Author Topic: current pricing for 1970 'Cuda convertible hemi clone, pistol grip manual  (Read 7851 times)

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
The comments regarding how the car was equipped, 'Cuda vs. Barracuda, etc. are interesting.  To me, if it is not a numbers matching car with original motor and trans intact, then it doesn't matter if it was a slant 6 strippee or a loaded R/T.  The original stuff is gone forever, and now it is just whatever someone created, and competes in price on that basis.  If it is now a loaded hemi clone, w/ 4spd, than it is more desirable than a stripped 440 clone with automatic, but does not compare at all with original cars one way or another, regardless of what the shell was on the assembly line.  Agree, disagree?

Disagree,
If it's a real Cuda convertible with Hemi stuffed in it, it is far more valuable than a Barracuda convertible. It still has a high perf heritage and its original state is very desireable.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline gkring

I agree with the disagree.
An original hemi car with a slant six in it will be worth more than a slant six car with a hemi in it. The original options of the car will set the base value and what you do with it after that tweaks the value up or down.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline hemi71

• Resident
Disagree,
If it's a real Cuda convertible with Hemi stuffed in it, it is far more valuable than a Barracuda convertible. It still has a high perf heritage and its original state is very desireable.

:iagree:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
  If he is a friend he may let a price slip, chances he paid a lot less for it anyway. You could always talk to him and tell him what you have read here, a low of 45 and a high of 75 but with conditions at that higher price.
  You have also to work out what it is worth to you and how much you want to spend on it once purchasing it. Good luck.
Dave

Offline ls1hawk

Thanks everyone for this outstanding information. I'm going to go take a look at it on Saturday the 19th, I'll let you know what I find out, you armed me with a lot of good questions to ask. I'll get a picture of the fender tag and as many details as I can and figure out an offer.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2008 - 12:25:30 PM by ls1hawk »

Offline ElDoradoCuda

"Disagree,
If it's a real Cuda convertible with Hemi stuffed in it, it is far more valuable than a Barracuda convertible. It still has a high perf heritage and its original state is very desireable."

Good point, and I agree with that.  I guess I was thinking of all the ads I've seen over the years where someone was selling a back-halved gutted race car with a hot small block and stated that it originally was a 6-pack car and that sort of thing, and then asking an extremely high price for it.  If you really wanted an original 6-pack car you'd be paying for the guys mods, and then paying again to restore what is essentially an orignal shell that needs major body work.  But again, yes, I definitely agree that a real Hemi car with another Hemi in it is worth far more than a lesser car with a Hemi.

Offline ls1hawk

Ok, I snoozed, thought it would be ok to wait until saturday, but nooooo, some guy comes along and pays cash today for it.  I dont' know for sure, but 55k was mentioned as the selling price.  I did find out it was originally a barracuda 6 banger, no fender plate.

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
I go to at least 1 auction a month, Kruse, Mecum, Leake, ect. Yes i flip so people here hate me lol. But I sell 90% of everything to dealers. Don't believe for 1 sec the bids at auctions. Until the reserve is off they will bid them against the wall to "create" interest so they still have a chance to make a deal even after the car no-sales on the block.

I know on one of my cars, they had 1 guy bidding, kept working him against the wall till he got to my reserve and sold him the car. Car sold for over 140K and he was bidding alone after 110K and didn't even know it.

The auction house is there to sell cars. If they don't they make no commission, the seller quits bringing cars and if that happens then buyers quit coming, big circle but necessary.
Ghost bidding is illegal in every state. I used to attend auctions weekly. If I see it, I will report it. It's not only that it's against the law, but underhanded, unfair and wrong. :swear: It can cost jail time and forfeiture of an auctioneer license. I've seen it happen more than once. Randy's auction house in Norfolk VA lost his license for over a year for a ghost bidder. Strick's auction was a little smarter,  He (Mr. Strick) saw a man bidding on his own mechandise, stopped the auction and refused to sell any of his mechandise & ended the auction right there on the spot. Buyer beware. Report it if you see it!!!

Matt B.
Matt

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Not that I'll ever be able to afford cars in this stratified range, but  :iagree: completely.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline 70challrtse

Ghost bidding is illegal in every state. I used to attend auctions weekly. If I see it, I will report it. It's not only that it's against the law, but underhanded, unfair and wrong. :swear: It can cost jail time and forfeiture of an auctioneer license. I've seen it happen more than once. Randy's auction house in Norfolk VA lost his license for over a year for a ghost bidder. Strick's auction was a little smarter,  He (Mr. Strick) saw a man bidding on his own mechandise, stopped the auction and refused to sell any of his mechandise & ended the auction right there on the spot. Buyer beware. Report it if you see it!!!

Matt B.
Yep, and I was surprised no one else picked up on that post.