Author Topic: Rear sway bar options  (Read 2098 times)

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
Rear sway bar options
« on: April 26, 2008 - 09:19:52 PM »
Does anyone else in the aftermarket besides Firm Feel make a rear sway bar that mounts in the stock location?  I had a Helwig setup, but had to ditch it when I put on the subframe connectors.  Besides, I never really liked how it looked, hanging under the rear end.  I would like to get a new one, but my options appear to be limited to Firm Feel or an original, and I was hoping to keep it down around $200-$250. 

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
Re: Rear sway bar options
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2008 - 09:35:22 PM »
 :popcorn:
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

Offline GoodysGotaCuda

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2008 - 10:16:28 PM »
How is your front sway bar? You dont want a stiffer bar in the rear than the front, understeer.
Build Page: Goody's 'Cuda Build Page
1976 Dodge Warlock
1972 Barracuda - 5.7 Hemi + T56 Magnum

Wheel & Tire Specs:Link

Offline Aussie Challenger

• Resident
  • In Kansas loaded for Drive to West Coast.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2008 - 11:41:21 PM »
  Had my rear sway bar fitted before I picked up the car for shipping, fitted in the original places and cost $200 fitted.  The bar was an Addco.   :burnout:
Dave

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #4 on: April 27, 2008 - 03:36:49 AM »
Firm feel is the only true replacement I am aware of

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #5 on: April 27, 2008 - 10:40:36 AM »
Goody - My front sway bar is stock, but I'm not sure of the diameter (1" maybe?).  The rear I am looking at would be 3/4".  Does that seem like it would work?

Aussie - I had looked at Addco, but only saw kits that mounted under the rearend.  Do you happen to know the kit number of the one you got?  Thanks.

Offline Chryco Psycho

• Administrator
  • C-C.com Guru
  • 70 Challenger R/T SE 70 tube Chassis Cuda now sold
« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2008 - 12:13:52 PM »
that will work great , as long as the rear  the roll rate smaller you are ok , you can actually have a smaller bar with a higher roll rate , if the end levers are much shorter but in this case you should be fine assuming you are using the stock style bar

Challenger - You`ll wish You Hadn`t

• Resident
« Reply #7 on: April 28, 2008 - 07:34:00 AM »
  73Chally, my bar was fitted by "The Mopardude" in Kansas who I bought the Challenger off. He has a web site under that name and is a very helpfull guy.    :2thumbs:
  His name is Brad, he organised the bar for me and fitted it before I picked up the car.   :burnout:
  For any who are interested in fitting Keisler kits Brad has fitted quite a few and is an authorised installer. He has a section on his site about adapting these kits into E bodies.   :cooldancing:
Dave

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #8 on: April 28, 2008 - 04:14:26 PM »
  Had my rear sway bar fitted before I picked up the car for shipping, fitted in the original places and cost $200 fitted.  The bar was an Addco.   :burnout:

AC - Do you happen to know what model your Addco sway bar is?  I just received an email back from them after I had requested info on their model 261, and it actually looks like the frame mount is in the same location, just that the whole assembly is basically upside down compared to a stock sway bar.  The end links bolt to the frame rail above the axle, and the sway bar hangs below the axle.  This would work for me because the problem was the Helwig bar mounted in the same place as my sub-frame connectors, whicj is why I had to ditch it.  I will try to attach a picture of the assembly they sent me.

EDIT:  Sorry about the image size.  I converted from .pdf to .jpg, and for some reason my resizer will not let me shrink it.

Offline 422STROKER

• Sr. Resident
  • Member Since 6/3/06
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2008 - 05:49:43 PM »
That looks like it will work, I was able to keep the Hellwig and add the Subs, but I think You said you had a different mount.

Tom

By tdavist, shot with DSC-P72 at 2008-04-19
Tom
12.77 @ 108.87 15" Street Drag radial tires 3.23 gear

Offline CHUCKS71

• "IF YOUR NOT FIRST YOUR LAST"
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2008 - 08:56:52 PM »
I saw this ad in the new Mopar Action.It looks like Hotchkis is going to be doing B&E body sway bars and they look like the O.E. stuff.
:burnout::22yikes::burnout:    www.ronpaul2008.com
71 Challenger 4spd   www.conservativepunk.com
03 Ram diesel 6spd    http://s105.photobucket.com/albums/m222/chucknutz/1971%20Challenger/

• Resident
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2008 - 05:58:26 AM »
  My Challenger is at home 40 miles away, I will be going home at the weekend, try to snap a couple of pic's. Looks similar to the diagram, mine shouldn't interfere with sub frame connectors.
Dave

Offline 73Chally

• Resident
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2008 - 09:01:23 AM »
  My Challenger is at home 40 miles away, I will be going home at the weekend, try to snap a couple of pic's. Looks similar to the diagram, mine shouldn't interfere with sub frame connectors.
Thanks!  I will be anxiously waiting.  :bigsmile:

• Resident
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2008 - 05:43:44 AM »
  73Chally, I have taken a couple of pic's but am unable to download.
  The sway bar link goes straight up to the frame rail similar to the original, well clear of the front spring hanger. The bar is clamped to the rear axle housing below the axle but kicks up around the back of the hump so is not sitting lower than the axle, won't scrape. Will try to reload pic's on other computor and post.   :cheers:
  I have had major computor problems in the last few months and am working through them.
Dave

• Resident
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2008 - 08:28:33 AM »
  Got the pic's downloaded, hope they are clear enough, downsized, thanks Hemiken.
Dave