New Classic car dealer in Madison WI

Author Topic: New Classic car dealer in Madison WI  (Read 5630 times)

Offline 73Magnum

• 73 Challenger 340
New Classic car dealer in Madison WI
« on: April 17, 2008 - 10:27:10 PM »
Just saw this in today's paper for Benchmark Classics in here in Madison WI.
Sounds like they opened in March sometime.
Here is a link to the site:  http://www.benchmarkclassics.com/
They have a bunch of Mopars for sale, including a 71 Cuda clone, and a V code Challenger.
Prices seem a tad high, but it may be worth checking out.
(Previous Mopars)
1964 Barracuda 360
1971 Challenger 340
(Current Mopars)
1973 Challenger 340

Alaskan_TA

Re: New Classic car dealer in Madison WI
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2008 - 10:38:29 PM »
I wonder if they HAD to move.....

The V-Code Chally;

http://www.justjag.com/BenchMarkClassics/CarDetails.asp?c=BenchMarkClassics&VIN=JS29VOB193557

We have discussed this one here before, the engine and transmission are re-stamps.  :nono:

Alaskan_TA

« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2008 - 10:45:34 PM »
Exibits A & B for the court.....

Offline alphabuck

• Pics of my project
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 - 12:12:32 AM »
http://www.madison.com/wsj/home/biz/281932 WED., APR 16, 2008 - 8:57 PM
Car business Benchmark Classics is family passion

im not sure this guy is going to last long. selling restamped goods out of a building known for the swindling that went on inside. he doesnt appear to be too dialed into economic forces.

"People who have that much money tend to be what we call recession-proof," he said. "We're not nearly as sensitive to recession as many businesses would be."

link to what the last owner was up to http://dha.state.wi.us/home/Decisions/DOT/1995-1999/96-h-993.pdf

Offline Finoke

« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2008 - 06:38:49 AM »
THat car has been kicking around for years. Such a shame, cause its a really beautiful car.

Offline KZ

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2008 - 01:29:48 PM »
I was all excited when I saw this thread because my 70 440 RT/SE is stored in the Mad-City and I have been throwing around the idea of getting it fully restored. But from the sounds of a few replies, it doesn't sound that you folks are all the thrilled with that company. As far as re-stamping parts, that sounds at worst illegal and at best immoral. I admit I am a newbie on the stamping issue but if these folks have the original documentation of the parts they are restamping, as well as the original part that has the stamp already on it from the factory, why is it that they can't do this if they are just trying to prevent further erosion of the original stamp.

Offline The Bulldog #57

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2008 - 03:41:05 PM »
Looks like a tad high is an understatement. I will have to check it out when I get back home to Green Bay, maybe a road trip this summer.

Offline Benchmark Classics

« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2008 - 12:57:38 PM »
My name is Justin Cole, I am one of the owners of Benchmark Classics, was just informed of this thread, read it, and I'm quite confused for several reasons. 

1.  We are a NEW dealership and have never been located anywhere else so I am clueless as to why you guys think we "had to move".

2.  If you read our write up on the Challenger you speak of NOWHERE does it say the car is numbers matching.

3.  We are not associated with the owner of the previous business that was here more than 8 years ago in any way shape or form so posting a link to stuff written about him and all of the stuff he is involved in has no relevance to us and what we do. 

4.  If you take a minute to check our sold section out we have been doing just fine so your negative predictions about our performance were wrong. 

5.  We are all very experienced in business and are not out to take advantage of anyone or be involved in bad business.

Guys, the last thing we need is people making assumptions about us, who we are, and what we do.  We want people like you to feel comfortable coming in, meeting us, and doing business with us.  So come on in, meet us, and form your own opinion about us.   

Thanks.

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2008 - 02:59:29 PM »
If you read our write up on the Challenger you speak of NOWHERE does it say the car is numbers matching.

There is an ocean of difference between non-numbers matching and re-stamped (re-stamping is illegal, no?).  Also, the car is priced at numbers-matching levels.

We are not associated with the owner of the previous business that was here more than 8 years ago in any way shape or form so posting a link to stuff written about him and all of the stuff he is involved in has no relevance to us and what we do.

The comment was about the wisdom of running a business similar to a business that was doing illegal activities in the same building.  Kind of a "guilt by association" perception.

We are all very experienced in business and are not out to take advantage of anyone or be involved in bad business.

See above comment about re-stamping.  Even if you didn't re-stamp it, the fact that it's been re-stamped (it's pretty obvious it has) should be disclosed in the ad.

MJS73
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2008 - 06:46:47 PM »
Justin,   :wave:

I got nothing negative to say against you...I dont even know you either. But I do have a couple of comments

I did notice that some of your cars do say numbers matching and some do not. But some do give the fender tag details as well.

Am I to assume that since you are a classic car dealer that you dont even bother to check numbers matching stuff?  If so why even tell about the other numbers matching stuff. Like 1 example is the hemi car.  If you did your home work there, why didnt you even bother on a high dollar 6pk car?

