Author Topic: Fan Shroud not fitting at all  (Read 3437 times)

Offline elevenssc

Fan Shroud not fitting at all
« on: April 22, 2008 - 10:14:16 PM »
Searched this thread for relevant posts, but didn't find anything that applied directly to my situation.

Here's my deal...When I replaced my whole cooling system last fall, I upgraded my radiator from the 22" to a 26".  I opted for the aftermarket OEM style radiator that ended up coming from China (not too pleased with that, but oh well, the price was right...and it works better than the leaking piece I had). 

The car never had a fan shroud so I also ordered a fan shroud from Paddock, part number 2998326.  The shroud and fan dont fit together when I put the shroud where it is suposto go.  I need to move the shroud up about a half inch, and then rotate it a little bit CW (looking at it from the front of the car).  When I do this, the fan clears the shroud, but the shroud is about 1/2 " away from the radiator at the top...not ideal for air flow.

When I put the radiator in the car, I had to "massage" the radiator support to get it to sit down low enough to clear the hood.  I also had to cut open the radiator opening to take advantage of the extra 4" wide core.

The fan PN is 3462186...a 20", 7 blade fluid drive.

Other info...Non air car...Engine = 340...Tranny = 4-spd

Do I have the correct shroud?  Is the Chineese Radiator hosing things up? Anybody been down this road before?

Any input is appreciated...thanks

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
Re: Fan Shroud not fitting at all
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2008 - 10:22:24 PM »
I believe the factory fans were 18" unless you had a Chrysler NewPort or New Yorker

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Bullitt-

• Permanent Resident
  • Better Things To Come Member Since 2/16/06
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2008 - 10:25:30 PM »
dunno....here is a pic of an OE 26" radiator for comparison.
Wade  73 Rallye 340..'77 Millennium Falcon...13 R/T Classic   Huntsville, AL
Screwed by Photobucket!

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 27, 2008 - 06:43:35 AM »
Very interesting. :popcorn: I would like to know the outcome of this one myself. :2thumbs:
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 - 07:23:31 AM by hemiken »
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline Moparal

• Permanent Resident
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 - 07:10:44 AM »
I have never seen a 20 inch fan on an A or B body car. I think they were 18 or 18.5.  I tried a 20 inch I was told was correct, and It was over an inch too large from fitting right.  I got one off of a 69 charger r/t and it fits perfect with my set up. It measures like 18.5 inches

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 - 08:58:35 PM »
The shroud opening is 20.5" so the fan will fit on the opening if the allignment is correct.

Looking at it a little more, either the radiator is down too low, or the engine/water pump is up too high.  I did replace the water pump and both units look identical.  If they are different, it's by a few thousandths.

I'm going to assume that the radiator is in the correct location because it fit right into the mounting holes on the drivers side of the core support.  I did have to relocate the passenger side mounting holes by cutting and welding a 4" section of the core support.  the original only had an opening big enough for a 22" radiator.  When I put the 26" core in the hole, 4" of the core were blocked by the core support. (this puzzles me too...were there 2 core supports...one for 22" and one for 26" cores?)

If my fan part number cross reference is correct, the fan came off a 73 340/360 with HD cooling system.  The 340 in my Cuda is not original.  My car started life as a 318 3-spd, so all bets are off as to what is there, and what should be there.  I'm just puzzled as to why the interchangability is giving me a headache.

For now, I'm planning to mount the shroud separately with brackets.  If spring ever gets here (it was snowing today!!!), I want to be able to drive the car.  I'll figure out whats going on with the mis-allignment later.

Thanks everyone for your input.  If I ever do find the  "Ah Ha" I'll let you know...

Offline BadJoey

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008 - 09:21:39 PM »
For all it is worth I recently purchased a radiator and shroud from paddocks .I got a 22 inch radiator and the bottom 2 bolt holes had to be redrilled . The shroud 3 holes lined up and the 4th was way off . I had to make a bracket to make it fit . I wish I sent it all back but I had it a few months before putting it in  . I'm probably the only one who will notice yet it still bugs me .

Offline Scatterbrain

• 1973 Challenger
« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2008 - 10:09:12 PM »
For all it is worth I recently purchased a radiator and shroud from paddocks .I got a 22 inch radiator and the bottom 2 bolt holes had to be redrilled . The shroud 3 holes lined up and the 4th was way off . I had to make a bracket to make it fit . I wish I sent it all back but I had it a few months before putting it in  . I'm probably the only one who will notice yet it still bugs me .

I picked up a 22 inch replacement from RockAuto and it fit perfectly all four bolts lined up correctly.  Car hasn't seen the middle of the gauge since I installed it.  I removed the mechanical fan and installed an electric one.  For some reason I could never get the shroud and the fan to line up correctly let alone to get it mounted to the support, it was almost as if my engine was at an upward angle. 
« Last Edit: April 27, 2008 - 10:14:24 PM by Scatterbrain »

Offline elevenssc

« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2008 - 09:01:42 PM »
I spent too much time trying to make the shroud fit...I gave up.  (what a pain!)   :pullinghair:

I'll be opting for an electric fan in the near future.  Anyone need a part number 2998326 fan shroud?  I did a little modifying to it under the upper radiator hose so it isn't "original".  (I should probably post this in parts huh...)