Author Topic: Gear Vendors Deals  (Read 6107 times)

Offline Madmax440

Gear Vendors Deals
« on: April 24, 2008 - 09:57:07 PM »
Man, You guys are killing me here. All of this talk about converting the Automatics over to 5 speeds. I would love to be able to do that, but it was the left leg that got burned. The burn was from the knee down to the ankle and didn't make it too much into the calf muscle, but don't have enough strength to hold a clutch in for too long. Sooooo, I am thinking about adding a Gear vendors Under/Overdrive unit. It sounds like Mr. Carlwalski got all of the kinks worked out for us on these. Are there any good deals around and about how much should it cost me to have installed.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
Re: Gear Vendors Deals
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2008 - 10:02:17 PM »
I think the unit itself is $2500 bucks. I dont believe the install is too much if you have been in a trans. It does require trans work, probably exhaust work, driveshaft shortened, and some wiring up.

What about a hydraulic clutch for you?
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline gkring

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2008 - 10:48:23 PM »
There is also a little know cable operated GV overdrive out there as well. It is either on or off as you can not shift it while moving. So instead of giving you 6 gears from a three speed it is really just giving you two rear end options. Good thing is it is closer to $1200 versus the $2K plus for their other one. it's been a few years since I looked into this, they may not make it any more but it did exist at one time so maybe you can find a used one and save a few bucks.
Greg
1970 Challenger convertible-in process
1970 Barracuda driver

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2008 - 10:50:56 PM »
Why dont you look at getting an adaptor plate if you are using 440 big block and fit up a 518 small block gearbox.  A lot cheaper and has the 4 gears you need. :2thumbs:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline 72hemi

• Resident
  • MEMBER SINCE JANUARY 2006
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2008 - 10:57:13 PM »
I'm going with Keisler's auto overdrive kit. It is pretty pricey though. The complete kit is around $4500 delivered, it even utilizes the stock T handle shifter.
1972 Dodge Challenger 340 6 Pack 4-speed
1996 Dodge Viper GTS Coupe

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2008 - 11:12:18 PM »
I actually plan on and don't have a problem with this costing me upwards to 3K. Does anyone use the hydraulic clutch that Goody mentioned ???   

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2008 - 02:45:16 AM »
I just instaled a GV OD took about 1.5 hrs to do the mechanical work , relatively easy to do , haven`t done the wiring yet but it looks easy , 1 minor glitch in the macining that I had to take care of otherwise it was straight forward , I have used a number of hyd clutches , you still have pressure to deal with although you can manipulate the leverages better

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2008 - 02:54:33 AM »

Yup, they're easy to put in, a little tunnel mods to clear the unit and in she goes. We had trouble with the auto sequencer which "shouldn't" be available to public yet until they've worked out all the kinks. The stock "manual" unit is a drop in and play system, no dramas. :2cents:
1970 Dodge Challenger R/T
White, License Plate, 0A-5599
540ci Aluminium Hemi, F.A.S.T EFI
TF-727 Gear Vendor OD, Dana 60

nivvy

« Reply #8 on: April 25, 2008 - 05:26:43 AM »

Yup, they're easy to put in, a little tunnel mods to clear the unit and in she goes. We had trouble with the auto sequencer which "shouldn't" be available to public yet until they've worked out all the kinks. The stock "manual" unit is a drop in and play system, no dramas. :2cents:

didnt you say before it takes sometimes 2-5 seconds to ****............

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2008 - 07:39:08 AM »
didnt you say before it takes sometimes 2-5 seconds to nuts............

Yup, but we have gotten it to behave better. I haven't tried it for that. I am just glad the OD is staying in gear, that was our goal. The splitting is and always will be a gimmick. The stock system shifters quick and produces better results than the auto shift working correctly. Nice to say but in real world driving give me the stock trans.

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2008 - 08:39:06 AM »
I'm going to hold off on the Gear Vendors option then. Hell for that price I would expect the gear splitting to work correctly.

Offline hemiken

• Sr. Resident
  • Hemi-fied Mopar in Australia
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2008 - 08:41:08 AM »
I still recomend going the 518 overdrive Mopar box just for ease along with cost :2thumbs: just my :2cents:
1970 Barracuda   (O^--^===|===^--^O)
1971 Barracuda   (O O {]{]{]|[}[}[} O O)
1970 Challenger  (O O [======R/T=] O O)
1971 Challenger  (O O ===== ===== O O)
I pay homage to the best Mopars ever built.

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2008 - 12:07:30 PM »
I still recomend going the 518 overdrive Mopar box just for ease along with cost :2thumbs: just my :2cents:

Roughly whats the cost on that conversion. is it 904 or 727 based? lockup?
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Carlwalski

• C-C.com Expert
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2008 - 12:21:27 PM »
I'm going to hold off on the Gear Vendors option then. Hell for that price I would expect the gear splitting to work correctly.

It works but don't expect any of the dribble they advertise. When you look at the system you can see why, for starters, the OD on is engaged via a solenoid so pressure must be built up which in term takes time, around 1-2 seconds. Easy enough to get use to, just time it so you shift 2-3,000rpm before your normal shift point. It's good but IMO, only as an OD unit. You have to ask yourself, why not get a full proof A518, no "splitting" just a 4th gear, same as the GV except you pay half the cost (or less).

The good point about GVs is you maintain your #'s transmission. If my car wasn't a numbers car I'd pull the GV out in a heart beat and get a A518 or 5-Speed manual set up. To sum it up, I guess I fell for the GV blurbs on performance shifting, I was expecting pro-stock type 6 short ratio shifts but, ah, nope. Once the auto sequencer is finally worked out, which I believe mine is now (just giving it time to see if OD still wants to kick out, thus far, all good) I think it will be an "OK" unit. Just unfortunate that I was the guinea pig for Gear Vendors lack of product planning. I'd love to sit hear and talk it up as I own one but I can't, it's just not a good unit.  :-\

Offline Madmax440

« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2008 - 07:32:07 PM »
Thats exactly why I give your opinion so much credibility. Anyone that spent that much money on something, put as much time into it as you have, is more likely to talk good about it just so they don't look like someone that made a big mistake - You are a better man than most.