Author Topic: Brakes Hot  (Read 2577 times)

Offline old-school

Re: Brakes Hot
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008 - 10:52:46 PM »
Well, after getting the threaded adjuster, we were able to get all the play out of the axels. Brake drums no longer get hot so i guess everythings correct with the gear change. However, when in drive, the rear end now whines quite loud, not really at all in 1st or 2nd. Will this loosen up and quit, or is something else wrong now?

The guy who helped me do the change says that somes gears just whine. I was expecting quite a bit of drop off from the rpms with the change from 4:10 to 3:55 when trying to cruise about 45 mph around town, but it's really not that big of a difference. The engine still seems to be revved up quite a bit with the 3:55's. I jumped on the interstate and ran about 60 and it was revved pretty high. I don't have a tach yet which is next but i know it's up there still yet as far as rpms go. Maybe i was expecting too much? This manual valve body three speed sucks but i can't afford to replace it with a overdrive transmission which is what i'd like or a manual four speed which would really be great!

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2008 - 10:59:25 PM »
3:55's should not whine.

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #17 on: April 25, 2008 - 11:10:36 PM »
used my handy calculator & 235/60/15 w/4.10 gear would turn 3421rpm @ 60
                                                     w/3.55                        2962
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2008 - 03:33:47 AM »
something is wrong with the set up on the gears if they whine ,when set up correctly they will be quiet , are these new gears ?

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline old-school

« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2008 - 09:25:05 AM »
Yes they are new gears. What could he have done wrong with the install that would make the rear end whine when in drive? He took the center section with him and installed the ring and pinion, set back lash, installed shims etc.,

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2008 - 09:28:15 AM »
Did you see the wear pattern before he out them into the car.

Offline old-school

« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2008 - 09:39:39 AM »
The 4:10's that came out looked new. Didn't really notice anything and he didn't mention anything.

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2008 - 06:02:22 PM »
You can tell if they were set up right by the wear pattern. That confirms they will break in correctly. i understand that once they whine that is it. Maybe someone else might disagree? I wonder if there is an additive you can add to stop the whining?

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2008 - 03:34:44 AM »
pull them & check the pattern , something is wrong , pinion depth backlash ...something , if you catch it fast you should be able to get them to run quiet , run them for very long the way they are & they cannot be set up to run quiet ever

Offline old-school

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2008 - 11:40:09 AM »
Thanks guys.

Maybe too late! I drove the car all day yesterday! It was beautiful outside and i had been down for a while so i couldn't resist. Is it too late? The center section was pulled (3) times during this ordeal and i hate to do it again! Went through three gaskets as well! Thoughts? I'd hate to pull it one more time and not be able to get rid of the whine.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2008 - 12:16:47 PM »
I would pull it Just to get rid of the whine , who wants to live with that