Author Topic: Woodstock and the Challenger....  (Read 3397 times)

Offline DAYTONA

Woodstock and the Challenger....
« on: April 13, 2008 - 11:06:00 AM »
...being somewhat old, and a fan of rock and roll, I just realized while watching a rock documentary on TV the Challenger is older than Woodstock...my HEMI Challenger RT/SE had a build date of 8 01 69, a good 2 weeks before Woodstock....it was built in the day of Hippies and tie-dye t-shirts....Hendrix, Jim Morrison and Janis Joplin were still alive and still recording their music....the US had just put a man on the moon a few weeks before my Challenger was built, man does that ever seem like a long time ago...the US was in a space race, the Muscle Car Wars were in full swing, and horsepower was increasing with every new model..... Super Stock and Drag Illustrated was my favorite magazine, full of articles about the new offerings from Detroit(still have all my old mags)....I had long hair (still do, but it's thiner and kinda gray) as did all my buddys, wore beads occasionally, cut-off jeans and sandals and made my own tie-dye t-shirts....the Viet Nam war was still in full swing and I was waiting to enlist because I had a very low draft number....Uncle Sam was looking for "a few good men" and with a number of 10 in the draft lottery I knew I was gone...the Beatles were still together, gasoline was about 30 cents a gallon and "Tricky Nixon" was President of the United States

...nearly 40 years later, man has yet to return to the Moon... Woodstock has been redone, but will never be repeated, the New York thru way has never been closed again for a rock festival.....Hendrix, Morrison and Joplin are legends and I still listen to much of the same music I did in 1969, some of the greatest music ever came from the late sixties....parked my love beads decades ago and Uncle sam gave me a new haircut and lotsa green clothes to wear for a few years.....now, I'm older, fatter, lazier, but I'm anxious to see a new Challenger parked in my driveway, anxious to load in some Doors and Hendrix...anxious to cruise the local hot spots and car shows this summer....kinda like the summer of '69 all over again, without the beads.............doubt I'll be around in another 40 years, but I know there will still be 1970 Challengers stored away for the next generations to see, drive and collect, and many many 08 Challengers with a very few miles on the odometer stored away too.....I wonder if they will still be listening to "Riders On The Storm" or "The Wind Cries Mary".....will Janis still love Bobby Magee.........

1970 HEMI Challenger RT/SE....build date, 08-01-69
« Last Edit: April 13, 2008 - 11:08:24 AM by DAYTONA »

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Woodstock and the Challenger....
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2008 - 11:16:25 AM »
Hey Daytona,

:wow: Thanks for sharing that story buddy.  Everything has changed since then but the music and cars from that era are still the best today.  I am a little younger but appreciate what was and what is, looks like you may have two new Challengers in mind when you make the purchase perhaps  :bananasmi
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Rare_T_A

• Resident
    • Freiss Family Mopar Site
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2008 - 02:36:45 PM »
WOW what a flashback!!!!!!!!!!!! I couldn't agree more.
'09 Challenger R/T  5.7 HEMI Auto
'70Challenger T/A 340 727

Fargo, N. Dak.
My web Site:  http://freiss.co.nr

My Flikr Page: http://www.flickr.com/photos/102813164@N04/

I was born with nothing and I still have most of it left!

Offline R/T

• Johnson City TN
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2008 - 02:37:08 PM »
.....I wonder if they will still be listening to "Riders On The Storm" or "The Wind Cries Mary".....will Janis still love Bobby Magee.........

I have to say yeah as long as I can still turn the stereo on. :grinyes:
"Freedoms just another word for nothing left to lose"
1973 Challenger (OO/=====\OO)  440 
Hemis and Harleys
2008 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition  5.7 Hemi

Offline N96cuda

• Kirks Cars
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2008 - 03:17:11 PM »
Thanks Daytona, the best thread that I have read in a while. I was 9 years old in August of '69. Had a prosthetic eye installed a couple years before and was within a few months of being sent to Boston to actually save my other eye. All the while I was enjoying life, had a new horse, a new Schwinn, building model cars, reading car magazines and had quite a few redline Hotwheels (which I still have).

