Author Topic: barracuda  (Read 4462 times)

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
  • "Big 'n Little" Member since 8/9/05
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
Re: barracuda
« Reply #30 on: May 03, 2008 - 01:13:33 PM »
Lookey at this, a Mustang Roadster made form a Miata!

1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Pic #2 and 3 of my ARII 1/24 scale model car 

Phil in New England-Massachusetts  Always thank God for what you have!

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/456046/1972-dodge-challenger

Offline baldy

« Reply #31 on: May 04, 2008 - 06:25:46 AM »
HI it's baldly. I'm new to this computer crap. I'm trying to figure out how to get picture out to you guys. This is my 3rd cuda , I've had now for 20 years. I had a convert once dad made me sell it when I went to art school. I loved driving with the top down. That's why I want to chop the roof off . Know that I finally have a garage and I only drove the car in nice weather I thought I might look in to this idea. I love the web site and the feed back. Still deciding on what to do. Mopar Man for life! THANKS.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
  • I'm working on it - No, really
« Reply #32 on: May 04, 2008 - 09:32:08 AM »
Hey, Baldy, to post a pic, at the bottom of the reply window click on Additional Options. That will open several options, one of which is Attach. Click Browse, find your (sized) pic and select it.

Where'd you go to art school?

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Advice Thread - Taking Pictures Of Cars

Offline baldy

« Reply #33 on: May 04, 2008 - 10:30:48 AM »
New England School of Art & Design in Boston. I'll try to get a picture out soon, one when I did the car over 20 years ago and one present pic.

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #34 on: May 04, 2008 - 10:44:54 AM »
New England School of Art & Design in Boston. I'll try to get a picture out soon, one when I did the car over 20 years ago and one present pic.

I did a year of filmmaking at the School of Visual Arts in NY. Ran out of money  :swear:

Look forward to seeing the car.

"She'll make point five past light speed. She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, and I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #35 on: May 04, 2008 - 10:56:07 AM »

:woo:  :clapping:  Another local boy!  Are you still in MA?

Is that school in Kenmore Square?  Behind a hotel type thing by the Mass Pike?

I had a convertible once too. (Sorry, not a Mopar, '69 LeMans.)   I sold it to go back to school too.  :walkaway:
1972 Dodge Challenger Rallye 340, AT, Code TB3=Super Blue, SBD=8/17/1971.  Yes, a Rallye without the fender louvers from the factory because of the body side molding option.

Offline baldy

« Reply #36 on: May 04, 2008 - 11:07:24 AM »
Yes live in Tyngsboro MA . The school is located near the Boston common close to the 4 season's hotel.

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #37 on: May 04, 2008 - 11:15:49 AM »
Ahhh....I think I remember now, I think I was thinking MassArt or something, I dunno....

I might be out near there (sort of, not really) Tuesday during the day to check out some parts, in Westford.  I have to check my schedual and see if the parts are still available.

You know, it's your car, sad to say (No offense to '73 Barracuda owners!) it's a '73 Barracuda with a 318, not like '70 with a big block, I say do what you like but just be careful and do it the right way, IF there is a right way... not 100% sure how to do it.  If it's a car you always wanted, go for it.  :thumbsup:  I know I can' afford a convertible E-body.  Someone on Ebay sold a '72 Challenger that they cut the roof off of several months ago, had the same idea as you did.  Would make a nice cruiser.

In Lynn yesterday there was an auction a couple of friends went to.  There was a '72 Challenger R/T convertible for sale, Plum Crazy, white interior, got as high as $41K but the seller wanted atleast $45K.  :faint:  Too much $$$ for me!

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #38 on: May 04, 2008 - 11:39:23 AM »
  Someone on Ebay sold a '72 Challenger that they cut the roof off of several months ago, had the same idea as you did.  Would make a nice cruiser.

About 20 years ago, back when I had my Javelin, I was at am AMC show in Brookline where I saw a guy who had made a 71 Javelin roadster. It was a beautiful car, although he left the points on the quarters where they would have met the roof and that kind of detracted from it. I recall thinking at the time that AMC should have made something like that. He told me that the only thing that really sucked was unexpected rain  :bigsmile:

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline baldy

« Reply #39 on: May 04, 2008 - 03:53:17 PM »
That's my thinking, only take out in good weather. The car is only a 318 thats not even the orignal engine. If I could chop it make it a roadsteer that would be cool with me. It came with a great red color with a white strip and white interior. I talked to a friend of mine that does rag tops and stuff he said we could make a boot that makes it look just like a convert. My thing is I just want to make it right with the frame. Me being bald I'm not worried about my hair if it rains. :bigshades:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #40 on: May 04, 2008 - 04:00:46 PM »
I talked to a friend of mine that does rag tops and stuff he said we could make a boot that makes it look just like a convert.

That's exactly what the Javelin guy did.

I agree with you and everyone else about making the frame right.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline baldy

« Reply #41 on: May 04, 2008 - 04:20:15 PM »
If I got a picture of convert frame, and copied that. That has to work. I have alot of friends that weld very good just need to be pointed in the right direction. :clueless:

Offline ChallengerHK

• Sr. Resident
« Reply #42 on: May 04, 2008 - 05:29:33 PM »
I'm far from an expert on this type of thing, but I think that, as someone else pointed out, factory convertibles had double wall rocker panels. A rocker seems like an easy shape to duplicate to me (allow to me to point out again that I'm not a body man  :)), or you might just be able to put some steel pipe in under the existing rocker. Point I'm getting at is, you might not be able to see everything you need to do in a pic.

- Han Solo, Star Wars

Offline Super Blue 72

• Permanent Resident
    • Phil's Super Blue '72
« Reply #43 on: May 04, 2008 - 08:40:38 PM »
... or you might just be able to put some steel pipe in under the existing rocker. .....

There was a kit car kit that turned a Honda Civic into a roadster.  This ws done by welding in round steel pipe into the rocker area to strengthen the frame.  With enough welding, anything is possible.  :grinyes: 

Besides, who's going to be crawling around under your car?  :dunno: