What are you doing with your ebody this weekend?

Author Topic: What are you doing with your ebody this weekend?  (Read 588539 times)

Offline blown motor

• Resident
Re: What are you doing with your ebody this weekend?
« Reply #3285 on: April 08, 2016 - 06:42:21 PM »
Just got done with polishing and waxing. Now we need some driving weather.
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3286 on: April 08, 2016 - 07:37:03 PM »
Went over and worked on the Charger again today. Someone SURE loves this Charger to go to these lengths?  :screwy:
But Meh...... Just glad it's not my car

Brad
1970 Challenger 451stroker/4L60 auto OD
Barrie,Ontario,Canada
Proud to own one of the best cars ever made!!!!!

My restoration thread 
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=59072.0
 My handling upgrade post
http://www.cuda-challenger.com/cc/index.php?topic=73985.0

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3287 on: April 08, 2016 - 09:43:36 PM »
Damn..... lots O work and lots O $$$

I am beginning the body work on my Cuda.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline djais1801

« Reply #3288 on: April 11, 2016 - 09:18:18 AM »
one man's slob is another man's supermodel
Went over and worked on the Charger again today. Someone SURE loves this Charger to go to these lengths?  :screwy:
But Meh...... Just glad it's not my car

Offline crash340

« Reply #3289 on: April 18, 2016 - 05:55:27 AM »
Interested in how your doing this, sounds like a cool project. Hope it goes well for ya  :2thumbs:

A little update, well, pulled out the Mopar housing ends I got from our friend Cass, took all the measurements I needed and trimmed the old free float housing ends off with a metal drop saw, took a bit of time to make sure the saw was going to cut a good square cut to minimise cleanups. the Mopar ends are 2.5" long so a little math and good to go to end up with a flange to flange housing length of 54 7/8", (a 1/16" shorter than a 1970 B Body as I wanted to pick up a small amount of outer fender lip clearance) I then borrowed a housing jig from a mate, large diameter solid steel shaft, has two sets of 'donuts', one set for the carrier bearing location so bolt them in tight, the shaft passes through so the other two donuts fit on the shaft and fit into the Mopar housing ends to keep everything in relative alignment,,,,sort of anyway.
Sooooo after some more carry on, I manned up and welded the spring perches (44" apart) with a pinion up angle of 7 deg, this matches a std E Body housing angle. then tack welded the housing ends onto the Dana tubes, these Dana tubes are thicker than 3/8" wall thickness!!!!!, so after tacking in four spots I then got out a couple  of  6' levels to use as straight edges and clamped them across the ends of the housing and measured either end to check for parallel , they were within 1/64” then did the same 90 deg around to get the same so pretty happy with that.
I’ll take it now into a mate who owns a welding shop to have the ends receive full penetration butt welds, the spring perches welded on and also have the axle tubes welded to the cast pumpkin.
That should have the housing set up for the Cuda but with B Body length specs to match the 8.75 unit that is in it at present.
I’ve got axles with screw in long studs from Cass, a Strange S-Trac centre, 3.73 gears and a 1350 yoke, once that’s done I need to have a driveshaft made and good to go
Greg

73 Cuda
Brisbane, Australia

Offline blown motor

• Resident
« Reply #3290 on: April 18, 2016 - 09:03:50 AM »
I took her out for the first run of the season.  :bigsmile:
In search of the eternal buzz!

Offline Sleepychallenger

« Reply #3291 on: April 18, 2016 - 11:48:20 AM »
Installed Dougs headers and a Pypes x-pipe system

Offline js29no

« Reply #3292 on: April 18, 2016 - 12:06:16 PM »
puled it out of it;s winter hibernation! washed her, checked all the fluids, tire presser and took her out for A short ride. :woohoo: :2thumbs:

Offline 340challconvert

• A66- Challenger Registry
    • A66CHALLENGER.COM
« Reply #3293 on: April 18, 2016 - 03:54:42 PM »
Continuing to strip the paint from the inner fenders, radiator frame and engine compartment for cleanup, priming and repaint/
Loads of fun!
1970 Challenger A66 Registry

Offline 70chall440

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3294 on: April 19, 2016 - 08:06:29 PM »
A little update, well, pulled out the Mopar housing ends I got from our friend Cass, took all the measurements I needed and trimmed the old free float housing ends off with a metal drop saw, took a bit of time to make sure the saw was going to cut a good square cut to minimise cleanups. the Mopar ends are 2.5" long so a little math and good to go to end up with a flange to flange housing length of 54 7/8", (a 1/16" shorter than a 1970 B Body as I wanted to pick up a small amount of outer fender lip clearance) I then borrowed a housing jig from a mate, large diameter solid steel shaft, has two sets of 'donuts', one set for the carrier bearing location so bolt them in tight, the shaft passes through so the other two donuts fit on the shaft and fit into the Mopar housing ends to keep everything in relative alignment,,,,sort of anyway.
Sooooo after some more carry on, I manned up and welded the spring perches (44" apart) with a pinion up angle of 7 deg, this matches a std E Body housing angle. then tack welded the housing ends onto the Dana tubes, these Dana tubes are thicker than 3/8" wall thickness!!!!!, so after tacking in four spots I then got out a couple  of  6' levels to use as straight edges and clamped them across the ends of the housing and measured either end to check for parallel , they were within 1/64” then did the same 90 deg around to get the same so pretty happy with that.
I’ll take it now into a mate who owns a welding shop to have the ends receive full penetration butt welds, the spring perches welded on and also have the axle tubes welded to the cast pumpkin.
That should have the housing set up for the Cuda but with B Body length specs to match the 8.75 unit that is in it at present.
I’ve got axles with screw in long studs from Cass, a Strange S-Trac centre, 3.73 gears and a 1350 yoke, once that’s done I need to have a driveshaft made and good to go

Good job Greg, making headway.
Current Mopar
70 Challenger RT 440-6 EFI, 73 Cuda 416-6 EFI
05 Hemi Durango, 01 Ram 4x4, 14 Ram 2500 4X4, 10 PCP Challenger 6 spd RT, 01 Viper GTS ACR, 52 B3B w/330 Desoto Hemi, 70 Hemi RR (under const)
Past Mopars
9 x Challengers. AAR Cuda, 4 RR, 2 GTX, 4 Chargers, etc... (too many to list)

Offline jordan

• no replacement for displacement
« Reply #3295 on: April 22, 2016 - 02:49:51 PM »
I just finished installing a hotchkis rear sway bar.  Lots of fun with the welder!!  Sure looks good.  Pretty cool end links and the bar is really small diameter and light weight.  Took the Cuda out for its first drive today.  Corners super flat.  The front end feels better with less push.  I haven't really gone out and railed on it yet.  That will be sunday when I try autocross for the first time at a local track.  Im sure that will be more fun than stooging around a boring car show where none of the ford and chevy guys will talk to me because my Mopar is badass!!  Looking forward to a summer at redline!!!
"Don't brake until you see God!"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3296 on: April 22, 2016 - 04:03:28 PM »
That 73 Charger I was helping a buddy with is ready for paint. Donor frame rail, cowl and firewall installed.

Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post

Offline roadman5312

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #3297 on: April 22, 2016 - 04:15:42 PM »
             Wow, that was fast.  Nice work.   :2thumbs:

Offline Oldschool

• Administrator
  • Permanent Resident
  • Member Since 9-05-06
« Reply #3298 on: April 22, 2016 - 04:19:32 PM »
I finally got the new engine package up and running real sweet. Then I replaced the rear ring and pinion and axle bearings. So the drive train is healthy. It has almost 2 years of sitting and being worked on thrashing on it, so I got a lot of the painted areas cleaned up last weekend. Now I will start cleaning on the wheels/tires and under the hood. Under the hood will be a pleasure....    :22yikes:   :roflsmiley:   When that is finished, I have a weeks worth of work cleaning the interior. I am looking to try and get it all tightened up in the next 2 weekends. We'll see.....
Ken  --  In Georgia

MOPAR-------"Built To Run------Here To Stay"

Offline brads70

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #3299 on: April 22, 2016 - 04:20:34 PM »
I finally got the new engine package up and running real sweet. Then I replaced the rear ring and pinion and axle bearings. So the drive train is healthy. It has almost 2 years of sitting and being worked on thrashing on it, so I got a lot of the painted areas cleaned up last weekend. Now I will start cleaning on the wheels/tires and under the hood. Under the hood will be a pleasure....    :22yikes:   :roflsmiley:   When that is finished, I have a weeks worth of work cleaning the interior. I am looking to try and get it all tightened up in the next 2 weekends. We'll see.....

CARLISLE!!!!!  :stirpot:
Brad
Barrie,Ontario,Canada

My restoration thread 
 My handling upgrade post