Author Topic: How tough is it to swap out a power steering box with the engine and trans in th  (Read 1240 times)

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
My car is a 70 with a 440 auto and stock exhaust manifolds.  I have about 500 miles on it now, and am already tired of the vague power steering.  I would like to put in a firm feel steering box, but the one in it was new, and works fine so I am not ready for any huge operation or to pull the engine or exhaust again anytime soon.

How tough is it to swap out a power steering box with the engine and trans in the car?
Any tips or tricks?
** Shane **

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
it is not too bad , I have done it with a hemi as well ,

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline DoNotChallengeHer

• Resident
  • Drive It Like You Stole It !
Rick had my steering box out in 1 hr. I have a small block. I know he had to drop the header, take the starter off and drop the steering column.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
Ok, I guess I should put a new steering box on the list.  I though a new stock unit would be fine, but after driving new performance cars, the steering on these old cars feels kind of like a soap box derby car.

Is the firm feel unit the best way to go for a bolt on?
** Shane **

• Resident
Ok, I guess I should put a new steering box on the list.  I though a new stock unit would be fine, but after driving new performance cars, the steering on these old cars feels kind of like a soap box derby car.

Is the firm feel unit the best way to go for a bolt on?
I heard the firm feel is the way to go. With all the other stuff I have to do to my Chally. I just sent mine out to be rebuilt.

Offline FJ5_440

• Wisconsin
It does seem never ending.  Now that the car is 99% complete and has almost all new parts, I actually find myself replacing new parts with better upgraded new parts.  It is clearly a sickness.
** Shane **

• Resident
It does seem never ending.  Now that the car is 99% complete and has almost all new parts, I actually find myself replacing new parts with better upgraded new parts.  It is clearly a sickness.
That happened when I 1st bought the Chally. Parts didn't clean up nice enough, etc.  :cheers:

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
after almost 40 years virtually any part not rebuilt or replaced will come back to bite you unless it si ultra low milage & well mainainted

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t