Anyone other than XV?

Author Topic: Anyone other than XV?  (Read 3140 times)

Offline Volvolution

• mmmm.... fried rice....
Anyone other than XV?
« on: April 11, 2008 - 03:46:44 PM »
I haven't been able to find much info on anyone else making a performance suspension for a challenger other than XV. Not that I don't like them, just looking around.

So, does anyone know of anybody other than them that makes high quality suspension kit(s) for our cars?
oh....... too many cars. not enuff money... not enough time....

{oo/======\oo}

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
Re: Anyone other than XV?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008 - 03:51:56 PM »
I think this and the magnum force k member are the most well known

http://www.reillymotorsports.com/store/home.php?cat=255
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:19:38 PM »
lots of people on the site with bills alterktion (reillymotorsports) stuff great guy and his stuff is fair in price. :thumbsup:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline autoxcuda

• Spring Fling
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008 - 07:04:27 PM »
I haven't been able to find much info on anyone else making a performance suspension for a challenger other than XV. Not that I don't like them, just looking around.

So, does anyone know of anybody other than them that makes high quality suspension kit(s) for our cars?

Right here:

www.firmfeel.com
Spring Fling XXX
April 22 & 23 2016

at Woodley Park Van Nuys, CA.
Special 30th Anniversary Event!
600+ Mopars, 300+ swappers,  50+ manf. midways.
Thrus: Mopar Track Day at Willow Springs Raceway
Fri: Caravan & Cruise
Sat: Mopar Cruise-In

Offline 72bluNblu

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008 - 07:32:18 PM »
Another one here...

Tubular K member with stock locations...http://www.capautoproducts.com/Home_Page.html

Offline gkring

« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008 - 08:47:22 PM »
Also www.ridetech.com (Air ride Technologies)
What are you looking for? Cost, looks, adjustability, street, autocross, both?
Cheapest are torsion bar based setups either through XV, firm feel, etc. They can be setup to handle very very well and wheels/tires make up a big part of that. Magnum force and reilly alterk both go to coil overs for a little more exhaust room and a rack n pinion. Air ride can be made to handle very well as well, the alterk has an air ride option. For a well thought out stock based suspension I would look at the XV level 1. For more money and more bling go with an alterkation from reilly motorsports. For maximum bling but maximum expenditure the XV level II gets the nod. If you want to slam your car then some variation of the air ride setup would be in order.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2008 - 09:53:23 AM »
There also are Control Freaks coil over set ups. http://www.hotrodsusa.com/store/cf.html

How much do you want to spend, what are your goals? A significant improvement can be made for reasonable coin with improved stock style parts and a modern alignment. If racing, rule limitations make dictate one system over another.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008 - 08:42:23 PM by HP2 »

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2008 - 01:11:59 PM »
Control Freaks is a ripoff of Alter-K-tion, They ordered up one frame when they did the Mr. Norm GSS, then they sudenly had this on the market...
Member of The Rapid Transit System

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2008 - 05:05:53 PM »
Control Freaks is a ripoff of Alter-K-tion, They ordered up one frame when they did the Mr. Norm GSS, then they sudenly had this on the market...

:iagree: :villagers: :swear:
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline HP2

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2008 - 08:04:48 PM »
...except Control Freaks is made from round tube instead of square tube, is about $1000 cheaper for a comparably equiped unit with power rack, big sway bar, handling springs, 13" brakes with multi-piston calipers, and uses a 9" shock instead of a 7".

There are only four points you can mount a K frame. There are only two places you can mount a rack to maintain ackerman and minimize bump steer. There are only two widely available spindles with a multitude of brake systems readily available to them. There is only round or square tubing available for construction. There is only one place you can mount a coil over and not use the stock shock tower. While similar, the constraints of mounting and construction dictate that any after market system will be appear to be similar.

Control Freaks also make units a variety of tubular suspension systems for GM vehicles and have similarly styled bolt in IRS set ups, also for GM, unfortunatly. I don't know that I would say they are a rip off of Alterkation based on the above constraints.

But hey, I'm just providing input to the original post. I could care less who you buy from or what you buy.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2008 - 08:43:41 PM by HP2 »

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008 - 04:25:06 AM »
  Usually you get what you pay for, if high performance is what you are after then you have to go with the company who spends the big bucks in developing their product. If it is only a better ride for cruising then modifying the standard system will give good value for dollars.   :2cents:
Dave

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2008 - 06:57:25 AM »
I heard it on the Alter-K-tion web board.
http://www.reillymotorsports.com/forum/index.php?topic=53.0

But HP2, I do agree with you, making a bolt-in unit, they do have to have some similarities.  :iagree:

340, If your interessed, read trough this, the XV Level II - Alter-K-tion - Magnumforce debate is discussed here, all tree manufactures comment in it as well, good stuff

http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/showflat.php?Cat=0&Board=QuestionAnswer&Number=3922429&fpart=&PHPSESSID=

Offline go-fish

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2008 - 09:53:22 AM »
I have Alter-K. Still haven't driven it. Going on what.... 3 years with it on the car. War is hell! 

Offline Volvolution

• mmmm.... fried rice....
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008 - 01:58:17 AM »
oh wow!.... thanks guys.... sorry I don't visit here as much as I used to. I just kinda stop in once in a while nowadays. And I don't post anything very much anymore [hence I'm still a "newbie"]. Its hard to talk about yer car or the cars themselves when yer never around it and still getting to know them. Anywho, I've recently decided to make my car into a autocross/road corse type handling car. I've always liked corners, just never had a car for it. And I just can't bring myself to driving a 4 banger er a 6. Or a rotary. Plus I have tons of friends with STis and EVOs and I'm sick of em all and wanna take em on head to head [yea I know... I'm asking alot... :)] and prove to them that muscle cars can go 'round corners if ya want em to. And esp. the ol' E-bods! I was originally thinking about the XV stage II but I really don't wanna hack it up just to put coil-overs in the back. my car's hacked up enough as it is. Its gonna take me the rest of my life to clean up!! Results of a cheap, pretty restoration and somebody getting ripped off into buying it  :stomp: Anyway, so I've recently been looking into getting the XV stage I, but I kinda like the sound of just upgrading whats already there. Bigger torsion bars up front, better shocks & sway bars etc... which is what the stage 1 is anyway. But, any suggestions with that, please... fire away. I know a few of yall have alot of racing experience, some even in these cars, so, ya know.

And I'm looking at the higher end stuff I guess. 1 since suspension related stuff is dern expensive anyhow and 2 because I don't want this crap breaking on me in the middle of a hairpin  :scared: Ok, I'm exaggerating. But I do want quality. As said, you get what you pay for.
oh....... too many cars. not enuff money... not enough time....

{oo/======\oo}

Offline jvike

• Pro-Touring Cuda
« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008 - 05:29:50 AM »
If you want to follow the EVO's and STIs I think you'll need the Lvl 2, but the Level 1 is also a great suspension system. If you go Level 1 just put on some high performance tires, 17" or 18", upgrade the brakes with Wilwood/Baer/other, and put in a Firmfeel Stage III box. I have a Stage II, great for street and cruising, but I wish I went with the Stage III when I'm on the roadrace course..
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 - 11:23:37 AM by jvike »