And I still enjoy..... :thumbsup:

70 Cuda 440-6 Shaker, Auto, Vitamin C, stripe delete, black int. & vinyl top, luggage rack, Magnums, build sheet
71 Cuda conv. 383 4-speed, Rallye red, black top, int. and billboards, 2 complete build sheets
09 B5 blue Challenger SRT-8
www.93cobra.itgo.com

Offline 71bigblock

• Sr. Resident
    • Steve's Mopars
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2008 - 03:52:37 PM »
He's just teasing us with the outtro to his new book.   :grinyes: :lol:

Thanks for painting a picture of what it was like.   :2thumbs:

Offline DAYTONA

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2008 - 04:53:13 PM »
He's just teasing us with the outtro to his new book.   :grinyes: :lol:

Thanks for painting a picture of what it was like.   :2thumbs:

...not much market for a 2 page book (the exciting stories of my life) :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley: :roflsmiley:

...but it does seem like yesterday

Offline VTMopar

• '70 Challenger Convertible, '74 Challenger Rallye,
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2008 - 06:45:16 PM »
As we said back then, Daytona -- "Right on Man!"     

Similar story... only my draft # was 26!   Thanks for the memories (most of them very good cause we found ways to "forget" the bad ones...    :thumbsup:

Vermont MOPAR

VT MOPAR

Offline babyelephant

• Ol' Kozmic Blues again Mama
    • WPC Club of Norway
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2008 - 06:57:52 PM »
Would have loved to experienced those days. I was born 25ish years to late to be there, I dream of the sixties era and Janis always rides along with me while cruising.
JH23J0B
88 BMW 635 CSiA
87 Trans Am GTA
x RH23G8E

Offline BIGSHCLUNK

• Sr. Resident
  • Miss NIKKI - were you this hot at 48?
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2008 - 07:05:52 PM »
I remember those daze.......................

at least I think I do...  :bigsmile:

:smilielol:  :smilielol:  :smilielol:
70 Chally R/T Convertible- Yes she's really got a HEMI, no she's not a Charger!
                                             [o o o o]
                                                  OO
                                                  OO 
                                              [o o o o]
https://www.aanddtruckautoparts.com/
http://www.facebook.com/pages/A-D-Truck-and-Auto-Parts/67427352555?ref=hl

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2008 - 07:19:11 PM »
Cool little flashback story, Daytona.  Oh, and the second photo you posted is great.  The Doors have some good tunes, even if they were way before my time. :2thumbs:
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2008 - 12:52:02 AM »
Daytona,

In '69 I was 15 and I remember all those things.  When I turned 18 my draft number was 13 in 1972 and I was going to nam, but the "trickster" started to bring our troops home, so I was never drafted. 

Woodstock and the music created there was like no other.  CCR, Country Joe and the Fish, CSN&Y, Canned Heat.  Man, what a flashback.  Long hair, sideburns, incense, black lights, posters, Boones Farm Apple wine. 

Every time I drive my Cuda I'm 18 all over again.  Thanks for the trip back to the good old days.  :clapping:
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline hooD

• detroit iron
  • Resident
  • Motor City Made Muscle
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2008 - 12:58:06 AM »
Thanks Daytona, the best thread that I have read in a while. I was 9 years old in August of '69. Had a prosthetic eye installed a couple years before and was within a few months of being sent to Boston to actually save my other eye. All the while I was enjoying life, had a new horse, a new Schwinn, building model cars, reading car magazines and had quite a few redline Hotwheels (which I still have).

And I still enjoy..... :thumbsup:

Doors are always better with door knobs.
-Larry
member since AUG 2007
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvrWiLgDm7Y

southeastern michigan usa

1973 'CUDA 340

original owner
37,117 miles

:grinyes: *click my E-Body* :grinyes:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2008 - 06:59:29 AM »
Here is hoping that first ride in the new Challenger will be both a trip down memory lane and exciting,  new experience  :burnout:
P.S. I am not a huge Doors fan but after looking at that picture I sure could learn to be  :bigsmile:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2008 - 07:05:51 AM »
  I was 19 in '69. Some say if you remember the '60's you didn't live it, but I say I'm glad I remember the '60's it was an exciting time, open speed limits, big horse power cars, great looking chicks, almost heaven.   :jumping:   :crazy:   :cooldancing:   :bigsmile:
Dave