Author Topic: Uuugh just changed the oli in my magnum  (Read 2302 times)

Offline moparnut

• Resident
  • Nutin like a nice Piece of Hickory"Clint Eastwood
    • My Photo's
Uuugh just changed the oli in my magnum
« on: April 19, 2008 - 09:35:12 PM »
Well the last time my oil needed changing was right before a long trip for work so i had Jiffy Lube do it because i didn't have the time. I usually never have a shop do it because i like to use fulll synthetic and Wix filters and the peace of mind its done right. This is the only time it hasn't been done by me and the car now has 40k miles on it. I looked at the oil filter and it wasn't changed at Jiffy Lube GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR  :villagers: :villagers: :villagers:
The same WIx Nascar limited filter was on there,I have a case of them so i know it wasn't their filter.I will NEVER NEVER NEVER let a shop do it again.In the past i have either found my filter or drainplug WAY overtorqued and required demolishing them to get them off.One time i have to take a torch to the drain plug in a previous car to get it off.(Nice Tip,if you get a drainplug on too tight,gently use a torch to melt the plastic washer,works everytime in a few seconds).Monday I am going to go to Jiffy Lube and raise Holy Heck with the manager and demand a refund(I dont want a free oil change). I took pics of the old filter and bagged it. Sorry for the rank,this stuff really pisses me off. :swear: :swear: :swear:
70 Barracuda Gran Coupe,383-4bbl,# Match
2012 Subaru Forester
70 D100 Adventurer 383 pickup
02 F250 S'cab Powerstroke 7.3 4x4 6 speed Manual
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Uuugh just changed the oli in my magnum
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2008 - 09:59:29 PM »
I wouldn't let jiffy lube check my oil, let alone change it...

They are just plain terrible and a very high percentage are theives.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2008 - 10:11:51 PM »
I wouldn't let jiffy lube check my oil, let alone change it...

They are just plain terrible and a very high percentage are theives.
Well like i said i was in a bind and had a long trip,wont ever happen again.BUT<i do have to say that they weren't the only ones,some others have done the same thing or overtightened my filter/drainplug. ALL! oil change shops are ripoffs :villagers:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline 6packCuda

• Eagle, NE... Member since 11/17/06
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2008 - 10:17:54 PM »
Yea, I made that mistake once too. Took a car to jiffy lube for an oil change. When I got  home I opened the hood to check things out, and there was the dip stick still laying on the fender. None of the fluids had been topped off either, which was supposed to be part of the deal. :villagers: I will never let somebody else do anything on any of my cars that I can do myself. This kind of crap jjust happens too much.
Dave

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2008 - 11:30:50 PM »
I have a friend in Florida that makes a living out of fixing all the f'ups they do. The manager has his cell and calls him on a weekly basis to fix what his "mechanics" destroy. Jiffy, Goodyear, Pep Boys, Firestone and a bunch of other big name places all pay tribute to his skills.  :roflsmiley: He makes a bit of cash :roflsmiley:

Offline Street_Challenged73

• Sr. Resident
  • '73 FC-7 Challenger..Member since October 20, 2002
    • My '73 Challenger Restoration Page
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2008 - 12:59:28 AM »
That doesn't surprise me.  For every one good employee at one of those places, there are fifteen crooks.  I still hate it when my mom gets her car tires changed in Wal-Mart and then when we need to do brake service, it takes a breaker bar, a long pipe, and a bunch of force to get the lug nuts off.  All those "quick" shops, whether it be Wal-Mart for tires or Jiffy Lube for oil, always use an impact for everything.  I wouldn't be surprised if they used one to take off the drain plug as well as reinstall it as I've heard of people finding out their pan was wrecked due to cross-threading after having a shop do their oil. ::)
1973 Dodge Challenger......................The ongoing project. (00/----\00)
1991 Dodge Stealth R/T Twin-Turbo....The sunny day cruiser (RTBoost)
1990 Toyota Celica GT Liftback...........The new daily & winter driver.
All-American Muscle: 'Cudas and Challengers...Still the Elite and always will be.

