Author Topic: current pricing for 1970 'Cuda convertible hemi clone, pistol grip manual  (Read 7849 times)

Offline ls1hawk

An aquaintance of mine who has a purple 70 cuda vert hemi clone, with a manual tranny, told me he is ready to unload it. he bought it a few years ago, didn't tell me the price he paid.  It runs, it is not rusty, and it is in average condition.  It needs some work, he said someone needs to give it some love and dial in the dual quads and get it running right.   Anyway,  what do you all think, I want to make him an offer, but I don't want to offend him.  Where should I start with pricing?   

« Last Edit: April 14, 2008 - 06:42:24 PM by ls1hawk »

Offline Goehner

• 392 IE
I track on a spreadsheet all the e bodies that are for sale on e-bay. Not sure it matters, but still info. Only one cuda conv has sold since Jan 18th of 2008, it went for $89,000. Only 1 of 43 conv cudas sold, this was a clone but I rated it a 10, and that is only 2 that rated a 10 out of about 400 cars. Not sure what it is worth, but my eyes covered blind guess depending on the perfectness of the car is about $40,000. Unless the car had a complete rotis perfect restoration, it is not worth more than $50K right now. Good luck and have fun!
392 Edition on order
08 Mega Cab 3500 SRW 6.7 CTD, 2" Leveling kit, 33" Mickey Thompson MTZ
05 Durango Limited, Yea, it's got a HEMI!!

Offline HemiOrange70

• Resident
What was the car originally? 318? 340? Does it have all the goodies? Rallyu dash etc. I would guess if an original 383 car with ralley dash 65k would be about right depending on what it needs, if it needs more than a tune up 50 would be about the ball park to start

Offline 808cuda

• RARE Fish!
about $40,000. Unless the car had a complete rotis perfect restoration, it is not worth more than $50K right now. Good luck and have fun!

I know Mopar prices are down, but not that low.

You have to do the math.
ANY HEMI engine: approx $15k
Minus your projected $40k to $50k means your only paying $25k or $35k for the car...not happening unless he is REAL GOOD friend of yours.

You'd be hard pressed to find a decent restorable Cuda/Barracuda convertible for that price, now finding one that needs a little love/cleaning.

If it's as nice as the pic makes it to look, a great deal from your frined would be $65k, current market price closer to $80k.

Good luck and let us know  :ylsuper:
1970 N96 Cuda 340 4speed (now Keisler 5 speed)

Offline wiiildcat

Depends on what your doing with it. If you want to flip it I wouldn't be in it over 45-50k. If your wanting to be the end user then maybe 55-60K.

Allot depends on what the car was, Barracuda or Cuda, Small blk or big blk. People will try to tell you they are worth this or that, but right now, today, NONE that are selling are selling for more. People still ask lots more but they still own the car and will continue to own them unless the market takes off again.

I go to at least 1 auction a month, Kruse, Mecum, Leake, ect. Yes i flip so people here hate me lol. But I sell 90% of everything to dealers. Don't believe for 1 sec the bids at auctions. Until the reserve is off they will bid them against the wall to "create" interest so they still have a chance to make a deal even after the car no-sales on the block.

I know on one of my cars, they had 1 guy bidding, kept working him against the wall till he got to my reserve and sold him the car. Car sold for over 140K and he was bidding alone after 110K and didn't even know it.

The auction house is there to sell cars. If they don't they make no commission, the seller quits bringing cars and if that happens then buyers quit coming, big circle but necessary.

Offline 70challrtse

I know on one of my cars, they had 1 guy bidding, kept working him against the wall till he got to my reserve and sold him the car. Car sold for over 140K and he was bidding alone after 110K and didn't even know it. [/quote]

That's not right on any level. To participate, directly or in directly, in that type of behavior is indefensible. :nono:

Offline js27

• MOPAR OR NO CAR
I have to say buy looking at the pic's and where the market is now that $50,000.00 is very reasonable. The main thing you need to remember is that these car just are not selling now unless they are a very special car or a real bargin.
It seems to me that clones are not hot now by any means. It also depends on how bad your friend wants to sell it and how much he paid for it. I am sure if he is into it heavy $ 100,000 + he is not going to be very willing to let it go at todays market price so he will be stuck with it.
Just my 2 cents.
JS27
1967 GTX
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T Conv.

Offline matt63

I don't think you could get a 318 vert for $50 so I would say at least $65 depending on condition.  He might want to clean up the engine bay to get top $$$
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline JS27N0B

• Resident
  • Member since Jan 28th 2003.
Hopefully you can get his honest asking price from him and go from there as well. Everybody knows what they would like to get out of their car. I think he is fishing to see if you will offer him more than his selling price.
1970 Challenger R/T Convertible 383/auto 1 of 516 *now sold after owning for 18yrs
2007 Chrysler Aspen Limited AWD
2013 Tige' RZR 343hp
2016 PCP Challenger SRT Hellcat

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
I have to say that 50k even in this market is really low. I am selling a 70 cuda clone with a 440 6 pack shaker hood and a 4 speed and have been offered 45k for it. So in this market a convertible with a hemi is worth over 75k.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline wiiildcat

I know on one of my cars, they had 1 guy bidding, kept working him against the wall till he got to my reserve and sold him the car. Car sold for over 140K and he was bidding alone after 110K and didn't even know it.

That's not right on any level. To participate, directly or in directly, in that type of behavior is indefensible. :nono:

Dont buy or sell at auction, sorry but thats the way it's done on a reserve auction, the auction company wants the car sold, bottom line. The most important rule of buying at a reserve auction is
NEVER bid on a car untill reserve is off, only way to know if your bidding against real money.

Offline matt63

Hopefully you can get his honest asking price from him and go from there as well. Everybody knows what they would like to get out of their car. I think he is fishing to see if you will offer him more than his selling price.
That's true.  I think it should be another negotiating rule...never start negotiations without the seller throwing out an asking price first.  There are a couple of reasons for that.  They might just be asking a lot less than you are willing to pay or their price might be so high you wouldn't bother wasting your time.  I know this guy who has had a car for sale for over 3 months.  It's $64K and priced about 20% over market value.  There is a ton of them for sale.  When I mentioned to him that his car was overpriced he said he was open to offers.  I really doubt very many sellers are prepared to come down that significantly and not too many buyers are prepared to low ball somebody.
Matt in Edmonton

'68 Valiant
'73 Cuda 340 4 speed (408) SOLD

Offline 4Cruizn

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Expert
  • HEMI FISH
I'm going to say $75-80K.  Prices are still dropping though . .  :dunno:

Offline triple_green

If the paint is good, a crate hemi and originally a 318 car-  $70-75K. More if it is a period correct hemi and a higher line car originally.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008 - 05:49:26 PM by triple_green »
1968 Charger triple green 383 HP all orignal restoration numbers match

Offline ElDoradoCuda

The comments regarding how the car was equipped, 'Cuda vs. Barracuda, etc. are interesting.  To me, if it is not a numbers matching car with original motor and trans intact, then it doesn't matter if it was a slant 6 strippee or a loaded R/T.  The original stuff is gone forever, and now it is just whatever someone created, and competes in price on that basis.  If it is now a loaded hemi clone, w/ 4spd, than it is more desirable than a stripped 440 clone with automatic, but does not compare at all with original cars one way or another, regardless of what the shell was on the assembly line.  Agree, disagree?