Author Topic: Axle bearings  (Read 11756 times)

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
Re: Axle bearings
« Reply #15 on: April 22, 2008 - 09:36:50 AM »
Have any car parts store cross over a TIMKEN part No. SET7 

The bearing comes with a collar.    You need the "collar".  The retainer is the bolt-on plate that hold the adjuster on the passenger side and the non-adjustable plate on the driver's side.  Sorry for the confusion.

Might as well change the inner and outer seals too, since the collar would have to be cut back off if the seals start to leak later.
Most "REAL" auto parts stores have a press in the back and can install the bearing for you for less that $30 for the pair.

Rob
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008 - 09:52:57 AM by shelbydogg »
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

My Pace Car restoration thread:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=44869.0

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2008 - 09:50:25 AM »
Rock Auto shows these two for my Dana, but there is no pictures, so I am afraid to get it, even the pictures for the other bearings looks like front ones, not rear.

BCA/NATIONAL Part # RA331MK {Bearing/Oil Seal Kit}
Rear Axle; (Master Kit); Spicer 60 9.75" R.G.                   $139.79

TIMKEN Part # DRK331
Rear Axle; Spicer 60 Axle                                             $151.79
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2008 - 09:58:45 AM »
Rock Auto shows these two for my Dana, but there is no pictures, so I am afraid to get it, even the pictures for the other bearings looks like front ones, not rear.

Why not just get them from your local Oreillys or CarQuest, Etc?  Rock Auto, with shipping, then return shipping if wrong, could end up costing more money in the end.  Dana 60s came in most 3/4 and 1 ton vans and trucks so the parts are common. If your local store gets you the wrong one, they will get you the right ones.
Rob

3 E-bodies, Megasquirt-1v3.0, Edelbrock Pro-Flo-1, Holley C950, FAST EZ-EFI; say no to carbs...yes to throttle bodies

Offline RDF

• The pain that greets me is the stick that beats me
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2008 - 12:22:04 PM »
Well I called Orlando Dodge again for the heck of it and the parts are discontinued, BUT, he looked in the performance catalog and found the axle bearing kit that everyone's been talking about....$119.00.  That kit includes the retainer, bearing, race, collar, seal and gasket for each side...... :woohoo:  So I think I am all set now.....it's supposed to be coming from the warehouse tomorrow....but if they don't have it, it could take 3 or so days to get here.....either way, I think I'm good, for now.... :2thumbs:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=45749.0

Offline ksierens

• 70 Challenger Resurrection
« Reply #19 on: April 22, 2008 - 02:18:03 PM »
Isn't that the "green" bearings, that don't need the adjuster?
1970 Triple Black Challenger R/T  440 Six Pack - 4 Speed - 3.55 Dana
Kurt - SE Michigan

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #20 on: April 22, 2008 - 02:20:12 PM »
yes , the green brgs eliminate the adjuster

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline RDF

« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2008 - 04:49:58 PM »
I don't know much about the Green bearings, only from what Rob (shelbydogg) has stated about them....but he's a solid member around here and there weren't too many others arguing his case so it was fine be me not to use them.  :2thumbs:  Head sounding like a broken record, but that's what I love about this site....good people looking out for each other.... :cheers:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

If we never drown we'll never know how well it tastes....So tell me how it tastes and I'll know just how well you drowned.

My build:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2008 - 05:18:55 PM »
I don't know much about the Green bearings, only from what Rob (shelbydogg) has stated about them

Thanks RDF.  All I know is that my bearings last forever if adjusted and greased properly.  In the 80s and 90s, we had a few FWD Daytonas, Horizons, and Lasers. It seemed like those darn things always needed front wheel bearings replaced. Those were all ball type bearings that the green bearings are.  I've heard of horror stories of those things drying out and causing headaches due to the small contact area of the ball's sides when going around turns. I think that I drove about 10,000 miles in 2007, for the Power Tour, Carlisle, Woodward, etc. and wheel bearings was one thing that I didn't have to worry about.

Isn't that the "green" bearings, that don't need the adjuster?

I think ksierens is asking if you're sure that you didn't just order the green bearing kits. Most auto parts have the right bearings and seals, they just don't have the metal and foam gasket.
Rob

Offline RDF

« Reply #23 on: April 22, 2008 - 05:47:16 PM »
I think ksierens is asking if you're sure that you didn't just order the green bearing kits. Most auto parts have the right bearings and seals, they just don't have the metal and foam gasket.

:faint:  I think you are right.....I'm about to hurl.... :puke:

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1456

:walkaway:

Now I'm back to square one I guess....what to do?  If we have a press, can the old collar be reused?  Goody said he might be able to get a press.....?????   :dunno:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #24 on: April 22, 2008 - 05:55:46 PM »
:faint:  I think you are right.....I'm about to hurl.... :puke:

http://www.monicattichrysler.com/comersus/store/comersus_viewItem.asp?idProduct=1456

:walkaway:

Now I'm back to square one I guess....what to do?  If we have a press, can the old collar be reused?  Goody said he might be able to get a press.....?????   :dunno:

That's what you don't want to use, green bearings....read shebydogs post....order timkens "SET7"
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline RDF

« Reply #25 on: April 22, 2008 - 06:30:13 PM »
This appears to be the correct collar from Timken:

Timken Collar

I think I can piece this together with parts from different places.....I've already got the bearings and race from Advance Auto, the oil seals and foam gaskets I've got from the dodge dealer, and now I can get the collar from Timken......I can use my old retainers right?  If that's the case, then I don't think I'm missing anything here.....am i? :dunno:
« Last Edit: April 22, 2008 - 07:06:43 PM by RDF »
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline ShelbyDogg

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #26 on: April 22, 2008 - 08:40:39 PM »
My PartsPlus Auto Parts guys tell me that the collar comes with the bearing.  You never want to reuse a bearing collar or esle you'll end up on the side of the rod with your axle hanging out or gone.   Have you seen Chevys that did this? They have a locking clip on the inside of the diff that if the axle breaks,the whole axle falls out.

Rob     

Please call a regular auto parts and ask them what is in the box.
Rob

Offline RDF

« Reply #27 on: April 22, 2008 - 09:40:16 PM »
My PartsPlus Auto Parts guys tell me that the collar comes with the bearing.  You never want to reuse a bearing collar or esle you'll end up on the side of the rod with your axle hanging out or gone.   Have you seen Chevys that did this? They have a locking clip on the inside of the diff that if the axle breaks,the whole axle falls out.

Rob     

Please call a regular auto parts and ask them what is in the box.

Ok, HUGE appologies to all about this....I'm such a schmuck sometimes (that's the Polish in me).  I have the bearings out in my garage so I decided to take a look one more time....wadda think?  The collars are in the box!   :faint:  I'm such a dolt!!  :banghead: When I opened the box at the part store about 2 weeks ago, I just looked for the race and the bearing, I didn't know about the collar.....so when I found out I needed one, I didn't think to look in the box, that is, until this thread came along.

So...needless to say....I have the bearings, race, collars, seals and gaskets now.  I think I'm going to find a local shop that can press the bearing and collar on for me (because I have the used axles already in a box, might as well get them ready for installation instead of me doing it).

I'm such a meat-head sometimes!! :misbehaving:
Bob

1973 'Cuda

My build:

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #28 on: April 22, 2008 - 09:48:16 PM »
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident