had

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008 - 04:44:45 AM »
  The bores on the calipers generally don't wear or distort, therefore as CP said a light hone, new pistons and seals and they are as good as new for much less than remanufactured. I owned a Brake & Clutch business for a few years and I over hauled plenty of calipers, to my recollection I only had one caliper that needed the bore attended to.
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008 - 06:06:19 AM »
thwe bores can get pitted with Rust if moisture is allowed to sit inside

Offline CUDA JAS

• Resident
  • vroooooom!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2008 - 07:48:03 AM »
thwe bores can get pitted with Rust if moisture is allowed to sit inside

That is a real posibility!!  Car sat outside for too many years!  BY the look of the piston, I woudl not be surprised if the bore is pitted as well.

Reman calipers are not to expensive, considerign we are talking about brakes they are downright cheap, so I figure I will go that way.

Jas
74 'cuda 360/727

Just call me a gearhead!

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2008 - 08:42:45 AM »
Don't assume that the rebuilds are gonna be better than what you would do... I have a remanufactured master cyl. that has stripped threads & apparently some parts left out.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!