Maybe diffwerent people do your write up articles?  Did you know the numbers were stamped on this particular car? Everything now adays no matter what it is , is spoken in original numbers. BJ auctions to whatever. Chevy ford mopar , whatever type.

I'd like to believe some of your remarks you made, but you are a used car salesman and your home page shows knowledge and then you claim  :dunno:

So you believe a non numbers car is worth the numbers match price your asking? 

I'm all ears here and will read your reply with an open mind. I do see the sale of lots of chevies on your site. Chevy people are known and marked as the type to rebody cars. And I am not saying that you would know about this, but could be hidden from you as well.  Only you and your people really know the true stories about your cars.  You are a used car salesman. The reputation goes with your territory...ALAN

Offline JH27N0B

« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2008 - 01:30:05 AM »
I saw that V code Challenger go through the Mecum Belvidere auction in May 2007 and was surprised when it sold for only in the mid-70's IIRC.  Then I heard about it having the restamped numbers on the block and tranny and understood why it went so low.  Not long after the auction I saw it listed on ebay by some car broker in Woodstock IL with a buy it now not much higher than what I saw it sell for at Mecum.  I guess the broker found out about its dark side and just wanted to unload it and get his money back out of it?  Funny that now someone thinks its value has suddenly increased approximately 50% since last year? :screwy:
I honestly think that car is so tainted by its fraudulent drivetrain numbers that it would be worth more and regain some credibility if someone replaced the block and trans case  with some original VIN numbers factory stamped on them (I am of course talking about not numbers matching, from a junked car) and then put it on the market clearly stating "NOM". :2cents:

Offline Jacksboys

• Sr. Resident
  • Here Since 08/28/06 GEORGIA
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2008 - 03:14:16 AM »
I just had to add my  :2cents:

Justin,
You wrote:

2.  If you read our write up on the Challenger you speak of NOWHERE does it say the car is numbers matching.

And the website says:
"Only 5,873 sport coupes were produced and of those just a few of the R/TSE 440 Magnum Six-Pack cars still exist and this one is in pristine condition to boot."

This sure sounds like someone is saying it is a restored original.

As bad as this may sound, I am not trying to pick on you, just trying to state what I clearly see. 

I'm all ears here and will read your reply with an open mind. I do see the sale of lots of chevies on your site. Chevy people are known and marked as the type to rebody cars. And I am not saying that you would know about this, but could be hidden from you as well.  Only you and your people really know the true stories about your cars.  You are a used car salesman. The reputation goes with your territory...ALAN
:iagree:
1971 Dodge Challenger:  360/904/3.23

Success is the maximum utilization of the ability that you have. - Zig Ziglar

Offline burnt orange

« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2008 - 10:36:37 AM »
Justin, welcome to the site. It is a bit of a shocking introduction for you, isn't it? 

In any case, you are on the best Mopar site on the net.  The guys on here are true experts and know what they are talking about. 

If you are up front with them they are your best friends.  Try to be deceptive though, they will crucify you mercilessly!  They are, however also very willing to admit mistakes and expect others to do the same.  I am not saying they will forgive easily, just that they appreciate honesty. 

If your business is truely above board and honest, stick around and take their advice.   :bigsmile:

If you are a scammer practicing deceptive business activities...well, you have been found out!  :villagers:
< ° ) ) >< 

Offline Benchmark Classics

« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2008 - 02:28:52 PM »
Guys,

As soon as I read your posts I dove into researching the claims you were making about the Challenger.  We did not claim the numbers were matching in our write up but we did price it as though they were.  We purchased the car with the understanding that it was a correct numbers matching car from a very reputable guy.  After speaking with Galen Govier about the car we learned that he has inspected it and you guys are correct.   :ylsuper:  The individual we purchased the car from has bought it back from us and it is no longer in our inventory.  I can understand how it looked bad to you guys who knew the car better than us when it showed up in our inventory priced as a numbers matching car.  We had no reason to suspect that this Challenger was not an original drive train car because we have purchased many other cars from the seller that were correct.  The fact that he immediately bought the car back from us as soon as he heard that it is what it is says a lot about him.  Hopefully you guys can understand how I felt after reading your initial posts.

Hopefully you guy's opinions of us will improve as a result of the action we took when we heard suspicion existed about one of our vehicles.

As for the used car salesman statements, I am a used car salesman but our used cars on average are far more expensive than most new cars.  In addition, Benchmark Classics is my third successful business to start and run....I am not your average used car salesman.  :thumbsup:

I would really enjoy meeting you guys and would love for you to come by and check our showrooms out. 

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #14 on: June 20, 2008 - 02:40:28 PM »
It sounds like you are a stand up guy and I'm glad things came clear on the Challenger. Welcome aboard and I wish your place was closer to me (I'm in California), because I would come and see your place. I do have to say though especially in this economy your prices on your cars do seem high, but most dealerships like yours I have been to in the past have been that way.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe