Rare Wheels?

Author Topic: Rare Wheels?  (Read 5165 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Rare Wheels?
« on: April 16, 2008 - 10:10:59 PM »
There's been a short discussion in another thread about wheels I saw on a Superbird this last weekend at Mopars at the Rock (pic attached). That discussion is here:

http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=43963.0

I've done a little more research. They are called Motor Wheel (manufacturer) Spyders (model). They were apparently available as original equipment on Yenko SCs and some Ford stuff, but so far I haven't seen any mention of them as available on Mopars. I will keep looking.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 - 10:20:04 PM by ChallengerHK »

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
Re: Rare Wheels?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:15:30 PM »
The Kelsey Hayes wheels were cast aluminum and slated to be released as optional wheels (coded as W23) on 1969 Chrysler Corporation vehicles. The wheels were recalled (see the recall notice - pages 1 and 2) very early in the model year on September 13, 1968, due to a design defect which caused the lug nuts to work loose, resulting in the centers pulling out.

Quite a few of the wheels actually made it into the hands of Mopar-buying customers, and obviously many of them were not returned during the recall by their owners.

The Kelsey Hayes Company also offered this same wheel later as an after market item, with the only difference being that the rim was chromed on the after markets. Is it possible that the after markets were the same wheels that were returned under the recall and then doctored to look a little different? We're not going to speculate on that!

In these photos, note the difference in the center caps. The wheel with the flat center was found on a 1969 Plymouth Road Runner. The wheel with the cone-shaped center was found on a 1969 Dodge Coronet.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:17:38 PM »
Hey, Jackie, thanks for the info. You're not saying that the pic I posted is a recall wheel are you?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:19:31 PM »
Here they are on a Buick GS; poster says they're original on that car.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:19:43 PM »
Farmboy has a set of those...at one time they were on the red Barracuda he restored last year & I do recall he had name for them......Where is farmboy these days?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2008 - 10:21:27 PM by bullitt99 »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:21:24 PM »
Hey, Jackie, thanks for the info. You're not saying that the pic I posted is a recall wheel are you?
I thought it might be. So I found pics of the recall wheels. I'm not sure about that one. :dunno:

Offline thedodgeboys

• Resident
  • ''Normal’s Overrated''
    • THE DODGE BOYS
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:21:30 PM »
Jackie, how did you learn so much about cars?  :2thumbs:
you are one cool LADY  :2thumbs:

challengerhk that picture is not the recall wheel.
Go Fast & Have Fun...
70 6.1 HEMI 6-speed Drop Top...

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:27:30 PM »
I thought it might be. So I found pics of the recall wheels. I'm not sure about that one. :dunno:

I thought they were at first too, and so did some folks in the other thread, but if you look at the shape of the openings it becomes obvious. The recall wheel openings are sort of a bent trapezoid, while the others are closer to ovals.

BTW, it is cool that you know so much about cars  :2thumbs:

Farmboy has a set of those...at one time they were on the red Barracuda he restored last year & I do recall he had name for them......Where is farmboy these days?

Do you know if they came on his car. I'm pretty sure that I'm right on the name (Motor Wheel Spyders); I'm just trying to find out if Mopar ever offered them. I had never seen them before Saturday, but the guy who owned the Superbird they were on swore they were OEM.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:37:09 PM »
Jackie, how did you learn so much about cars?  :2thumbs:
you are one cool LADY  :2thumbs:

challengerhk that picture is not the recall wheel.
I worked for a few race car drivers. A mopar garage and a body shop. ;)  My Dad was a Pontiac man  :eek4: LOL

• Resident
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:55:31 PM »
Maybe aftermarket :clueless:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2008 - 10:58:28 PM »
Maybe aftermarket :clueless:

Funny, those are the same tires he had.

I'm wondering of whoever ordered it wanted a set and the sales manager said "Sure, I'll send somebody out to get 'em for you." I don't know what the current thought on this is, but back in the 80s anything a car left the dealer lot with was generally called a factory option, even if it was dealer installed.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2008 - 11:02:49 PM »
 The ad is from 1972. If i can find anything else out. I'll let you know.  :cheers:
Motor Wheel Spyders were on top drag cars and muscle cars in the 1960s and 1970s. 

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2008 - 11:04:02 PM »
There was another model of the Kelsey-Hayes wheel that was released in Mexico that had a D shaped lug hole. It was supposed to be redesigned not to loosen. I think I read that in Mopar Action.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2008 - 11:06:48 PM »
My info says they quit selling to the public in 72, and after that they only supplied manufacturers. Since they were offered on Fords, it would be a pretty simple deal to put them on a Mopar, but that doesn't necessarily mean they rolled out of the factory with them. PPlus, I could swear I read somewhere that all Superbirds came with Rallyes and Rallyes only.

Motor Wheel was in Lansing, and I found an SEC report for 1996, but I can't tell if they're still in business.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2008 - 11:14:43 PM »
Apparently Motor Wheel merged with Hayes in 1996: http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m0EIN/is_1996_March_29/ai_18137757

...and at some point was a subsidiary of Goodyear, but I can't date this one:
http://www.jameslawkc.com/CM/FeaturedCases/Motor-Wheel-Corp.asp

...and they were originally located at:
MOTOR WHEEL CORPORATION
1600 N. Larch St.
Lansing, MI  48906-4157
USA

but the number is no longer good.

- Han Solo, Star Wars