Author Topic: Kool April Nites  (Read 3185 times)

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
Kool April Nites
« on: April 15, 2008 - 10:39:52 AM »
I know its a little late notice, but this weekend is the 19th annual Kool April Nites show in Redding California. I am heading up early Thursday (leaving Sunnyvale a 4 am) because they have shows all over the town the week leading up to the event. It is a lot of fun and I have been to every one of them. Friday night there is a huge cruise where they shut down several city streets, there are drag races with vintage drag cars. I will be showing both my 70 cuda and my 72 Challenger. Even though this is mostly hot rods there are usually a decent number of Mopars at the show every year. I know there will be lots of  :burnout: and hopefully none of  :working:
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline LAA66

Re: Kool April Nites
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008 - 12:39:06 PM »
 I was passing through the Redding area Friday on I5 and noticed a nice yellow Challenger parked in front of a shop in Mountain View. Anyone you know?

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008 - 12:40:17 PM »
No I don't know any yellow Challengers up there. I will have to investigate.

Offline RaptorF229

• A work in Progress
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008 - 06:10:32 PM »
I control all the airplanes going in and out of the Redding area.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008 - 09:52:26 PM »
Really? That's cool. You can send extra car people this weekend (like the city's not going to be packed anyways).

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2008 - 11:48:15 AM »
I'm back from Kool April Nites and what an event. Lots of shows around town Thursday and Friday and then the main event Saturday with more than 2000 cars. The weather was great on thursday and friday (mid 80's and sunny) Saturday it was sunny but cold and windy. I had a great time and the cuda acted like a bug zapper everywhere I went people just swarmed to it. Unfortunately Friday night during the cruise the Challenger had a bit of a problem. The transmission decided that it was tired of being full of ATF and decided to send it all to the ground via leaving the front of the transmission. Not sure what broke, but I am going to use it as my excuse for finally tearing the car down and completely going through it again and installing a 6.1 hemi and automatic overdrive. I took a lot of pictures and there were a lot of nice Mopar's at the show. Unfortunately I ran out of time this weekend to download them on my stick so since they are on my parents computer I have to wait to get them until I go up in 2 weeks. I was sooo busy going to different events this weekend I found very little time too sleep especially Friday night (only got 3 hours of sleep that night). So I am going to catch up on my sleep hopefully during the course of this week.

Offline Justins72

« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2008 - 02:08:13 PM »
I thought that was your car when i saw the the tranny fluid coming out the bottom when you pulled over. I decided to sit the parade out and just relax to watch the cars drive by. What cuda at the show was yours? All i can remember off the top of my head is a purple 340 and a pink one. Where was it parked? I had the Purple 72 that was parked on the grass by the tent. In between the chevelle and the blue camaro. That red 70 hemi challenger convert was amazing, no wonder it won. Been going to kool april nights for years and this was my first time actually being in the show. Weather was great, lots of fun and will definitely be back next year.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2008 - 02:23:59 PM »
My 'cuda was parked near the humane society trailer a few rows down from the mega tent. It is sublime green with a shaker hood, 440 6 pack and 4 speed. Saw your cuda, looks good. That convertible was nice. I saw it a few weeks earlier at the Good Guys show in Pleasanton. Next year I am going to try and get my 70 A66 Challenger together enough to take to the show. It is way to early in the year to know for sure though. We went back afterwards and the trail of tranny fluid goes from Cool Hand Luke's restaurant near Dairy Queen all the way the the Grocery Outlet parking lot next to the Post Office. Oh well I guess things happen for a reason. Now I just have to find the money to complete my plans and at least there is a lot of work i can do to the car with little or no money.

Also on a side note, do you live in Redding? If so you should join the Classic American Muscle car club. I am a member (even though I now live in Sunnyvale) my parents and brother are members and the group has a lot of great members with a variety of cars including a decent amount of Mopars. The club meets at Upper Crust Pizza on Churn Creek the 2nd Wednesday night of the month at 6 pm.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 - 02:26:30 PM by 72hemi »

Offline Justins72

« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2008 - 03:02:28 PM »
No cuda for me, its a 72 challenger. I live in San Jose but my grandparents live in redding which is why i go almost every year. I should let my grandfather know about the club since he has a 69 charger R/T.

Offline NoMope Greg

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2008 - 03:08:37 PM »
You guys knew this was coming:

:useless:
Greg
2003 Ford Escape XLS
Currently Mopar-less :(

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2008 - 03:15:30 PM »
I know it was coming but I can't get my photos for 2 more weeks. Then lots of photos. Since you are in San Jose are you a member of Mopar Alley?
« Last Edit: April 21, 2008 - 03:44:31 PM by 72hemi »

Offline tb3cuda

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2008 - 12:58:32 AM »
I saw your 70 Cuda for sale at the show and it looks awesome!  I have looked at lots of pics of it on this site as you built it up and ebay but in person it's just stunning.   What kind of steering wheel is that?  There definately were some neat cars.  Did you see that nasty sounding black 70 challenger in the cruise?  The purple 72 looked good too.   I'm thinking of bringing my 73 cuda next year,  maybe we could all line them up together with a little planning.   I'd really like to get my 71 slant six going for next year but that is a long shot. 

Offline Justins72

« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2008 - 02:04:48 AM »
the black 70 that was driving around with no hood? That thing sounded mean, it was running at the drag strip saturday night. Next year i will drive my car in the parade instead of just sitting it out to watch all the cars.I didnt take any pics of the show but i think my mom and dad did, i will try to get the camera to see whats on it. I know they took pics of my car though.

Offline Justins72

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2008 - 03:28:09 AM »
Here are a couple from the parade friday

Offline Justins72

« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2008 - 03:33:56 AM »
Couple more. The last two are 72hemi's challenger. Then one random one of mine on sunday.