Author Topic: Tire Recommendations  (Read 3430 times)

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
Re: Tire Recommendations
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2008 - 03:14:18 PM »
 :smilielol:

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline ted

• 74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2008 - 04:26:27 AM »
looks like there discontinued all 70s 14 "
74 cuda, 70 challenger r/t

Offline MJS73

• Mike's 1973 Challenger
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2008 - 09:45:07 AM »
My Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s perform well and look nice (IMNHO).

Mike
www.mikes73.com
Don't PM me - send me an e-mail at mjsavage2001@yahoo.com

Offline drewcrane

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2008 - 10:07:51 AM »
just my 2 cents ,look for the tread wear rating, it will tell you alot about the compunds,i have 2 sets of tires on 2 cars one has  a tread wear of 280, the other 460,the 280 is an eagle f1,the 460 is a brigestone potenza, the 280, after 2 times at the track the heat up fast get real sticky,and i like them, however they are almost gone!,the 460 is on my driver, the have 45 thousand miles and they still have the little nipples on the sides there is easily 20 or 30thousand miles left on them i really like this tire for its price and performance,i have had buddies use the potenza on a track can and the loved them , the key here is the tread wear rating, go to consumer reports and look a couple of those tires you want and they will tell you just about everything justt my  :2cents:,drew

Offline LAA66

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2008 - 10:27:08 AM »
My Firestone Firehawk Indy 500s perform well and look nice (IMNHO).

Mike

:iagree:

Had mine for a little over a year now and like them alot. They do have some tire squirm when new but seem to be getting better with age. I think any tire with a deep tread will do this. My B.F.G. All Terrains on the truck were really bad when new but improved with time also.

Good point regarding tread wear Drew.
 With the limited amount of miles most people put on these cars I think a softer compound would be the way to go. I have been told not to run tires more than 5 years old so might as well shoot for that tire life based on miles driven per year.

Offline bb71challenger

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2008 - 10:52:04 AM »
I have used the tire rack for years and think it has been a great way to try different makes of tires. One thing to consider when reading the rating posts is tire size and vehicle. If you look closer you will realize the threads go all over the map on tire size and intended usage. Some will  point you in the right direction but I have been fooled by good ratings into buying a crappy tire also. Dunlops are good tires, Pirelli, Yokahama makes some damn nice tires with lots of grip or they used to. The last set I bought were Potenzas and they are really nice.....but all those tires were small 14" tires on stock neon R/T rims. None of those would I recommend for our cars because they just dont relate, even the taller 14" tires would not act even close to the same imo. Take the ratings with a grain of salt but when you get the right tire you really cant beat the tire racks prices. When you get a stinker of a tire it kinda sucks though. The only crappy thing is having to pay the tire shop here outrageous prices to mount and balance. You can still save big on tires by buying online, it just the margin starts to shrink really fast when you go to mount them.
1971 Challenger (OO==== ====OO) getting close!
1970 Challenger (OO########OO) long ways off
*Brett*

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2008 - 11:00:52 AM »
One thing to consider when reading the rating posts is tire size and vehicle. If you look closer you will realize the threads go all over the map on tire size and intended usage. Some will  point you in the right direction but I have been fooled by good ratings into buying a crappy tire also.

That's a very good point. And on top of that the reviewers have widely varying experience levels.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline cudazappa

« Reply #22 on: April 29, 2008 - 07:13:39 PM »
My best experience with a 15" street machine tire has also been the Firestone Firehawk line (SS20 superceded by the Indy 500).  Have had them on my 83 'doba and my 300, VERY pleased.  I just got a set of 15x8 Super Coupe Rims for my challenger, and yes, they'll be wearing 255/60 Indy 500s when its time for street duty.

I also like Coopers, sorry to see they disco'd the GT Qualifier (had a set on my first car...).  In low profiles, I've had great results with toyo, yokohama, pirrelli, and bridgestone, but nothing in a softer sidewall.  My dad used to swear by Kelly's and Yoko's on his trucks, and when I worked at a tire store, we sold TONS of Yokos (Toyos were the brand we were told to push, but everybody wanted Yoko's)

just my 2 cents.
1971 Challenger - AutoX project
2015 Dart GT - Daily Driver