Street_Challenged73 from Wisconsin

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2008 - 03:48:50 PM »
I just called Jiffy Lube,they say they take pics of every filter they change and will call corporate to have the pics pulled and get back to me to find out which employee did it.We will see if this is a bunch of Bull-Shavocky or not.
Then i will chew someone out.I told them I was upset i just put 8k miles on the same filter. :villagers: :villagers:
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2008 - 04:57:52 PM »
Yup, I learned long ago not to let those in-n-out shops change my oil. In 94 or so on my Z71 they had stripped the front diff plug, I overheard a high school kid say, "It is stripped" I asked him if he stripped it and he says, no its not stripped, I just thought it was or something like that. A year or so later I did the oil change myself and when I went to check the front diff I could tell the plug had not been pulled in a long time and....you guessed it..... it was stripped. I called and *****ed but since it had been a while there was nothing that could be done. I quit going to that place. Fast forward 10 years and the family is going out of town and I dont have time to change the oil in my wifes 04 Yukon so I decide to take it to the sheethole again. The alarm on my Yukon sets itself automatically after about 45 seconds and the idiots closed the doors with the thing running. I had to call my wife, she had to leave work, drive across town to our house, get the second set of keys, drive across town to the lube shop and then drive back to work. 45 minutes worth of gas just out the tailpipe. The guy knocked off 10 bucks or so on the oil change but that has done it for me and quicky lube outfits. They get young school kids or down and out older dudes and pay them dirt, no wonder the work ethic is not there.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline 472 R/T SE

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2008 - 07:02:13 PM »
We let the dealership do all the service on the new Ram so that it's all on record.

This is a little revealing.
HELP SUPPORT THE REGISTRIES because all cars matter.

I like to sleep For I'm walking in my dreams.
Live life like every DAY is your last!

Offline FY1Cuda

« Reply #9 on: April 20, 2008 - 07:07:24 PM »
That doesn't surprise me.  For every one good employee at one of those places, there are fifteen crooks.  I still hate it when my mom gets her car tires changed in Wal-Mart and then when we need to do brake service, it takes a breaker bar, a long pipe, and a bunch of force to get the lug nuts off.  All those "quick" shops, whether it be Wal-Mart for tires or Jiffy Lube for oil, always use an impact for everything.  I wouldn't be surprised if they used one to take off the drain plug as well as reinstall it as I've heard of people finding out their pan was wrecked due to cross-threading after having a shop do their oil. ::)
When I got the tires put on my Cuda, they had the lugnuts tightened so much that the stud broke loose and was spinning.  I started the day with plans of spending an hour adjusting the brakes.  Ended up spending 8 hours getting the one wheel off.  :stomp:  :swear: :stomp:

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2008 - 08:47:31 PM »
LOL I just got finished changing the oil in my truck and had forgot I had them do my last oil change so I would not have to lube it (lazy ass) Well for one thing I collapsed the damn oil filter getting it off because they had it so tight. Other than that everything went smooth. New Napa gold filter and 5 fresh quarts of good ole black gold. I think I will just have to break out the grease gun and do my own oil changes from here on out. I know one thing for sure, I will NEVER, EVER let one of those outfits change the oil in my Challenger, if I ever get it back on the road that is.  :crying:
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline moparnut

• Resident
    • My Photo's
« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2008 - 09:43:30 PM »
Stupid is as Stupid does(referring to Jiffy Lube)You would think after the news blitz of their scams they would do differently,or was my thoughts.I did see the bust on them a when it happened,figured no one is that stupid and they would do it right,boy was i wrong.Remember when Jack in the Box  got caught under cooking meat?After the scandle it was the safest place to eat a burger,I guess JIffy Lube is just dishonest from the TOP down.
2012 Subaru Forester
06 Honda VTX1800S Spec 3

Offline moparmaniac59

• Resident
  • Drive it like ya stole it!
« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2008 - 10:13:25 PM »
I saw that under-cover story that was done on Jiffy Lube. You would think some corporate heads would roll and changes would be made throughout the company??? Waz up with that?? It ain't just the chains. A local guy here (auto repair shop owner) in Virginia Beach, VA was charging folks to install an overhauled/remanufactured replacement engine when it actually came from a junk yard!! He took it a step further than that as he was stealing the identities of his customers. He got busted (owned three repair shops) and they figured he had stolen and ripped off folks to the tune of $400,000.00 bucks!!  :swear: :stomp: :swear:

Matt B.
Matt

Offline Hopalong

• HEAD OFF! Apply directly to the neck line!
« Reply #13 on: April 21, 2008 - 06:05:08 PM »
I love it when they lube all the pivots an my work van.  I crawled under one time and never did see any zerks!
{oo/===\oo}

Offline Grancoupe

« Reply #14 on: April 21, 2008 - 06:28:57 PM »
Years back one of the shops i used to work at there was a customer that used to drive from NY to California and back monthly. He would get an oil change before leaving each state. I worked at a Mobile station at the time. I put the car on the lift after he got back from one of his cross country runs and there was my old Mobile filter still on the car! Probably didn't change the oil either. The messed up thing was the filer was trashed on the outside. Like they took a pair of pliers to it and couldn't get it off. I just put my filter wrench on it and it just spun off with ease. I thought maybe I had overtightened it when i had put it on th first time but it just came right off. Still have no ides what went on over three. I do believe he probably ran 6 to 7 thousand miles on regular oil. Not good.