Author Topic: Anyone Installed Billet Specialties Serpentine Pulley/Belt Kit?  (Read 1906 times)

Offline JeffAARy

• Orange Mopars Drive Me Wild
I'm thinking I'd really like to do this.  Anyone installed one?  Do you like it?

http://www.billetspecialties.com/assets/500/0000000886-prod.jpg

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
Re: Anyone Installed Billet Specialties Serpentine Pulley/Belt Kit?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2008 - 08:11:54 PM »
They are a very clean look and set-up. Little on the pricey side though. :2thumbs: let us know what you decide. :clapping:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline JeffAARy

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2008 - 08:16:42 PM »
It is pricey, but there are a lot of parts there.  Plus, in addition to all the pulleys and brackets you get an alternator, power steering pump, water pump, and AC compressor.

I think it looks really sweet.  I'm getting ready to install a Classic Auto Air AC system, and the pulley and AC mounting bracket that came with it look like crap.  I can't see putting those parts on my Cuda.  I'd rather use all the other parts in conjunction with the serpentine set-up.  Since the AC compressor mounts in a different location, there is no sense installing the Classic system then installing the serpentine set-up later and having to redo all the hoses.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2008 - 08:21:29 PM »
I know what your saying old mate.  Serpintine would be a cleaner look for sure.  They do look sweet.

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008 - 12:42:44 AM »
  Serpintine is far more cleaner looking, I am playing with some ideas to adapt to my new 360 when it is finished. Main trouble as said above is if you have the stock A/C compressor it is alot of work.
  My car is an A/C car even though all under the hood is missing and I could install a rotary compressor, I like the look of the twin piston original. Also as in the example above the water pump turns the normal direction, I have already bought a new water pump ( put it in my hand luggage, customs got a shock ), so while I have a bit of time I am fiddling with some options.   :popcorn: 
Dave

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2008 - 12:46:01 AM »
Hey AC,

Let us know what direction you do go pleease. :2thumbs:

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2008 - 02:28:45 AM »
Hey AC,

Let us know what direction you do go pleease. :2thumbs:

No problems mate, will be later this year though.  Keep on   :burnout:
Dave

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2008 - 07:52:35 PM »
You know me the shinier the better. Love chrome, polished, billet aluminum, etc. From what I understand it also reduces drag and you will realize a small horsepower gain. Do you have a financial officer (girlfreind/wife) to get this approved by ??? We can come up with some good ROI's (Return on Investment) for you. I have had to use some doozies - My girlfreind thinks that the Intake Manifold is two separate pieces. I showed her the size of the carb (onle one) for the six pack compared to 4 barrel for her to understand how much gas that I will be saving. 

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2008 - 09:22:50 PM »
You know me the shinier the better. Love chrome, polished, billet aluminum, etc. From what I understand it also reduces drag and you will realize a small horsepower gain. Do you have a financial officer (girlfreind/wife) to get this approved by ??? We can come up with some good ROI's (Return on Investment) for you. I have had to use some doozies - My girlfreind thinks that the Intake Manifold is two separate pieces. I showed her the size of the carb (onle one) for the six pack compared to 4 barrel for her to understand how much gas that I will be saving. 

:roflsmiley: :worshippy

I'll have to try that one for a Six Pak myself.LOL

Tom :naughty:
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline JeffAARy

« Reply #9 on: May 02, 2008 - 03:45:09 PM »
I've decided not to do this.  It turns out there is a lot more stuff to do/parts to buy.  They don't come right out and tell you, but if you look at the online instructions and do some thinking you realize that you must also:

1)  Switch to an electric fuel pump because there will be interference with the mechanical one.

2)  Purchase a remote mount power steering reservoir and the lines/fittings to go with it.

You also have to re-route your water hoses as the new water pump inlet/outlet are in a different place to prevent interference issues.  Also, I get the feeling you have to make changes to the electrical system so it will work with the new alternator.

I'm not real impressed with them not divulging this info up front.  Typical poor business practice - don't tell the client about everything they need, wait until the item is purchased and then half installed and let them discover they need to spend more $$$$$.  This should all be part of the package, but would of course drive the price up and drive away customers.

My main reason for wanting to do this, other than the cool factor, is the Classic Auto Air AC compressor bracket is so ugly and I don't want to install it.  I think my new solution will be to get the bracket shaped and/or mill something cool into it.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2008 - 03:48:40 PM by JeffAARy »

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #10 on: May 02, 2008 - 03:52:46 PM »
Have a pic of the classic auto air bracket?
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline JeffAARy

« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008 - 09:32:16 PM »
I don't have a pic.  If I remember correctly it is just a rectangular piece of 1/2" plate with mounting holes, and would look totally stupid when you pop the hood.

Offline cudadave72

• you motorboatin sob!!!
« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2008 - 10:55:01 PM »
What does something like that cost?? ???
1972 BS23 H code Cuda, B5 blue, 340 streched to 416 cu in, 727 w/ 8 3/4 rear, 7.23 in the 1/8 mile and 11.38@117mph in the 1/4 on drag radials   Under restoration! Coming soon... 440cuin R3 Indy SMALL BLOCK monster!!!!

Offline ntstlgl1970

• Resident
  • T a c o c a t
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008 - 01:39:42 AM »
probably 1k, the march stuff is about that much....
70 Cuda, 7.0L Gen-III Hemi, Viper T56 w/9310 gearset, 3.91's, Megasquirt MS3x v3.57, Innovate wideband, Firm Feel upper arms, torsion bars, springs and strut rods, QA1 DA shocks. I did everything on this car except the fancy paint stuff and I drive it...and I can't seem to stop messing with it....

Offline wiging19

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2008 - 04:53:08 PM »
I went with the March system.  Billet's system struck my fancy but after discussing the needs for my car with the guy working on it we decided the March system would work better in my car.  Require less tweaking.  Don't get me wrong they both need tweaking.  My car is an original AC car and I've done alot to make it appear as original as possible. Since I decided to go with a Hemi engine in my car this seemed to be the best route for me. :picture: