Author Topic: No SHAKER for Shelbydogg  (Read 2346 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
No SHAKER for Shelbydogg
« on: April 11, 2008 - 04:15:41 PM »
So I've got my friends car for the week to do some minor things like installing a 6 roller pressure plate, Quartz clock conversion and steering column repair.  I've noticed one thing:  I will never ever want to own a shaker hood-scooped car. I might buy an AAR-Fiberglass hood, where the shaker is bonded to the hood and looks like a real shaker.   What happens if you have a carb fire and have to blow it out?   By the time you get a ratchet out and take off the 7 bolts on the scoop off, then 2 wing nuts on the air cleanr off, your carb already melted down like Chernobl. 

I like the Challenger Rallye hood the best now.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Re: No SHAKER for Shelbydogg
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2008 - 04:25:10 PM »
Someone reccomended to me to replace the 7 bolts with studs and only have like four of them secured with wing nuts so that in case of a fire you have a better chance of getting the shaker off.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008 - 04:31:24 PM »
 :smilielol:   Before fuel injection was well known , All we had was carbs. And I think about 95% or more made it through without melt down. When it's all tuned up and wired right, your car will be just like the rest running around. I do see your worries tho. There was a post sometime back about shakers when the repop hoods were being made and everyone wanted one for the cool factor. I had mentioned back then they are hampering when you need to get to things. They do look good tho. And an AAR/ta hood would be my first choice too. I like the looks of an aar hood more then a shaker

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008 - 04:44:50 PM »
Al,
I have a T/A fiberglass Challenger hood too and also like the AAR stock fiberglass hood, But I was talking about the AAR-FIBERGLASS companie's fiberglass hood with a shaker scoop bonded to the bottom of a shaker-hole type flat fiberglass hood.  My friend purchased one and I like the looks of it.   I would be able to put a "tuned-port" style fuel injection setup on the engine and still have the looks of a shaker, but without the shake.

From AAR Fiberglass' website
#1102LOH Cuda Shaker hood with bubble attached (Fits 1970-74) Lift Off $549.00
#1102BOH Cuda Shaker hood with bubble attached (Fits 1970-74) Bolt on $659.00

Rob
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline The Cuda Guy

• Support Our Troops
  • Resident
  • Pearl Harbor, HI
    • C-C.com
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2008 - 04:56:26 PM »
Come on guys, you got to go all natural!  Well or repo LOL!!!  But for Challengers it's got to be a T/A hood those things are sweet!!!  Now if were talking numbers matching yada yada then keep it true to the car but if your going for cool on a Chally its got to be T/A or Shaker!   :2cents:

Cuda Guy
The Cuda Guy Project is on going!

Member Since January 14, 2002

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:08:37 PM »
Come on guys, you got to go all natural!  Well or repo LOL!!!  But for Challengers it's got to be a T/A hood those things are sweet!!!  Now if were talking numbers matching yada yada then keep it true to the car but if your going for cool on a Chally its got to be T/A or Shaker!   :2cents:

Cuda Guy
I like your thinking. T/A hoods on Challengers are sweet.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:09:46 PM »
I like your thinking. T/A hoods on Challengers are sweet.

I'd like to see a pic of the bolt on hood rob is talking about

Offline RabidScott

• Work in Progress
    • waywardgarage.com
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:21:46 PM »
Funny, Last night I was thinking about doing studs and wingnuts to make taking it off easier as well.

I'd never had a Shaker before, and have noticed that it is a little extra time consuming when doing things to the carb.  Never thought about it before doing the conversion.

1970 Dodge Challenger
13.9 @ 101 with stock internally 440, OD 4 speed, 3.23 LSD

WaywardGarage.com

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:39:20 PM »
I never thought about it before either.  I even thought that I might have a shaker someday.  I've had a 6-pack setup under my rallye hood before.  But think about it;  most of the time, when you pop your hood on the side of the road, the first thing you do is take the air cleaner off. 

I don't have a picture of the AAR hood, but I'll dig one up.
Rob

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2008 - 05:39:59 PM »
I installed one on my 70 440 6 pack cuda first of the year and until I had the engine all ready I just left it off. I even drove the car around without it for easy access. But since the initial drive the only time I have taken it off was once to lower the idle and that's it.

Offline arcticmopar

• Yukon Canada
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2008 - 07:32:28 PM »
 I have two fire extingishers in the car (one behind drivers seat and one in trunk) just incase of a carb fire or something under my shaker. It's also a home made job with a fiberglass lift off hood, but I do already have the wingnuts to fremove the bubble. I never planed on having a shaker...I figured I would end up with a base challenger and replace the flat hood with a T/A unit but I got lucky. :woohoo:
RUNS WHITH SISSORS!  and  DIGITALY CHALLENGED!

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2008 - 09:22:05 PM »

That's a good point Rob, I haven't even seen a Shaker car in person yet but will have one on Madeline, best 'Cuda hood IMO. I prefer the Challengers with the bulge, sexiest hood ever. I'm glad and happy I bit the bullet and went EFI with the 540 after reading this. I may still look at getting the shop to do some studs or something custom for ease of use and safety if the fire gremlins should dance on top of the engine. Shaker = extra hassle, bad ass looks. ;D
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

Offline gkring

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2008 - 09:29:45 PM »
The only time I had campfires going under the hood was when starting up new setups and getting the timing right. those times I always had the air cleaners off. if you have a finicky car that just backfires once in awhile then if you get a fire going just open the throttle and crank the motor over to suck the flames down, hopefully the car starts and problem solved. If you are sitting in the car I don't know how you would even know. Now nitrous backfires are a whole nother issue!
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline vinb

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2008 - 10:57:49 PM »
Come to think of it , back in the 70's when I ran my Super Stocker I just laid the shaker right down on the carb.
It did fit tight to the hood ,probably because of the taller intake and  big spacer.......
I'll see if I can find an old photo of the engine compartment in my archives...

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2008 - 02:08:00 AM »

I'd like to see a pic of the bolt on hood rob is talking about

:iagree:   :popcorn:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar